Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

The passenger window on my V5 is really struggling to close, goes about half way up ok and then drags its way shut. Is it likely to be a duff motor or something?

Its a 2001 car and im not sure if its had the regulators fixed as ive only just got it.

Ta

Joe

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are window regulator problems common to the Mk4, but sounds more like the window runners need lubricating. Usually the window will fall into the door if the regulator fails, not go slower.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This car looks like its had a very dirty existance in the past so wouldnt be suprised if some crud has fallen down into the door. I will try and take the door casing off and see what i can get too.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
What would you suggest to lubricate it with? as mine is currently doing the same thing

·
Registered
936 Posts
my drivers side window does exactly the same thing, goes up normal to about half-way then struggles the rest of the way. It also leaves streaks on the window which annoy the hell out of me which im thinking will be some crud on the seal. Im guessing getting to the point that needs lubrication will reuqire the door card being removed, also like pauls1820vtGolf says what do you suggest to lubricate with [:$]

Cheers,

Andy G

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Anyone? What do we need to lubricate the window runners with?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It looked like a thin film of grease on the cables - it shouldn't need lubricated as the wheels on the assembly are the bits that turn - they are very free and would not stick....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It's probably the common fault - get a repair kit from the stealers (they are cheapest) and then use this guide to replace:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

If it's sticking, don't use it - put it up and leave it until you confirm the problem. It can fall into the door, then you're left with an insecure car and it'll get rather wet inside until you fix it!!!

Chris
Is a window that is slow to shut from about 3/4 of the way up a sign that the regulators are on their way out? I thought my regulators had already been replaced as when the windows are fully open the glass still pokes out a bit.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Bump!

Can anyone advise me on this? If it sounds like the regulators then i'll order the repair kit tomorrow.

Thanks.
Sounds like it to me,but why not strip the door down to find out before you actually order that parts just in case it isn't?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The runners are the black felt type guides the glass slides in, talc does work and doesn't leave an oily mess like lubricant sprays. Try applying it with a cotton bud or something similar.

Neil
Oh, you mean the felt type stuff that the glass slides up and down around the edge of the door?

I was thinking of lubricating the runners that the regulator clips slide up and down. No harm in trying the talc idea first though as it means I won't have to pull the door to bits.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is also a problem with mine. It goes up half way then struggle the rest untill it stops about an inch away then i have to push it up by hand [:(]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts