Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had my TDi 'PES' since October but I've been a dubber for a good few years since buying my first which was a MK2 gti 8v. I have always wanted a MK4 because in my humble opinion they are the best looking. Due to the fact I commute over 500 miles a week there was no option but to have a TDi. My budget sadly didn't allow for the 130 so I decided the 110 would suit my needs. I wanted eithe rblack or silver so when PES came along I parted with the readies and had what can only be described as a lovely drive home.

Anyways the humble spec is it's a 2001 MK4 GT TDi 110 with the 'newer' ASV engine in reflex silver. 132K on the clock and totally un-molested which is excellent.

All I have done so far is replace the MAF as there was a little limp mode issue. Then I replaced the temp sensor for the newer green one.

Things I want to do so far is obviously lower it and get some tidy wheels. I need to sort the doors as they are a little out of line. The glove box needs a new flap also. Carbon fibre bonnet and a maybe little tasteful carbon fibre here and there. Then once a trip to this years edition38 has been done I'm sure all of this will change as I soak up some new ideas

Anyways here are some pics, like I say all standard still so a nice blank canvas to work with. [^^] Watch this space....... [:)]

Taken by my four year old son [clap]

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so a little immediate up-date, I had this arrive this morning

Posted Image

So of course I've had to immediatly fit it. This went pretty well tbh. I only really struggled with the dreaded third bolt on the EGR delete but once this was removed it really was a piece of cake.

I must mention the excellent service from Allard with them getting it to me only two days after ordering it, so very happy.

Here it is fitted, looks rather tidy and is my first piece of 'shiny' under the bonnet.

Posted Image

If you have not done this yet all I can say is DO IT!!! The car is far smoother through the rev range and as you can see bellow the crud in the EGR is truely an eye opener [:O]

Posted Image

I still havn't got rid of it going into limp mode when giving it some beans so that is going to be my next project.

·
Tim Sr
13,503 Posts
Nice motor bud, and well done on the progress so far.

Your limp mode issues are probably being caused by Sticky VNT/Veins on the turbo. Its a very common occurrence, and whilst can be improved somewhat with the use of some cleaning products, it can also sometimes only be cured with a replacement or refurbished turbo.

Best thing is to get it scanned with VagCom, or better yet, a boost log recorded so you can see if your limp mode issues are being caused by overboost (given it does it when you try to give it the beans, its possible).

Also, go have a hunt on the forum for the air-line cleanup guide. As you've removed your EGR, you can massively simplify the air-line system which reduces the amount of leaks that could occur in future, as well as making the car a lot more responsive.

Heck you could even find its something stupid like the N75 line which controls the turbo which has ruptured or has a nick in it or something.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I thought I'd do a little up-date. Firstly thanks for the kind words timbombfg. I managed to narrow the limp mode down to the actuator arm on the turbo needing a good clean!!! Strangely though it still does it only in fourth gear at 2.5K revs, bit odd. Anyways I got my hands on a couple of interior bits. I got a replacement centre arm rest and glovebox for £35, bargain me thinks. Nice and quick replacement for both. One thing to be carefull of when replacing your glovebox is the light wires etc. When you pull it out just have them in mind. Glad I got these bits done as they were in need of being sorted. Anyways on with the pics. Next thing....... wheels...... watch this space

Before with cardboard keeping the glovebox secure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After, much better.

Posted Image

Thanks for looking [Y]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, time for another up-date. I had these bought for me by my wonderful fiance. [In-love]

Posted Image

They came with plenty of tread and were a bit of a bargain. I like them because they compliment the silver of the car nicely...... well I think so anyway.

Posted Image

After fitting them I thought I'd take a few pics in some nice evening light. Now before you all say it, yes I know it needs some nice coilovers and dropping around 50mm. Thats all in the pipeline.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking and any constructive comments, as always, are welcome [:D]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My next little project has been what is like marmite, some love it and others hate it. Me personally I love it so I ordered a stickerbomb book from our friends at Amazon and hey presto it turned up the next day. I prepped the cover using some white spirit which cleaned off any dirt and crud. My missus has been itching to do it so I left her with the book and let her creative side go wild. I think she has done a pretty awesome job. Some clear lacquer in the morning and job done. I will post some pics of it all fitted. In the meantime.....on with the pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a close up of the hallowed veedub logo.

Posted Image

thanks again for looking [H]

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just read it all, Good looking motor! and love the sticker bomb! Does need its JOM's tho :p

Really need to EGR delete mine..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks MitchGT, nice to hear peeps are reading my ramblings lol. Yeah the EGR delete is a good and cheap mod. Only probs with having the wheels is its totally killing my MPG but hey ho. Thanks again

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the kind words chaps. Yup another 110 on the scene. Nice know there are a few of us [:)]

MitchGT, the actual job wasnt hard to do, it's all very straight forward. The only hasle I (and quite a few others) had was with the sodding third bolt. You will know what I mean when you go to do it.

I used good quality allen keys to do it as without them you won't be able to do it. Don't be frightened of it, it really is a simple job, but WELL worth it.

Shame your quite a distance away as I would help you with it. [;)]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have to agree, the Alard EGR delete has done the job perfectly, good customer service by them too

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time for a bit of an up-date. I have now stickerbombed my review mirror. In the photos the edges look a little rough but I have since sorted them. Enjoy...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm going to do the little sun visor above the mirror next, so stay tuned.... also I have cleaned out my manifold after my EGR delete so I shall pop some pics up of that soon along with some anni springs news. Thanks for looking [:)]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So time for an up-date. I have cleaned out my manifold using a bucket of petrol which was a very rewarding task. Grot everywhere but nice to know it's good and clean now. Re-used the gasket and used some excellent sealant on both sides which has done the job wonderfully.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I said earlier that there was an anni spring up-date. Well I fitted them and was just not happy with the fact they didn't really lower the car at all. So I won't bother posting pics up etc. Next up is the removal of the rear wiper and motor etc. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, next up is the removal of my rear wiper. Really simple to do and only took around 15 minutes. I think it makes the rear of the car look so much cleaner. Oh and added some stickers for fun [:S] I want to cover much more of the window but all in good time. On with the pics:

Removed all the covering which took a little forcing but all came off in one piece.

Posted Image

Once all was removed I simply attached the water hose to a fixing point on the boot and cable tied it up so it wont leak.

Posted Image

Then popped in a 24mm grommet from halfords and gave it a good sealing up so no leaks.

Posted Image

All popped back together and looking good, oh and the mentioned stickers.....

Posted Image

Next up I have replaced the front dogbone bushes with polys, as I didn't take any pics of the me doing the job so I shall pop a pic up of the bushes. I have to say this was a total pig of a job to do, BUT well worth the effort and peace of mind. Also handing that much better so happy days.

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 25 Posts