Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My pd150 has a slight hesitation when you press the accelerator after taking your foot right off. Anybody got any advice for where to start looking for the problem?

It happens when you take foot off then back on slowly.

Ta

Paul

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
This is a symptom i had every time i was leaking boost, each time it was due to a boost pipe from the intercooler either popped off, or on its way to pop off.

Everytime i fixed the leak the hesitation went.

Are you noticing any extra smoke behind you?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cant say I have noticed extra smoke but there could be.

I do have issues with the cooler pipes popping off every now n then so it could well be related.

Did you manage to fix the leaks?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Yes i had to replace 1 of the pipes that comes from the intercooler and also the pancake pipe, both of them had failed due to worn lugs inside, even when still connected they were slightlly leaking boost before they fully failed.

Symptom was exactlly as you said ...... 'a slight hesitation when you press the accelerator after taking your foot right off, It happens when you take foot off then back on slowly.'

I understand all our cars are slightlly individual, but boost leak was the cause for me.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It could also be EGR related

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill probably look into replacing the cooler pipes/seals/clips anyway, anybody know how many pipes/seals/clips there are on the fmic?

Aham, the EGR valve, is this somthing that soots up and can be cleaned or would it require a new part?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If you have the ability to reset CEL lights just removing the top hose and blocking it will show if its EGR related. Your car has a 50% of putting a warning light up for incorrect flow.

There are 100,000 posts about cleaning egr valves

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
If you have the ability to reset CEL lights just removing the top hose and blocking it will show if its EGR related. Your car has a 50% of putting a warning light up for incorrect flow.

There are 100,000 posts about cleaning egr valves
My egr is so blocked up that it started making the anti shudder flap inside it stick on shutdown, this would stop the car from firing up next time i came to it and the engine would turn with a feeling of no compression (regardless of hot or cold), wouldnt start up untill the flap re opened ...... took me a while to realise what was going on. I believe the main thing that made it start sticking in the 1st place (apart from the obvious crap inside it) ... was driving about for too long with boost leaks.

Once i fixed my boost leaks proper my anti shudder flap stopped sticking within a couple of weeks. I know it must still be FULL of crap in there thats why an egr delete kit is coming soon. Still running 204bhp on standard engine turbo setup with very restricted egr.

OP check the pipes coming from the intercooler from underneath your car, look around the joins on the fat pipes and you might see a patch of oil around the join indicating leaking boost.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had the front bumper off today to fit a new wing, while it was off popped the ic pipe back on and put a screw in it, the hesitation is all but gone. Well diagnosed pokerdude

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Glad you fixed it easy mate, nice ride ..... now how about selling me your headlights, i heard black cars should have the black lights and silver cars should have the silver like mine [^o)] [Y]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Who told you that lol.

I did notice today the o/s headlight had condensation [brick]

I've spent £1400 on it this month, could do without new headlight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts