Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Estoril Blue has just bought an Octavia VRS and is well chuffed with it! There's a couple of others on here too I think.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If anyone is the same age range as me a Skoda brings to mind a little tin  box (Very Boxy!) like the old Lada's... But I really do like the VRS's's's's

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yip, I've got a Fabia vRS. It's a brilliant little car, not a bad word to say about it.

Considering that for the same money I'd have struggled to get a 3year old Golf 130pd, it's an absolute bargain too.

The plastics on the interior are a litle bit harder and cheaper than the Golf (but not noticably worse than a Polo) and it feels every bit as well put together.

Early days yet with regards to reliability as it's only 2 months old but so far so good.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Equivalent to a GTI would be the Octavia vRS (same 1.8t as the golfy) pushing out 180ps. I like em. You could probably pick a high-ish mileage one for around 6k-7k.

Equivalent to a TDI would be the Fabia vRS (has the 1.9 pd 130)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Octavia vRS, Fabia vRS and the Superb are the only models worth going for. But they are very good and well spec'd.
What's wrong with the Octavia 4x4 1.8T? Basically the same engine as the vRS but with 4wd and a short ratio gearbox.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
I worked for a Skoda dealer for 5 years.

LOVE the cars.

Octavia , Fabia and Superb.

Thats all they do.

The Felicia and Favorits are older cars.

I have just clocked up 100k in my Felicia Diesel and still get easy 52 to gallon.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Estoril Blue has just bought an Octavia VRS and is well chuffed with it! There's a couple of others on here too I think.
I certainly did! I love it to bits, it has a larger interior and boot (handy for me) and ive just had it Revo'd so it flies!

Highly Recommended! Although I loved my Golf...I dont miss it. [:$]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so whats cheaper to insure a golf gti 18t or the skoda equivelant ?

and the golf tdi and the skoda equivelant ? [*-)]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Look at parkers to get all the insurance groups, but just so you know....

my 150bhp 1.8T GTI was ins gp. 14, the VRS 1.8T 180bhp is ins grp 16.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you don't need a huge boot, then don't discount the Fabia vRS - I measured one up on internal dimensions and it's hardly any smaller, if at all, than my Golf inside!

Only group 9 insurance (or something similar) too....

All of them are bargains compared to their VW badged cousins. I'm surprised how ignorant many VW owners are to the other VAG brands sometimes - though these thoughts are definately NOT related to this thread directly before anyone throws their rattle out of the pram!!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
One of my mates hate the fabia vrs and ize wise externally they don't look any different. Internally I have a bigger boot, comfier seats, more leg room in the front and back too. I do like them, but I like more space. Just my opionion though. [:)]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
All of them are bargains compared to their VW badged cousins. I'm
surprised how ignorant many VW owners are to the other VAG brands
sometimes - though these thoughts are definately NOT related to this
thread directly before anyone throws their rattle out of the pram!!!!
Totally agree there, i came from a GTI 1.8T to the Leon and am happier than ever.

I looked a lot at Skodas before i turned to SEAT, great great cars.....
i nearly bought an Octavia VRS, but i didnt really fancy a car that
big, have no need for it. The opposite of the Fabia VRS, just a tad too
small for me. If they had a sporty Golf-sized motor they'd be onto a
winner - but there may be a reason why they dont!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Being honest the Leon/Toledo is as per the Golf as the interior and dash is very similar although the trim quality is not as good (not a huge difference either though).

The chassis is better set up than the Golfs and the prices are far keener. The Skoda is in the same boat as the Seat and both are ignored at the buyers peril.

Imagine a 1.8T 180bhp AUQ engined 6 speed Golf with 11k miles, FSH and in great condition on an 04 plate for ?6k. Possible on in a Seat and close to budget on a Skoda. No chance with a VW. In fact a 4-5 year old Golf/Bora with the same engine (30bhp less and only 5 speed) would cost that much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts