Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start jury service tomorrow, so i will be parking my car all day in Peterborough town centre for up to 2 weeks. I hadn't really thought about it untill now, but there is always the chance of some chav scratching it, or stealing it! Also, car park dings from all the mad shoppers! lol Any cause for concern, or am i just making a fuss over nothing? Im off today to find the court ect, so i will probably find a car park too, i think it will be a multi-story
Normally my car is parking in a (fairly) quite villiage, so i have nothing to worry about there.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hello mate,

To be honest i'd be flapping it! I try my up most to never park my golf in a multistory, or a super maket car park, to the point now where i have a second car for going shopping in. Have you thought about getting the bus or a taxi, if your on jury service won't they cover all your expences? like if the case run's over they put you up in a hotel, so can't see why they won't cover your traveling expences. Think i'd even walk there on my hands before parking my car in a multi story!!

but i'm ultra paraniod about this issue, but if you want to keep your car dent free you got to think about it!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There's a couple of open air car parks near the courts. There is a short stay behind the cathedral over the road from the courts, this gets busy though. And further down the road is a long stay next to the open air swimming pool (The Lido) this isn't as busy and they use the grass area next to it as an overrun when it does get to rammed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Matt what do you mean? are you for real? whats more serious than keeping dents off your pride and joy, or maybe you have been lucky and never had trouble, or you've got enough money not to worry about it. Either way nothing winds me up more, coming back to my car and finding some numpty has parked 2 inches from my car.

I had a really nice red mk2 16v one owner never been sprayed. I always used to park in the furthest corner of a car park. Even then people would park next to it. Once i came back to it to find a woman with both doors of her jag against it and her pram lent against my boot lid[:mad:]. the pram got slung and both her doors kicked shut, she looked at me as if i was mad, and at that point i was, i few choice words and i think she got the point. Some people have no respect for there own cars and even less for others.

So leave a car i've paid 10k for and many hours making it my own, fills me with dread. ( and i know what i've spent is only pennies compared to some on here).

"It's only a car" dosen't work for me. I spend far to much time working for my money, and time polishing and maintaining my car for some other to mash it up.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
In Ikea yesterday, came back to the car and the passenger wing mirror was bent back towards the car and the housing slighty raised with a scratch on it, smalll scratch on door as well.

Now either some numpty reversed out and caught me, or someone with their bags of cap managed to bang into it on the way past.

Good job it was that wing mirror as housing already has a crack in it and I need a new one!!

It is annoying when others don't respect your property.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
That's another thing, when you park away from everyone else and someone still comes and parks next to you [:mad:]

I park at the station every morning, and granted it is going to fill up. But I make sure I go down a few spaces and park away from everyone and really line it up in the bay. Many a time when you do this by the time you've turned off the engine and about to open the door, quick glance in the mirror and there is someone about to pull into the space next to you and take your door off. I always now make sure I open the door and take plenty of time to get out and sort myself out [:mad:]

Pees them off but hey, there's a whole car park out there!!!! RANT over.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This happened to me last week in a car park with loads of spaces, was parked about 30 seconds when two diff cars both driven by women parked either side of me WHY do people do this? there must have been at lease 200 spare spaces lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
I know the feeling, I've got a dent on my passenger door that looks huge from an angle due to my works car park. I'm ultra careful where I park now, usually I go in the bigger spaces near a wall/rail!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hello mate, I live in Huntingdon, and my girlfriend works in
Peterborough. She drives a brand new Astra [:$] and is always paranoid
about parking it. She parks in the LIDO swimming pool car park, I think
it's called The Wirrina Car Park. About 5 minutes from the court house
and some decent sized spaces too!!

I'd advise you to stay away from multi-storey's as most people tend to
drive into those spaces (rather than reverse) and make a crap job of it
too. Plus you're more likely to have upwards of 5-10 cars park next to
yours throughout the day, whereas most people who park in Wirrina are
there for the day cos it's so much cheaper. The swimming pool car park
is ?2.50 for the day, unless they've changed it since I've been. Gotta
beat crazy Queensgate prices!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If it's a multi-storey, I go right to the very top and right in a corner. For me it's worth it every time as there are just too many careless oiks out there.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You have to worry also if you park it out the way. Not so on all car parks but ive seen it on supermarket car parks, some people usually park on the far out skirts and this gives car theives a great getaway. Smash a window , reach in and run off over the fence etc . ive seen it happen twice.

Myself i will never pull into a parking space unless i can open all doors pretty much full. I know this wont stop nobody parking next to me while im away but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to check it out earlier, there are a few open car parks around! There is actually one right next to the court, so i think i will use this.

Getting a bus would be a lot of hassle, there is no bus from my villiage to p'borough, so i'd have to get a couple of different buses to get there, and probably at stupid times too.

After seeing the car park, i feel much more confident. So hopefully all will be well! It has cctv, not that this will stop idiots from putting a dent in my car!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello mate, I live in Huntingdon, and my girlfriend works in Peterborough. She drives a brand new Astra [:$] and is always paranoid about parking it. She parks in the LIDO swimming pool car park, I think it's called The Wirrina Car Park. About 5 minutes from the court house and some decent sized spaces too!!

I'd advise you to stay away from multi-storey's as most people tend to drive into those spaces (rather than reverse) and make a crap job of it too. Plus you're more likely to have upwards of 5-10 cars park next to yours throughout the day, whereas most people who park in Wirrina are there for the day cos it's so much cheaper. The swimming pool car park is ?2.50 for the day, unless they've changed it since I've been. Gotta beat crazy Queensgate prices!!!!

Andy
Hi Andy,

This is helpful, i think i will park in the car park you suggest, the prices in the court car park were much more than that! Something like ?6 for 5-6 hours.

Is the swimming pool car park the next one after the court? I did see the Lido, so it can't be far.

Thanks for that mate.

David

·
Registered
414 Posts
As you come into Peterborough off the parkway (Jct 5 Boongate) and head up the hill to the roundabout, turn left there follow the road past the BP garage on the left, left at the mini roundabout and it's on your right. If you see a blue 05 Astra, park next to it! At least it's one side covered!!! Lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As you come into Peterborough off the parkway (Jct 5 Boongate) and head up the hill to the roundabout, turn left there follow the road past the BP garage on the left, left at the mini roundabout and it's on your right. If you see a blue 05 Astra, park next to it! At least it's one side covered!!! Lol
Parked in the Lido car park, it was 2.50, so much cheaper than anywhere else!

Sorry, Chris, i forgot you'd mentioned the Lido! [:$] Thanks for the help guys.

btw, my car was fine after day 1! Another 9 (possibly more) to go!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Parked in the Lido car park, it was 2.50, so much cheaper than anywhere else! Im pretty sure i saw your gf's car, but she already had cars either side! 05 plate ending ecy?

Sorry, Chris, i forgot you'd mentioned the Lido! [:$] Thanks for the help guys.

btw, my car was fine after day 1! Another 9 (possibly more) to go!
Yeah that's the one, she loves it and I must say it's one of the better ones I've seen about. She's there for 7:45 most days, so you gotta get up early to get next to her! Lol I showed her the benefits of Clay Bar and Megs Quik Detailer. I couldn't get it back off her!! Glad your motor's ok, you get a nice spot?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol, looked a bit muddy on the back though [:p]! I certainly wouldn't complain, 05! My car is an S! Its a nice looking little motor!

She was quite near the entrance, saw her car straight away! I was thinking, 'wonder if i will see this blue astra!' and then there it was! I got there about 9ish, so it was already pretty full, i parked right towards the back, didn't get a great spot, but i noticed the same car was on my right when i left, obviously been there all day! Much better than having people in and out all day, like queensgate! And for 2pounds 50! Can't complain.

[Y]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts