Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I'll start off by saying all help and advice is welcome.

Problem started one day when as if by majic the caution beep followed by "Airbag Fault" came up on the display. Took it to the steelers and they turned it off, for 2 days! Took it back again and it was ££sell you house an hour labour and it could take them nearly forever to find the fault. Need less to say thought I'd have a go myself!!

So, VAG-COM said:
Address 15 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 1C0 909 605 A
Component: 27 AIRBAG VW51 01 02
Coding: 12855
Shop #: WSC 01317
1 Fault Found:
01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag: Driver Side (G179)
37-00 - Faulty

Eventually found said item under the drivers side carpet just in front of the seat (right hand drive car), wiggled the wires in case of a loose connection but no joy.

Did the dirty and found required item on e-bay (6Q0 909 606), replaced but get following now:

Control Module Part Number: 1C0 909 605 A
Component and/or Version: 27 AIRBAG VW51 01 02
Software Coding: 12855
Work Shop Code: WSC 01317
1 Fault Found:
01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag: Driver Side (G179)
62-00 - No or Incorrect Adjustment

Now this is what I think so could all be wrong. I think that this unit needs resetting or coded to the car somehow, if so not sure how hence the help needed.

Does anyone out there have any idea on this or is it a lost cause??

Thanks, BB.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. Replacement sensor has same part numbers as original though, even tried 2 (unless they're broke too). I'll just have to have a play tomorrow.

Thanks though Sebastian.

BB

·
Registered
348 Posts
Replacement sensor has same part numbers as original though...
I'm 100% sure the numbers are different!

What is the original part number? Make the new one is 6Q0-909-606-001, nothing else would work!
What are the values in MVB 009 of your airbag control module?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I know nothing about Vag Com and am probably totaly out on this one but you have checked the loom under the seat havn't you?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you, but this fault code clearly states a wrong crash sensor, not a wiring problem. The crash sensor sends it's identification to the airbag control module and in cases like this where one fitted the wrong part, the control module recognizes it and throws the above fault code.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh, got the 6Q0 909 606 off the side on both but not sure about the 001 on the end. you could be on to something there. I'll have to look (would post a pic if i knew how!!) Few other numbers on the top on a white sticker but not sure what they are, maybe id numbers for the sensor.

I'll have to check the numbers in MVB 009 tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sebastian, do you know if it's possible to change the identification that the control module looks for????

BB

·
Registered
348 Posts
you could be on to something there.
I know I am. [H]

Sebastian, do you know if it's possible to
change the identification that the control module looks for????
Even if you find a way, each sensor has a specific characteristic which is marked by the ID. So changing the ID won't alter that characteristic, which could result in incorrect/suboptimal behavior in a crash situation and I'm sure you don't want that. FWIW, a new sensor is ~60 GBP - not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So am i right in thinking that a VW dealer would be able to supply a 001 and it should just plug straight in and work or would the dealer have to fit it too? (just don't fancy paying labour costs now i know where it is etc)

You're a star, thanks. Glad someone knows about this!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
So am i right in thinking that a VW dealer would be able to supply a 001 and it should just plug straight in and work or would the dealer have to fit it too?
Yep, buy it, plug it in (make sure to use the specified torque!), double check for fault codes and ID and it should be fine.

You're a star, thanks. Glad someone knows about this!!
Wait with thanking me until it's fixed, then you'll get my bank details.[:p]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sebastian, must be nice to be right!??! [:S]

mvb 009: 02 01 not installed not installed

So looks like i got an 002 off e-bay, at least it was only US$12 I suppose. Will call my local dealer for the correct part tomorrow.

Thanks again, will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sebastian, spot on!!

Got a new module today with the 001 and works a treat.

Thanks very much for your help!

BB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like I have a similar problem I have a 2001 Beetle and need a new side impact sensor. Have bought 2 from breakers but now find out there are 2 types. Version fitted is 0, looks like the ones I bought are 1's. Didn't realise they were different types with the same part number

Codes when light came on then codes with 2nd hand sensor fitted

Monday, 09 May 2011, 19:54:23:0

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0

Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 A

Component and/or Version: 1T AIRBAG VW5 0D 0006

Software Coding: 12628

Work Shop Code: WSC 00066

1 Fault Found:

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180)

28-00 - Short to Plus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, 02 June 2011, 19:27:01:0

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0

Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 A

Component and/or Version: 1T AIRBAG VW5 0D 0006

Software Coding: 12628

Work Shop Code: WSC 00066

1 Fault Found:

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180)

62-00 - No or Incorrect Adjustment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have checked continuity of wires from Module to sensor and all ok, so would you agree that if I fitted the correct sensor then hopefully should be ok?

Many thanks

VIN:WVWZZZ9CZ1M648271

1 - 19 of 19 Posts