Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Click

Looks attractive but I wonder if there's any hidden costs/catches.

I've been thinking of shopping around recently because even though Pipex are reliable they're a bit on the expensive side and I can get more for less with other ISP's.

Sky Talk looks pretty good too - unlimited UK calls. That's another area I've been looking at changing recently because there are so many suppliers cheaper than BT.

Their broadband looks too good to be true though[:S]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Can't comment, though you'd expect Sky to be able to provide a decent service. The only thing I can say is that I know so many people who've had no end of trouble with low cost ISPs (my work colleague is currently in a daily war with Bulldog over something or other) - that's not to say they're all bad, just my observation, yet as you say, Pipex might be more expensive but how often do you have problems with it?! I'm on Blueyonder and wouldn't swap it for anything (the aforementioned work colleague is aghast at what I pay, but then I don't have 1% of the problems he gets), sure there have been outages in the last three years but nothing in life is 100% and I would consider it reasonable. Don't get me started on NTL, the number of times I've had to deal with their tech support... I was stunned when I read of NTL merging with or taking over Blueyonder, but I digress...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The max product looks very good for a tenner a month.

However, it states about being in their area. What does this mean? You can get Sky TV? I can't find anywhere to find out if your in their area.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Can't comment, though you'd expect Sky to be able to provide a decent service. The only thing I can say is that I know so many people who've had no end of trouble with low cost ISPs (my work colleague is currently in a daily war with Bulldog over something or other) - that's not to say they're all bad, just my observation, yet as you say, Pipex might be more expensive but how often do you have problems with it?! I'm on Blueyonder and wouldn't swap it for anything (the aforementioned work colleague is aghast at what I pay, but then I don't have 1% of the problems he gets), sure there have been outages in the last three years but nothing in life is 100% and I would consider it reasonable. Don't get me started on NTL, the number of times I've had to deal with their tech support... I was stunned when I read of NTL merging with or taking over Blueyonder, but I digress...
i just had this offer through the post too. i'm also on blueyonder (10meg) and have had nothing but pure sailing with a few upgrades and price dops along the way. it is however ?35 a month

this sky deal looks great for ?10 i could get up to 16meg and upload could be 768k (double my current u/l)

however i only took out my contract with blueyonder in april (despite being a customer for 4 years before hand at home) and am locked to 12 months

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Has anyone signed up to this yet?

Sounds like a VERY good offer, one not to resist. Im thinking of getting it but first wanted some feedback by people who already have it.

You cant really go wrong for a tenner a month. Only downside is the 12 month contract.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a letter/flyer through this morning saying that it's not available in my area yet, but if I sign up to Sky Connect I will automatically be upgraded to one of the other packages when they become available.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yep I got this through the post today, does not look a bad deal on paper! I have this in my area as I assume it will go on the adsl bt line. I am tempted however had a load of hassle when I went over to Ukonline and good job I did not leave NTL as they stuffed it right up I never had service at all, they released me from the 12 contract and refunded. So I am still with NTL and very reluctant to leave now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
dont quote me on this but....

....i think you will find that Sky Broadband and Ukonline are one in the same as i believe that it is Easynet that sky have merged with, Easynet and Ukonline are the same company (Ukonline are the Home Broadband Service and Easynet were the bussiness Broadband service)

·
Registered
627 Posts
The only thing I can say is that I know so many people who've had no end of trouble with low cost ISPs (my work colleague is currently in a daily war with Bulldog over something or other)
So am I, been in a fight with them for a few months now but they constantly ignore everything anyone says to em! Bulldog customer service is absolutely appaling. They wouldn't be able to organise a drinking game in a brewery. Sky can't be as bad as Bulldog, and if I wasn't stuck in a contrack with aforementioned useless mutt, I'd be over to Sky like a shot!

Hopefully Bulldog will go bust soon or get shut down. Apparently they're being bought out.. hopefully by someone decent who'll sack all the useless staff!

·
Registered
586 Posts
According to the media BT are releasing a product in September to compete with Sky's offer, BT Vision. Don't know much about it yet but hopefully it will urge some others to drop prices and make the market a bit more competitive again. Should see some good deals shortly I feel, as companies try to tie their customers into contracts.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I just wish some companies would open up these great offers to more than just the major cities.

I can't get ANY good deals whatsoever where I live, nor can my mate and he lives in Exeter. No one caters for us.

So ISP companies, release something UK wide instead of concentrating on the major citites!

I got a choice of BT basically. That's it, so can only use ISP's that use BT hardware. Sky don't cover me even though I got Sky Digital. no Cable, no Talk Talk!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not so much that Sky and Easynet have merged, more that Sky have bought Easynet outright.

At the moment you are limited to using one of the UKO\Easynet LLU exchanges, but if you live in a decent-sized town you are probably already included, use UKOs checker to see if you are (dunno if Sky have one up yet). There are plans to increase the coverage of the LLU network significantly over the next year.

On thing I spotted within the T&Cs for Sky is (like many now) a fairly restrictive cap on usage. At least my UKO account is unlimited (in theory).

I too had mahoosive problems with my initial setup - they were having major problems at the time, and I was two months without service, but got these refunded. Only problems since were down to my router slow-cooking itself...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bulldog's saving grace. No caps on anything and no traffic shaping at all and it runs at full tilt all the time. Sounds brilliant. It is, I get a sustained superb 6.5meg... until something goes wrong, which is quite often.

Well, stuck with em for 10 months now, so I might as well download as much junk as I can. But I'd far rather be with BT or someone else, even though they cap things

·
Registered
890 Posts
I ordered sky yesterday and was hoping to get the free broadband and wasn't even too bothered about having to pay an extra fiver a month to increase the cap if i ever went over their limits, but i was told on the phone that neither the base or mid packages are available, only the aforementioned "connect" one. This costs 40 quid to set up and 17 quid a month afterwards. I've decided to wait 'til its free in my area and then add it then.

Currently looking at other providers, although i'm reluctant to sign up with anyone if i can get ot for free when it could be a matter of weeks.

Does anyone know any inside info as to what area are going to be enabled when? (a sky engineer on the forum would be handy! LOL)

[Y]

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
A sky engineer wouldn't be able to tell you jack, unless they are clued up about LLU in the BT exchanges.

LLU = Local Loop Unbundling. This basically means that ISP's can put their own kit in BT's exchanges so they are not so dependent upon BT for connections to the ADSL network.

Currently for non LLU exchanges, a customer places an order with lets say, Nildram who in turn raises an order with BT ADSL wholesale who in turn pass an job onto the BT ADSL centre in Manchester who arrange for a customer account (username, password, CLID auth etc) to be setup. A job is then created for a local engineer (local to the customers exchange) to actually create the physical connections to complete the order and make the customer live. This whole process has a lead time of up to 12 days.
This is what the ?17 month sky charge for which from memory i think BT charge them ?11.

Sky and other ISPs such as CPW (car phone warehouse/talk talk) can only afford to offer free or cheap services when they are LLU in the exchanges as it's their own kit as aformentioned.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have sky broadband, I only have one problem and that is I need to reboot the router approx once a week.  I have a found a program which will do this for me, it constantly look for an internet connection when it doesn't see one it will reboot the router. PM if you would like this program. It is called 'Mossywell Bounce Sky Router' if you want to google it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts