Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky have today taken ?160.15 from my bank account, they requested in on 24th Nov and its come up on my online banking today.

Basically had a right nightmare trying to talk to sky about it. The transaction has come under 'SKY ONLINE LIVINGSTON'.

Can sky broadband customers tell me whether this is the description they get as Sky are telling me that I have broadband with them when I don't and thats why the charge is there, but they have no records of me as a broadband customer, neither do they even cover my area. Sky Online is based in Livingston, yet they will not accept it.

I am a sky customer, but TV only and the basic package which gets charged under 'SKY DIGITAL'.

Basically been speaking to people who can't understand me, I can't understand them in call centres, asked to speak to someone english and got a speil about equal rights. Anyway, got an english bloke, apparently I paid for sky plus, he thinks but there is no record for this. Sky broadband do not wish to comment as as far as they are concerned I'm nothing to do with them, when I try to say they have taken it, as I don't have an account with them, they havent and thats final.

VERY poor customer service from sky. I been left now with HSBC doing an enquiry and they have stopped my card and issued a new one. I do still have my debit card, so not as if someones nicked it, plus if they had purchased something using my card it would have been on sky's systems, who apparently for confidentiality resons can not and will not tell me whether they have pulled ?160.15 from that card number on 24th november at 11pm. (HSBC can tell me everything).

The retailer number for the transaction matches sky online also. Anyone had any experience of this type of thing? What happens? HSBC are investigating, but as it's a switch card, can they actually pull my money back?

So, all those who are a sky customer PLEASE check your bank statements for any strange things.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Cheers for the warning, will let my parents know!

I don't see how they can possibly think that they're in the right!! Surely, the fact they don't even offer BB in your area confirms that you shouldn't be paying for it!!!!!!

If I were you, I'd be asking for a copy of your BB order or demand your money back. You should also threaten to cancel your Sky membership if they don't resolve the issue to your complete satisfaction and I'd also consider getting Trading Standards involved if they don't give you the refund.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You have my sympathy, SKY customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with.

I won't bore you with the problems that I have had with their accounts department, but I can tell you that I now pay by cheque only. They have no access to my cards and I just top the account up by cheque from time to time.

Ask to speak to a manager, then keep going up the chain, I've been to director level with them.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as they are concerned they haven't taken any money from me apart from my usual direct debit. The charge comes under broadband, because that's what would come up on your bank statement if you were charged for broadband, at least thats what they tell me. Another person insisted I had ordered Sky Plus as it would cost ?160. I asked if there was any record of me ordering this, they said no, but still insisted I must have done and that I will have a letter stating this.

Best they could come up with was offering me a statement in the post to show what I had paid them.

HSBC will hopefully rectify it.

Either way, ?160 is damn expensive broadband!

It would be better if I could understand them and they could understand me. Couldn't even say my name. 'Grima' was my name. I tried to get the point across that ?160 is a lot of money to lose, but they just insisted that they had not taken any money from my account. Couldn't get to talk to the managers, they just spoke to their managers themselves, and the managers were busy..so they kept passing messages on.

Basically saying there is nothing they could do, they have not taken it....but my bank statement says they have!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sky's online software is very badly written (just some insider knowledge [;)] trust me very insider knowledge). I wound't be suprised if the wrong card was charged on someone else's account.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sky's online software is very badly written (just some insider knowledge [;)] trust me very insider knowledge). I wound't be suprised if the wrong card was charged on someone else's account.
Do you work for sky!?

Like I say, I do not have any services from Sky apart from Sky Digital, of which payments are correct. I have enquired about sky broadband, but that was all, and that was online, wanted them to tell me when the service is avaliable in my area.

Could they really get my card mixed up with someone elses account and charge me under the broadband arm of sky? I can't even talk to sky broadband about it as they can't trace me, no account number, so won't tell me anything.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't work for sky, but I do work for a company that does all the infrastructure/apps for the sky online (J2EE) stuff.  The code we get from there dolopers (read developers) can be very poor at times.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Keep kicking up a stink, and keep going all the way up as high as you can go. You can then threaten to cancel all your Sky subcriptions and tell them you will go for NTL/Telewest instead unless they appologise for taking the money illegally from your account.

You will either get 6 months free subscription, or maybe an offer on Sky HD

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, cheers mate.

Just rang broadband again and insisted they speak to me or get the manager to speak to me.

They couldnt let me speak to the manager, but the bloke, irish this time was very helpful. Basically I've got to get my bank statement from HSBC, i.e. on their letterhead, highlight the transaction, write to the correspondance department along with all the details of the transaction. Also I have to put a formal complaint in.

This time they are disputing that if it was Sky Braodband it would come up as SKY ONLINE LIVINGSTON. They are saying it would come under my sky TV package and be billed by SKY DIGITAL. He's also a bit baffled as to where the ?160 has come from and is telling me I may have ordered Sky HD. [:^)]

He said to ask for a goodwill gesture, they will normally give ?15....wow.

Basically my day off now has been take up by this. Can't use my debit card anymore, going to have to change all my payment details to everyone who uses the card, have to wait for another card in the post, so can't go to a cash machine to get any money out and am ?160 down!

Now, I'm wondering. Is it possible that my card has actually been used fraudulenlty? (sp). I don't see how though, and I don't see why if it was used in that way, they would take ?160 and 15 pence! If they were going to scam me, surely it would be for a couple of grand or more, not ?160.15

Glad I buy everything on my credit card really and just pay the credit card off each month. I don't buy anything using my switch card, just pay bills and pay for services with it, such as Sky TV, Electric, Water, Rent, Council tax etc. Anything else is bought on CC because of the points I get and the cover I also get.

Argh. Imagine how this would effect someone who has budgeted for that month. ?160 is a lot of money to just disspear to sky without a trace. Funny that one bloke asked me to call the bank to get the reference number for the transaction and no one else is interested. The english bloke told me this reference number is made up of the last 6 digits being your account number, so they can trace the account. Now, everyones saying this is useless and is the banks reference number...if only I could just talk to the billing department, but no one will let me.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep kicking up a stink, and keep going all the way up as high as you can go. You can then threaten to cancel all your Sky subcriptions and tell them you will go for NTL/Telewest instead unless they appologise for taking the money illegally from your account.

You will either get 6 months free subscription, or maybe an offer on Sky HD
This is the thing, I can't get to speak to anybody. It's not Sky Digitals problem apparently, it's their online services. They won't let me speak to the managers or the managers are to busy because I don't have an account with them, so not their customer. Been on the phone 4 times.

Will try again in an hour. Will ring Sky Digital and ask to go straight to the manager. I am their customer, so will kick up a stink.

The reference number for the transaction does not in any way match my account number. The reference number HSBC gave me (seperate from the retailer number) is made up of 9 digits. Thinking of how I pay bills, the reference number is usually your account number. Surely in this case they could match the ref number HSBC have given me to an account?

For reference, does ANYBODY get this coming up on their statements? I.e the description?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have you ordered anything form the Interactive service from Sky?

Have you ordered any box office movies and had your phone line disconnected?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ordered the hills have eyes last month on box office, which has been picked up and billed for. Other than that, no.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure you havent been pressing the red button on the "adult" sections of sky? haahaha
Pretty sure! Plus I have the internet! Plus, they would have said 'yer sir, you been watching our softcore 'filth' hence you have been charged ?160!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Did you actually order HD? I've not got Sky at all...do you have to sign an agreement or anything?

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
migrated my broadband to sky

been 10 days and still no hardware or progress as such!

thank god the sky broadband helpline is still in the UK!!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Well, someone tell me if I'm wrong but I think that by taking money out of your account, for something that you haven't ordered / authorised is illegal (?). I'd definately get on to Trading Standards and tell Sky you're going to do so unless a manager calls you back by close of business.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HSBC have said the transaction was done with security number, but 'customer not present'.

They will have my security number as thats the card they use for Sky Digital. Gonna have another go now.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
We only got Sky Broadband this month so haven't made a payment yet, and it is from my wife's account.

But I do know that it will come out under her usual Sky payment as we had a letter yesterday from Sky saying that the monthly payment will go up by the ?5 that Broadband is costing us. There won't be a seperate payment for Sky BB and another for Sky TV, just one payment to whoever it usually says.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts