Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like im driving on ice when i go round bends!!! why?!!!! It's bad enough in the dry but in the rain its horrendous. I know cars will slide a bit in the rain but im sure they're not supposed to slide as much as mine does. Roundabouts are hell! Ask Mike!!! Ive nearly crashed at least 3 times so far.

Is it my tyres? Or my 18's?

Help!

Bex.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Is it the front pushing wide or are you full-on sideways? Sounds seriously wrong, I have to really misjudge/push it in the rain to make mine slide, what tyres you got, what's the tread like, are they at the correct pressure (over-inflated will lose lots of grip) have you had a full wheel alignment, blah... More likely to be tyres than wheels.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
It's just yer driving love, its commonplace for women drivers, especially blond ones to have these problems [:)]

Seriously though, either overinflated tyres, bad tread, bad tyre design or just too damn fast!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Havent checked the tyre pressure at all, but wouldn't they have come properly inflated? Not sure on the exact size of the tyres will have to check tomorrow. The tread is fine on them though. Might be that i go too fast but I have slowed down recently because of it and its still happening. Its the back end that slides though....happened tonight on a really big roundabout [:(] Suspension is standard and ive gotta front strut brace which does F all!!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Tyres naturally deflate over time, and it's especially important to check the pressure regularly if you have large wheels as the low profile tyre doesn't leave a lot of room for error. I run 17s and check mine every two weeks no matter what.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tyres naturally deflate over time, and it's especially important to check the pressure regularly if you have large wheels as the low profile tyre doesn't leave a lot of room for error. I run 17s and check mine every two weeks no matter what.
I have been meaning to get them checked for a few months now just havent got round to it. Surely my tyres are going to be under inflated then, so that cant be the reason im on ice all the time.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Havent checked the tyre pressure at all, but wouldn't they have come properly inflated? Not sure on the exact size of the tyres will have to check tomorrow. The tread is fine on them though. Might be that i go too fast but I have slowed down recently because of it and its still happening. Its the back end that slides though....happened tonight on a really big roundabout [:(] Suspension is standard and ive gotta front strut brace which does F all!!!
Ok........colour of the tyres.....???! lol

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Havent checked the tyre pressure at all, but wouldn't they have come properly inflated?
PMSL such a typical female comment!! [:D]

Your car also came with correct oil level, I really hope you are actively checking that!! [;)]

·
Registered
516 Posts
Also check to see if you've got directional tyres and that they are fitted correctly. If they are directional they should have an arrow for direction of rotation or a message saying "this side facing outwards".

Worth a look as this would cause sliding.

Then if that all checks out with the tyre pressures, you'll need to get into wheel alignment or suspension issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Havent checked the tyre pressure at all, but wouldn't they have come properly inflated?
PMSL such a typical female comment!! [:D]

Your car also came with correct oil level, I really hope you are actively checking that!! [;)]
LOL I seriously keep forgeting! Yeah i am ACTIVELY checking my oil level, thats the prob with a 2.0 [:(] I check that once a week [:)]

Still havent managed to check the tyre size etc.....i'll go and do it now before i forget LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right they are 225/40/18's and they are all on the right way round ie. the arrows are in the right direction. All i need to do now is check the pressures. They seem really hard so i doubt they are under inflated.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Right they are 225/40/18's and they are all on the right way round ie. the arrows are in the right direction. All i need to do now is check the pressures. They seem really hard so i doubt they are under inflated.

Thanks for the help so far.
Bex

Over inflation (particularly when it's cold and wet like this time of year) will see a serious lack of grip, if they do turn out to be a little over done! If that's the case, just dropping them a couple of PSI should see a significant increase in grip, and a little less "I've just papp'd myself" look on your face [;)]

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Can you do 50 in a straight line in the dry and quickly turn the wheel left and right twice a second (say 3-4" either way) without any sliding or screeching? Try 2.1 bar at the front and 2.0 at the rear, then up it 0.1 bar both ends if it still grips well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
SLOW DOWN WOMAN...Ha Ha Ha.[au].... [:D] How come Mike hasn`t helped you out on this matter [:p]....some B/F he is..LOL..sure he`s only sat at home on his A##...and there`s you out on the streets at warp factor 10 risking your life!!!

wrong pressures and crap winter roads...= [&] POO handling....[N][N][:(]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Reminds me of a funny thing many years ago when i was far braver and indeed sharper in a car than I am now!, I had my fast road registered /race fiesta, a very well tweaked constant Work IN Progress 1.9 mk 2. I had pretty nicely dialed in, but found a nasty upseting moment on one particualr corner a few miles from my house, a fast left hander, at the bottom of a hill (dual carriageway). Car would grip like glue but in this one corner, it would just skip accross the road rather alarmingly at times. I was not sure if it wasa roll bar issue or just bottoming out or damper settings. Everywhere else it was great, just limpet like!

So in the absence of t'internet, (1988 this was!) I called the "CCC tech help line" at Car and Car conversions magazine,(the only and by far the best to this day tuning mag at the time) to speak to one fo their resident gurus. And they had poper tech set up guys that knew their stuff too.

Phone that day was manned by Art MArkus, a kiwi race driver of some reknown and throughly nice guy proper car journo. He knew my car from a few sprints etc I did, (it was pretty memorable in bubble gum pink too!!). But after listening patiently to the symptoms and asking a few questions on the current srt up and tweaks I had tied, he seemed flumoxed!

Art "So what sort of speed are we talking this occurs at, Simon?"

Me "er about 115 to 120...."

Art, (in thick antipodian drawl!) "Strewth!!!.............................. try going round at 110!"

And you know what, ...he was right too!![;)]

(and no, my v well sorted mk4 cannot get to within 15mph of that nowadays!!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you do 50 in a straight line in the dry and quickly turn the wheel left and right twice a second (say 3-4" either way) without any sliding or screeching? Try 2.1 bar at the front and 2.0 at the rear, then up it 0.1 bar both ends if it still grips well.
Hmmm ill try it on the way to work tomorrow. If im not on tomorrow night then you will know whats happened.

Theres another problem ive got actually, a shakey steering wheel when i brake.........warped disks? I have to be doing over 40 for it to happen though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts