Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I used to frequent this forum alot back in the day when I owned a 1.8T Mk4 (a car I still miss). I currently have a BMW 535 E39 BMW with a lovely V8 and the all important comfort factor. I am now lucky enough to be in a position to buy a fun two seater and have narrowed it down to the following: Porsche Cayman S and SLK55 AMG. Driven both and have concluded that the Porsche is the best handling car I have ever driven or sat in, is the perfect all round sports car. The SLK55 is the one that you remember, immense power (360bhp V8), handling not the same as the Porsche but still very good...well built and I think it looks better. Plus you got more car for you money with the SLK55, and the all important hardtop/convertible option. I will not be taking either car to a track most likely.

The one additional thing that the Porsche has going for it is that I have always hoped to own a Porsche, but somehow that doesn't seem to be such a big thing anymore with the ever expanding Porsche range. I really like both cars, but I am leaning towards the SLK..

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated...this forum is good for honest views. Anyone else who has experienced any of these two cars?

Cheers

Rahul

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd go for the Merc. Porsches just aren't special enough anymore, every office worker and his dog has one or is about to buy one. The Merc is a bit more exclusive, in my opinion looks much better, bit more stealthy and will hold its value a bit better than the Porsche.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'd go for the Porsche. Mercs just aren't special enough anymore, every office worker and his dog has one or is about to buy one. The Porsche is a bit more exclusive, in my opinion looks much better, bit more stealthy and will hold its value a bit better than the Merc.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
LOL @ MOB as usual!

Hi Rahul I remember you from the Watford meets and I think David Lloyd @ Bushey? Welcome back, I'm still in a Golf must be doing something wrong![:$]

I would say Porsche all day long. Haven't driven either of these cars, although an SL55 was fun but I wouldn't want one if I had the money. The Cayman does seem a great package and I've read so much about it I feel I've driven one LOL. This week's Autocar mag pitches the Cayman against the SLK55, M3 CS and RS4. The Cayman comes out extremely well (I think it "wins") but its more about the observations on each car's characteristics. I think you would have more fun, for longer, with a Cayman. Once you've blatted the SLK a few times you'll end up looking at the fuel tank needle too often. The Cayman has more finesse!

Wish I had the choice to make - enjoy whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
hehehehehe..........

I would have the Cayman over the Merc, but those Caymans seem a bit too expensive to me - a year old 911 or M3 CSL would be more tempting to me I think

·
Registered
437 Posts
LOL @ MOB as usual!

Hi Rahul I remember you from the Watford meets and I think David
Lloyd @ Bushey? Welcome back, I'm still in a Golf must be doing
something wrong![:$]
another David Lloyd Bushey member. I used to go 5/6 times a week until around 3 years ago. Whats the place like nowadays ?

As for the original question, I'd go for the Cayman purely because I've experienced Mercedes dealers and recent products.

There is a alternative though - used 996/7.

Mate of mine is in the process of buying one to do 20k per year in !

Might be worth considering ahead of the Cayman or SLK. Certainly what i'd go for given the choice.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
another David Lloyd Bushey member. I used to go 5/6 times a week until around 3 years ago. Whats the place like nowadays ?
Errrrrrrr, I used to go 5/6 times a week until around 3 years ago when my wife got pregnant. Now I've got 2 kids and manage to get along at the weekend to take them to the pool, and a Tuesday night with a neighbour for a lame attempt at a fitness workoout followed by a couple of Stellas [;)] It's the same place, has had a refit but its the same old faces, Chelsea tractors etc.

Keep an eye out for a black Anniversary with a forum sticker and I'll look for 4Mo's. I did see a DBP R32 the other day with AmD stickers (must be a fast one then......[^o)])

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments. I remember those meets, great to see other cars and people who really had enthusiasm for what they drove...

No longer a member at David Lloyd....hardly went to the place..working in the City meant I always got home too late and tired to think about driving to a gym. Just moved into the Linden Development off Rickmansworth Road, and have access to the pool and gym which is on site

It's a really difficult choice to make...not until 2 weeks back I didn't even think about an SLK55. I was determined that it was not the right car and that I would not like it, but just 30 minutes in the car and I knew I would have sleepness nights trying to make my mind up.

I really liked the Cayman....does what it is meant to do and more...but the SLK just left more of an impression for some reason. More power, better soundtrack, more kit, lower price, vario roof are the main plus points.

I am worried about Benz dealers, but my sister bought an A Class from Watford MB and no problems so far. Have had some really poor service from VW dealerships in the past even after having owned 2 mk4 GTi's. The BMW dealership in Watford is equally average, so maybe I am just used to (rap customer service.

Still undecided!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Keep an eye out for a black Anniversary with a forum sticker and I'll look for 4Mo's.
Don't go anymore - used to train regularly with one of the girls there
(think she was a manager) but then she fell out with my Mrs so no
choice but to stop.

Bushey is too far so on odd occasion I get to a gym its the Greenford
one. I think I've spend ?3k in the past 3 years and used my membersip
no more than 30 times !

Rahul good luck with your new motor - be sure to post pics whatever it turns out to be.

BTW, do you ever go onto Pistonheads ? Wealth of information on there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will def post pics when I finally decide. Pistonheads is great for info as is benzworld.

SLK55 seems to be popular out in the US...must be the V8 thing.

·
Banned
774 Posts
The Cayman is reckoned to be the best handling Porsche ever. So I'd choose it over the Mercedes for that reason alone.

Both are fairly common aspirational purchases within the reach of many so exclusivity isn't an issue. The Porsche's handling is going to make it feel special every time you drive it though.

I reckon the Cayman is going to hold it's value better merely because of the novelty value. Depending on how long you keep it you have the potential for 'free motoring'. Correctly optioned of course.

My only worries would be that it's a lot to pay for boxster with a hard top and some engine tweaks.

As for Mercedes dealers I've only heard bad things about them since they changed the way they do business some years ago, I wouldn't go anywhere near them till their service reputation gets better.

OPC's have one of the best reputations around, remember you buy the package not just the car.

Ask yourself this question: is the car mostly for driving enjoyment? If so take the Porsche, if not and the drawbacks aren't a problem to you take the Merc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Completely agree about the Porsche being a better sports car...it was great to drive. If I was looking for the best handling car out there I would have no doubt about the Porsche. The car is going to be used by us for weekend trips and long weekends in Europe, as well as fun drives when bored. Open top motoring I think will be a thrill esp with the V8 soundtrack and spring/summer round the corner. Will prob go back to Porsche Hatfield again on the weekend to take one more look and then make up my mind. This is tough!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I cant get away with that new SLK at all...... its the most feminine looking car i've seen in years, i hate it.

Considering the 'standard' Boxster is one of the best cars around, id go for the Cayman, no doubt about it. Even the 2.7 makes a sensational noise!

·
Banned
774 Posts
I actually think the new SLK looks a lot more agressive and masculine than the old model ever did. All small roadsters (other than a few old British cars I can think of) have a bit of a girly image but overall I think the SLK doesn't scream 'hairdresser' like say a TT roadster.

From what Wolf's said he wants to use it for I reckon the SLK is going to be a better bet for his needs. I'd still have reservations based on depreciation and primarily the awful service, reliability and build quality Mercedes are known for these days. Never been in a new SLK but these are meant to address some of the build issues so might be OK. It's a shame Mercedes dealers are reknowned for being some of the worst there are though.

A caveat though, did you see the SLK being driven by Vicky Butler-Doo-Dah on Fifth Gear? I know track ability isn't the be all and end all but I don't think I could live with a car that's meant to be fun that drives the way it did. If you want to see the episode, Wolf, I have a link to a bit torrent somewhere. PM me for it if you haven't seen it.

Have to say the Cayman commands more respect than the Mercedes from the cognoscenti as well.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It's a shame Mercedes dealers are reknowned for being some of the worst there are though.
I thought this too, but a lad from work took his 02 plate CLK200 in the other day as one of his wheels had began bubbling. To my utter disbelief the service manager took a quick look at his car, and promptly ordered in FOUR replacement alloys for him, which he had fitted 4 days later.

Now thats service - thats the lads first ever Mercedes, it is coming to the end of its warranty, and is not exactly one of their highest paying customers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts