Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a car at the end of November. Paid in full and had no trouble with the payment being sent.

I sent a courier to pick up the car without a viewing. Car was delivered about a week later.

I'm happy with the condition of the car. Everything is as advertised.

HOWEVER.

The car was advertised with 12 months MOT, a V5 and a 2nd key.

The seller gave me the service history & log book, but there is no proof of current MOT, no second key and no V5. He said he would post the documents & key to me.

Three weeks ago I asked him what was happening, and he said he would send it all ASAP.

Now he isn't answering my texts or calls.

Should I get the police involved? I've paid in full yet the car isn't legally mine, and the DVLA are un-aware of the new owner because this guy is taking the piss. I can't get the car on the road without proof of MOT either.

Where do I stand here?

·
King Dogger
13,907 Posts
No v5 = don't purchase for me. Why you only ever do cash on collection. Unless you have a reciept or something you have no proof you paid for it unfortunately.

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Private or trade?

Private you dont have a leg to stand on apart from attempt to apply for a new logbook from the DVLA. Who may or may not let you have one.

Trade - contact trading standards, the car has not been sold as advertised.

You really should have collected the car in person and made sure you got everything required when buying a new car.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
How did you pay? Inform him through voicemail and text and any other means that you'll be contacting them if he doesn't respond in a certain time frame (5 days for example) then report it to the police certainly!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cant see what the police would do? Id inform the dvla.

If you have any of the old mots put the test number in the dvla website to see if your car has an mot and when it expires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No v5 = don't purchase for me. Why you only ever do cash on collection. Unless you have a reciept or something you have no proof you paid for it unfortunately.
Plenty of texts/e-mails, bank transfer from me to him. The car was advertised with a V5 but it hasn't been sent. Cash on collection wasn't an option as its hundreds of miles away and I can't drive without already having a car haha.

·
If it don't Scrape
723 Posts
The logbook is you V5 [paperbag] But i would definately not be happy about not receiving the second key and current MOT. You can check your valid MOt on te direct.gov website. You need your registration + logbook referance number. Then you can check all the past MOT's and advisories.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The logbook is you V5
But i would definately not be happy about not receiving the second key and current MOT. You can check your valid MOt on te direct.gov website. You need your registration + logbook referance number. Then you can check all the past MOT's and advisories.
Oh right I've got the black VW handbook then. I assumed this was the log book and the V5 was just one sheet of paper. (First car haha).

I've checked the direct.gov MOT website, and the most recent MOT certificate I have expired on 2/11/11, but then it says "There is a more recent test for this vehicle." It wont give me the details of this test because I don't have the number it requires (Its on the certificate and/or v5.)

Damn and blast!

At least now I know it definitely took an MOT test a few days before I bought it...Whether it was a pass or fail remains to be seen when I finally get in touch with him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the V5 has been sent to DVLA you should receive it within 3 weeks.

If not you should contact DVLA, you will probably have to fill out a V62 form at the post office to obtain a V5 in your name. However it is not a guarenteeyou will get a V5 and can take up to 6 weeks.

If you don't chase it up the car will never get registered in your name!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've found the sellers personal facebook/twitter accounts, as well as his business accounts. I know where he lives and where he works, mobile numbers and house numbers.

Would it be suitable to contact him over facebook? Hes not answering any calls or texts so I'm tempted to just message him over facebook...Don't know if that would be going over the top slightly...I mean two months...I need to do something?

The V5 hasn't been sent anywhere, the seller still has it. On paper the car is still his, the DVLA have no idea it has been sold. The plan is that I inform the DVLA when I receive the docs.

·
King Dogger
13,907 Posts
Why don't you just go to his house and say you would like the V5 and you would then deal with the paperwork yourself.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd phone up the DVLA and ask for their advice.

The DVLA have always been really good whenever i've had to deal with them. Always useful and polite [:)]

You could try consumer direct (trading standards) for advice, but there's little they could do legally against an individual. Again, they are very useful and good to talk to on the phone.

I'd definitely try the DVLA first though. I guess if you have a bank statement showing you sent x amount to the previous owner they would treat that as a receipt of payment...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why don't you just go to his house and say you would like the V5 and you would then deal with the paperwork yourself.
He lives hundreds of miles away and I ride a bicycle. :p

·
Registered
915 Posts
worst case, fill in a v62 then when you have the v5 use the document reference number to get a duplicate mot certificate.... then you can have a tax disk!

Lesson learnt i hope, loads of nobbys out there, you did make it very easy for them.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts