Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on what the meaning of the coloured letters (in red) are on the boot of a Golf Diesel. I believe it can signify which bhp engine is in them?

Thanks

Frank

·
Registered
352 Posts
TDI - 110bhp - 115bhp engine
TDI - 130bhp engine
TDI - 150bhp engine - Anniversary Editions showed GTI in silver.

I think this is correct - if not then I shall be corrected soon enough.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This has been covered many times, they don't mean a thing! They can be changed by anyone very easily, and are said to have been set by dealerships to distinguish trim levels.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah can be badged as whatever the dealer feels like but as VW intended it is:-

All silver TDi - 90
Red i - 110
Red Di - 115/130
Red TDi - 150 (only meant for Bora 150 TDi's Golfs were supposed to be all silver GTi like the NA GTi, but with all red TDi on the engine cover)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
874 Posts
This has been covered many times, they don't mean a thing! They can be changed by anyone very easily, and are said to have been set by dealerships to distinguish trim levels.
Rubbish!

The GTI badges can sometimes be a bit random due to the differences between the UK and the rest of europe but the TDI badges are consistant. They are as follows

TDI (all silver) = 90bhp

TDI = 110bhp or 100bhp PD from model year 2003 on

TDI = 115PD, 130PD or 100PD up to model year 2003

TDI = 150bhp This should only be seen on Boras, but will occasionally be seen on Golfs (which should be badged GTI for the UK) as this is how they are badged in Europe.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Rubbish!

The GTI badges can sometimes be a bit random due to the differences between the UK and the rest of europe but the TDI badges are consistant. They are as follows

TDI (all silver) = 90bhp

TDI = 150bhp This should only be seen on Boras, but will occasionally be seen on Golfs (which should be badged GTI for the UK) as this is how they are badged in Europe.
Spot on, my father has a PD100 Passat and it has red D and I. Also all the Irish PD150s have all the letters red, they dont use the GTI badge as they are Highlines not GTIs

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah can be badged as whatever the dealer feels like but as VW intended it is:-

All silver TDi - 90
Red i - 110
Red Di - 115/130
Red TDi - 150 (only meant for Bora 150 TDi's Golfs were supposed to be all silver GTi like the NA GTi, but with all red TDi on the engine cover)

Hope this helps.
Car's come to the dealership badged up, so we dont adjust them for trim levels, the sake of it or cos its we have left on the shelf! Above 'should' be correct, it only changes after its left the dealer if the guy who owns it wants in to look like a 130 when its a 90 or its been in a rear-ender and the wrong badge has been replaced...just to set the record straight [;)]

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Rubbish!

TDI (all silver) = 90bhp

This is correct

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rubbish!

TDI (all silver) = 90bhp

Although | have seen a few cars with the GT TDI badge on the back, mine included. Mine is a TDI 150 that was import from Denmark.

Just to make life easier, I'm going to swap it for a TDI badge [;)]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just to add some extra clarification to the debate, the 100 TDI PD was all silver up to MY 2003 (June 2002). It was the Passat version that had a red D and I in MY 2003 - then it reverted back to a single red I because it was all too damn confusing.

TDI = 90 TDI and 100 PD from launch in Oct 2001 to June 2002

TDI = 110 TDI. 100 PD from model year 2003 onwards (June 2002)

TDI = 115 PD, 130 PD

GTI = 150 PD in the UK from MY 2003 although some will be badged GTI (because the red I was a dealer addition.)Bizarrely it was also from June 2002 that the Golf 150 GTI petrol came from the factory with it's proper badging - and not relying on dealers to add the red I as before.

TDI = was only ever officially badged on Boras, but will occasionally be seen on parallel import Golfs and customer modified cars

Too bloomin' confusing by half, if in doubt check the data sticker...[;)]

·
Registered
874 Posts
The 100PD Golf was badged as TDI before MY2003 because VW used the red DI to signify the PD engines before, as you say, it all became to confusing.

If you look carfully enough you will see plenty of 51/02 plate Golfs with non-GTI lights and black bump strips (which means they are not GT spec so can't be 115 or 130's) which are badged up as TDI.

There are far too may about for this to be owners doing it themselves or dealers getting it wrong- added to the fact that most owners of these cars have no inclination to mod there cars either!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just working off the VW UK bulletin from June 2002. There were about 20,000 parallel imported Golfsbrought into the UK in 2001 and 2. Most were115/130 TDI's but you see many don't have the colour pack or darkened rear lenses/ Is it possible that many of these are imports?

I can't remember precisely - I've racked my brains on this one - but all I have is this bulletin to work from ...

Posted Image

·
Registered
346 Posts
Waw just trying to read that makes me confused. Does from new mean from the factory and they changed badges afterwards?

How come the tdi pd 75 bhp lupo gets a red i and the same engine in the polo is a red di?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got the 2002 150bhp 1.9 diesel GT TDi PD which is badged as GTI in silver lettering on the boot - On the engine cover is TDI in red

·
Registered
70 Posts
Waw just trying to read that makes me confused. Does from new mean from the factory and they changed badges afterwards?

How come the tdi pd 75 bhp lupo gets a red i and the same engine in the polo is a red di?
It was all over the place.

What it boils down to was that each production team was independant - to the point that they started banging some heads together when it all got a bit silly!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts