Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Bought a brand new SKF driveshaft after installing a slightly refurbished gearbox. Judging by the weldwork, the quality doesn't seem 1st class considering it's a rotating part. I'm no expert though, but my worry is that these welds will cause imbalance and mess up bearings in the gearbox etc.

The SKF driveshaft was sold out everywhere on the interenet and elswhere here in Norway, so i bought it on German ebay, meaning it's a complete hassle to make any form of complaint. Very interested to hear any opinions one way or another

Attachments

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,800 Posts
Imbalance is really caused by a torque being applied, so mass x distance.

Need to remember that you're only accounting for the mass of the 'extra' weld - so stuff if you ground it back until you got it perfectly smooth would be the mass you're considering. Multiply that by the distance which is less than 20mm and you have basically nothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok your answers have reassured me.. I thought about the small quantities that are often removed during balancing of components, but it makes sense given the small distance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.