Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting dialema...

I work in telecoms as a design engineer, have dual reporting in the form of a line manager and a project team. I've been at my current company for 5 and three quarter years.

I've been reporting to my current line manager for over 18 months now and I've always found him to be belligerent, confrontational and generally unapproachable. He has failed to manage my work load when I have flagged potential issues and pretended they don't exist until the issues develop into problems and has asked why they were not flagged sooner. Also training isn't a problem until you ask for it and then, it's never denied, merely takes months to deal with any request and even then, it's not guaranteed.

I've worked with the project team for 4 or so years now and they're a great bunch of people, always having a laugh and generally look after one another.

I decided to start looking for a job back in August since my job is technology based and training is required to keep up with technology. Money was not my driver for looking, just the lack of training and the conflict of personalities with my line manager. I let the head of the project team know as a matter of courtesy that I was interviewing, given the long standing relationship.

The head of the project team has been raising concerns over me potentially leaving with some very senior people within the company and whilst this has been going on, my line manager has had someone installed between him and the guy he used to report to, which I would effectively deem a demotion. My understanding is that senior management want me to stay and the guy who's been installed above my line manager seems keen for me to stay in light of the exposure that his superiors have had to my situation of wanting to leave.

All the while, I've been interviewing and have had a job offer that I'm willing to accept. The money is decent, the line manager seems decent and they seem keen for me to grow into this role, which is a rung or two further up the career ladder than where I'm at right now.

My current job has a basic+car allowance+health care+annual bonus if company meet's it's targets.

The new job has basic+sales related bonus if I meet my targets. The basic is about 5k more than my current basic+car allowance

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Many people get made a manager when they talk more crap than they can fix... keeps them out of the way of real work.

Bottom line: you have to be happy in your job, otherwise what's the point. If someone is standing in the way of job satisfaction, f*** 'em. Leave.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My criteria for a potential counter offer is match or better salary on offer, draw up 24 month training plan and give me a new line manager.

If they did all that, would you still say leave?

My problem with this is the new line manager thing might come back to haunt me at some stage if there are yet more organisational changes down the line.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I know I've offered a simplistic view - and I stick with it. If you're not happy now, leave. You might be unhappy again in future, or you might not be for a long time at least. Deal with problems as they come, not worry about what might not be. Otherwise you'll find yourself with very little time for living and enjoying life.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Personally I would go, if your that fed up with the situation to actually start interviewing then I think you have already made your mind up.

A change is as good as a rest. Go somewhere and make the most of it.

J.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Money was not my driver for looking, just the lack of training and the conflict of personalities with my line manager.

My understanding is that senior management want me to stay and the guy who's been installed above my line manager seems keen for me to stay in light of the exposure that his superiors have had to my situation of wanting to leave.

Thoughts?
From what you say it appears your situation has arisen due to a clash of personalties with your immediate boss not your working conditions.

With that in mind, does anyone else have the same conflict with this individual or is it unique to yourself. If others don't get on with him / her then the problem lies with the line manager's people skills by not realising others true potential.

How strong is the senior management. Once you have disclosed your intention to quit have they established why you want to leave. If as you say the senior management want you to stay then they should do something about the cause of your problem, your line manager. Ultimately though they will have to decide who is more valuable to the company, harsh but a fact of life.

Having discussed your position with senior management,if they do nothing to resolve your situation then maybe moving to pastures new is the best option. Personality clashes can happen in all walks of life so there's nothing to say you start a new job and find a similiar siuation.

I'd be guided as to how your present senior managers manage. If they're worth their salt they'll do something to help and keep you with them, if not, move on.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
From what you've said, I'd be off too. You're not getting the training that you're after and it sounds like your manager is difficult, to say the least.

I've had a similar sounding manager before now and it's a very uncomfortable situation.

Do you know much about the new company? What do their employees think of working there?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I have an interesting dialema...

I work in telecoms as a design engineer, have dual reporting in the form of a line manager and a project team. I've been at my current company for 5 and three quarter years.
Just had a thought mate, shall we both chuck in the IT crap and set up shop in Southall? We'd be driving Ranger Rovers and 911s in no time [Y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
been there done it.... line managers who were clueless or worse had it totally in for me.

in the end the company side tracked the line manager installed a team leader inbetween us and all was good for a while, BUT this guy still had a say so it was normally me that got it, it wasnt so much he was vindictive he was just a yes man to his boss... so if i wanted to carry 2 days holiday over to move house 1 week after holiday cut off time, he would say no... when I knew it was feasible.... when the whole company left at 12 on a christmas he wouldnt ask for the same on our behalf... so we would be 4 people left in work till 5 out of 100... Little things like this constantly to make himself look better but made our lives alot more awkward.

In the end I left, but not before having my review, with directors and I let rip about petty rules and a complete lack feedback (it had taken 4 years to get a review) 30 minutes after the review I resigned ...

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would go mate, there is no point flogging a dead horse.

I have faced your dilemma many times in the past, it was the main reason I decided to work for myself as an IT contractor years ago. If your skills are in high demand, and your able to learn on the job without attending training courses, then do it. I would take another role, or look to do something where you are master of your own destiny. As Shiuming said, you 2 could team up and go and make a killing

I know it may seem like a big step to take, but once you're out there you'll probably wish you'd done it sooner.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I had a meeting with my manager and director above him today; they put their counter offer on the table, so to speak. 20% pay rise to match what I've been offered and the training I require personally and for the business.

It basically matches everything I have been offered elsewhere although some of it came across as lip service. I spoke to a few people as to what they would do and one person suggested speaking to the director's boss.

I phoned up the VP and we had a one hour chat about everything that has been and gone as well as how things currently stand. He confirmed everything and came over as very genuine (something he's known for being within the company). The only thing it boiled down to was me not having confidence in my line manager and resigned on that basis.

The director has offered to have me reporting directly into him until further notice or have an alternate reporting line but coculd assure me that my current line manager would not be my line manager ever again!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
931 Posts
if i was you mate, and i was unhappy at work, had another one lined up, i would be off. allmost done it meself a few times. end of thet day you gotta look after number 1 and be selfish

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My opinion is go, personally I think you may have just made the matter worse in the long run.

You've made the leap, got another job go for it.

J.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the counter offer was too good to refuse, told the agency and other company that I'm staying due to the counter offer. The agency were trying to convince me to go through with the move for like 15-20mins on the phone.

I spent 5 mins on the phone with the hiring manager later on today, he understood why and said he would have done the same in my situation but said to hold on to his business card if things don't work out or if I want a job in the future!

I've got assurances of line management for the next 12 months so that helps alot and I've got everything in writing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts