Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this section and usually use the autoglym super resin then the gold one for a final shine. Ive looked at a few pics of golfs on here and the shine i s far better than the autoglym. Any ideas for a newcomer on how to get a nice deep shine on my golf ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used to use Autoglym, but I now use Meguiars NXT wax topped up with some P21S Carnauba Wax. Either wax will give you excellent results, particularly the P21S stuff [Y] and are much better than Autoglym IMO.

I use a claybar every now and then to remove the contaminants that washing can't remove and to keep the paintwork silky smooth [:)].

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Swissol. Search on the forum for it.

Posted Image
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I am new to this section and usually use the autoglym super resin then the gold one for a final shine. Ive looked at a few pics of golfs on here and the shine i s far better than the autoglym. Any ideas for a newcomer on how to get a nice deep shine on my golf ?
What colour is your car? Dark colours, while being a pain to maintain and show up swirls more easily, give the deepest shine when properly treated.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
P.S. If you have a lighter colour in particular, a clay bar treatment will make it visibly cleaner. I thought my Reflex Silver was quite clean but I saw more of the real colour after going over with a clay bar for the first time in four years. Finally, after all that hard work, nothing beats parking on a petrol station forecourt at night. Choose a relatively new station with very white forecourt lighting, and the depth of shine will amaze you! It's priceless.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
It really depends on 2 issues mostly

1. How much do you want to spend.

2. The colour & condition of your paint.

Q.1 A: The current favourite of mine is to use Klasse All in One followed by Klasse Sealant Glaze, topped off with P21S.

These 3 product will cost you about ?50 in total, (plus cloths & applicators), but for about ?13 you can get hold of Meguairs NXT wax, which gives amazing results too.

Q.2 A: Lighter colours are very hard to get a "Deep Shine" that has depth, the darker colours such as Black, Red, Blue & Anthracite are able to give off amazing deep shines. Saying that, with the right materials a reasonable depth of shine can be acheived with silver.

You may also want to go over the paint work first with an item called "Clay Bar", this is a soft clay like material which removes all the surface crud, which results in the paint work being very very smooth, thus giving a better shine.

Take a look at Serious Performance's web site, they have all the stuff I've spoke about & you get a 10% forum discount [Y]

I just had to take this pic yesterday after washing her,the shine realy impressed me & there was no new wax applied , just the Klasse & P21S I put on her a few weeks back...

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Just goes to show different people have different ways of doing things...

My black A3 above had a paint cleanser put on it first to remove all the previous wax and

marks on the paint followed by a polish to remove all the swirl marks etc and then finally a

coat of Zymol concours wax to ge the deep shine you see in the pics.

J.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
How much does paint cleanser cost??

Also doesn't fairy liquid just do the same thing as paint cleanser in regarding to stripping off the wax layers on your car??

Thanks Sonny

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Yes it does but Fairy liquid contains salt amongst other things and isn't that gentle.

There are various paint cleansers on the market I think the meguairs one is about ?7.99

and the swissol/zymol versions are ?20 for the smaller bottles.

J.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rfsteel that shine looks the mutts nuts !!!!! mine is the metallic black so does show up every scratch.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What is the NXT? just polish? and what prep would you do first ????
NXT is a sythetic Wax which basically means it lasts a little longer (I
think) P21 gives better results as Ive heard and seen! But doesnt last
as long as its a pure wax!

I think on the prep side of things -

I usually polish first (gently) as some are abrasive (paint thining!)
and then wax. A lot of chaps claybar first which is meant to give
wicked results! It does take some time to do though....

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts