Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gradually aquiring some components to build myself a new PC.

I know I'm going to be basing it on a Shuttle but not sure what HDD to go for.

Looking for fast access to lots of photos and a decent amount of storage, probably min of 250GB

Can anyone make any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My research was for low noise, apparently u can't beat Samsung Spinpoint for low noise. But I ended up winning a maxtor on ebay.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
[:|]

Hope you have better luck than I have had in the last 9 years [:S]
Me too!!

But HDD life give mine the big thumbs up (currently 77%) . I've been on forums and some people swear by Maxtor, others by Samsung. Often people contradict each other. So, I went for the one I liked the most. I read thier return rate is one of the lowest - but with stats being manipulated who knows!!

I wanted one which I could swap in easy, thier maxblast software was great. Everything transfered across fine. Sold my old maxtor to a mate.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've been on forums and some people swear by Maxtor, others by Samsung. Often people contradict each other.
That's the problem with end user reviews and opinions, they're often based on limited experience and lack of scientific foundation ("Oh, the one I bought was bad so diss the product in general..." sort of sour grapes). I'm going by the number of drives I've returned under warranty working in the trade over this many years and all of them have been Maxtor. We installed our first full Gigabit network 2 years ago including new servers and workstations, unfortunately management misquoted the workstations and got the wrong processors, so they had to buy the correct processors at a higher price and cut cost somewhere else... My heart sank when I was presented with a box of the cheapest Maxtor drives available. Sure enough they have been failing one after the other and we're being accused of selling cheap rubbish by the customer.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've been on forums and some people swear by Maxtor, others by Samsung. Often people contradict each other.
That's the problem with end user reviews and opinions, they're often based on limited experience and lack of scientific foundation ("Oh, the one I bought was bad so diss the product in general..." sort of sour grapes). I'm going by the number of drives I've returned under warranty working in the trade over this many years and all of them have been Maxtor. We installed our first full Gigabit network 2 years ago including new servers and workstations, unfortunately management misquoted the workstations and got the wrong processors, so they had to buy the correct processors at a higher price and cut cost somewhere else... My heart sank when I was presented with a box of the cheapest Maxtor drives available. Sure enough they have been failing one after the other and we're being accused of selling cheap rubbish by the customer.
Doh!!

well i hope that my PC is ok!! I've got a maxtor dimondmax 9 - (I think).

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seagate Barracuda SATA. Quiet, fast, 5 year warranty. Not that this is an excuse not to back stuff up, so beware...
Thanks for the info, any ideas where to get them from other than the dreaded eBay!

Might be after some advce on processors too! Dual core I think...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I think I have settled on a 400gb Seagte Barracudda drive... Now onto the processor!!!

I'm probably going for this shuttle as a starting point....

CLICKY

As I'm buying it bit by bit cost of processor is not too much of an issue. Don't want to pay through the nose for the latest and greatest but I would like it to be a decent spec.... Your recommendations please!!!

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
That already ties you down to AMD Socket 939, and as is always the case, the ones in the middle will give best bang per buck, but the top ones will save you time every time you use them, and you only buy a processor once... [;)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts