Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going home from work last night took me 45 mins extra, 1hr 35mins to do 23 miles.

The reason was not roadworks, not accident, not even tractors, but one single car two cars in front of me.

This car was travelling at speeds of 20-30mph on national speed limit roads where you can quite safely do 50mph+. It could not keep a straight line and kept swerving over to the hedge, and when they noticed they were nearly into the hedge would swerve the other way and ride and go over the white line into oncoming traffic.

Traffic coming the other way was giving signs and swerving into the hedge etc.

Anyway, it was my turn to be behind the car as the two in front had succesfully, but not very safely passed. I could not get passed as there were no good places left and was rush hour anyway.

Got into town and we had to wait in a queue. The driver then, purely by accidnet I'm sure put it into reverse and off she went, nearly hitting me. She obviously had an auto as every time she put it in drive her reversing lights flashed (making me need a spare pair of frillies knowing what she had done) and I was leaving a good gap after follwing her for 12 miles!

Finally she went the other way.

In the passenger seat was a frail old man, in the driving seat, an older women pearing over the stearing wheel and not really having a clue what she was doing. I kept remembering back to when I did a post on here about the young girl in a BMW overtaking 2 old people and they swerved into her and she got done for it.

So, I got the reg number and make and model of the car (renault megane scenic, she really could have done with something smaller).

I was going to call the police to let them know so they could check her out, either watch her driving or make sure shes fit to drive. But I felt soooo bad! Couldnt bring myself to do it, as they are probably lovely people and if shes gets her licence taken, probably will end up sitting at hom not able to see their family.

So what would you guys do? She really was a danger on the road, from the perspective of making people irate and overtake her when they really shouldnt and swerving into and rising the white line forcing the other drivers over.

Thoughts? Should I ring them and just tell them, so at least they have a record of it if anything happens? Just really don't want to effect their lives, as they are probably real nice, old and probably just coming back from or going to see loved ones, which thanks to me, they might not be able to do!!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sorry mate, but your basically dealing with a life or death situation. You would have a different view if you were a father of young kids and these old people were swerving towards your missus pushing a pram on the pavement.

If your too old to drive, your too old to drive, simple as, your time is up. DO NOT be a danger to other road users and by danger I mean risk of endangering life and limb.

ChrisS3 of audi-sport.net recently had an old guy pull/swerve out into the overtaking lane of a national speed limit dual carriageway doing approx 20mph, he was doing 60 ish, if it wasnt for his quick reactions and big brakes, we WOULD have been talking about the old guy (or Chris) in the past tense instead of him nursing a bumper,wing and bonnet repair bill.

You cannot let sentiments get in the way of this kind of decision, if you're not fit to be on the road, you're not fit. Period.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm with Stewart on this one, so you feel bad about shopping her incase they remove her licence, how bad would you feel reading that next week she swerved infront of someone, swerved into a kid on their bike etc etc.

Bottom line is she is a danger on the road. If it was only driving at 20-30mph, then that's just annoying and maybe wouldn't warrant any action, but the fact she was swerving all over the roads it's just plain dangerous driving.

Deffo ring the cops and see what they say.

·
Registered
249 Posts
tbh i think you have no choice but to call the police, these people simply are not safe on the roads and obviously do not have a clue as to what's going on around them. I'm sure their families would much rather see them less often than them end up dead or killing some innocent member of public because of their incapabilities.

Don't feel bad about it, you would be doing them and all of us a favour!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I would have reported the driver there and then regardless of anything. Whats to say that they were not completely drunk?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If that was a young person driving like that, nearly all of us would be quick to ensure the police knew about it. I don't see why it should be any different for older people. If they're a hazard on the road then they shouldn't be driving full stop. I'm sure they were a lovely couple but thats not going to make a difference when someones been injured or even killed because people like this are on the roads when they shouldn't be. Do the right thing, get the police told and make the roads safer for all of us to drive on!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure do. The reg number is at home on the coffee table. Will give the cop shop a ring tonight and let you all know what they have to say. I do feel bad about it, but it looked like she was a drunk driver (could well have been!) but I think it was more just old age and not realising what was really going on around her, and excessive use of brakes (braking sharply when a lorry comes the other way for instance even though theres loads of room).

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was going to call the police to let them know so they could check her out, either watch her driving or make sure shes fit to drive. But I felt soooo bad! Couldnt bring myself to do it, as they are probably lovely people and if shes gets her licence taken, probably will end up sitting at hom not able to see their family.

Thoughts? Should I ring them and just tell them, so at least they have a record of it if anything happens? Just really don't want to effect their lives, as they are probably real nice, old and probably just coming back from or going to see loved ones, which thanks to me, they might not be able to do!!
what if they caused an fatal accident surely that would be a way of stopping someone from seeing family - there are alwasy other ways and means of visting people - public transport or their family could go and see them or collect them? dob them in! i wouldnt think twice!

i got run off the road once by an old man who didnt check his blind spot - i was just lucky it was a 5ft wide grass verge at the side of the road and not a brick wall - otherwise i doubt i would be here now!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I would have reported the driver there and then regardless of anything. Whats to say that they were not completely drunk?
Yep i would have done it there and then on the hands free.. i would have mentioned they appeared to be intoxicated.. you would have then seen them pulled.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Not sure if there's any point in calling the police now? Unless the police see her driving there's not much they can do (is there??? [^o)])

I'd have done it at the time - I've done it before when 2 cars were behaving in a ridiculously dangerous manner on the motorway. Next time, make the call - it could end up a lot worse than a pensioner losing their licence, especially in a national speed limit zone.....

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
You can call but I doubt they'd do anything.  It's your word against theirs, and I'm bet they're fed up to the back teeth of people phoning them up about bad drivers.  Would have been better to do it at the time.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I would say report them, if they are too old to be on the road and are a menace to themselves as well as other road users then they should have their licence revoked, but is it really worth your time and effort, and hassle?

My grandad, he used to be a traffic cop/driver back in the 50/60s. Yet by 80ish, he was scared of traffic and anywhere busy, only used quiet roads and only travelled if he absolutely had to. Driving was no longer a pleasure or came naturally, infact the pace of modern society and roads damn right frightened him...

Just goes to show...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I phoned them, said theres nothing they can do unless something happens, but thanks for letting them know. Asked if they even wanted the reg number and he said it isnt really needed. Doctor has most probably said they are fit to drive.

So much for trying to save an accident!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I live in Southport where they don't bury the dead they're left to drive round.

As I understand it age alone is not a reason to take someones driving licence off them but having seen the antics out of the old folk who get behind the wheel in this town I wish it was.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I would def phone police or better still the dvla

people who cant drive ,shouldnt drive , most times of the elderly its due to their eye sight

just coz the doc say they are fit to drive doesnt mean their eye sight goes a bit pear shaped within a few weeks of the medical

what ever age they are ......if they cause an accident ......it could be life or death

and whos to say she had a licence she may of borrowed the car with out asking and not even hold a licence

remember the story the other week .....the police pulled someone over as they was swerving all over the road , turns out the driver was blind and the passanger was navigating ......................[:O]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Doctor has most probably said they are fit to drive.
The doctor won't assess their ability to drive unless he has a need to ie. if they have an accident. For all we know the driver might not have been to the doctors for 20 years.

This definitely goes to show that there should be reassessments of driving ability after a certain age.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Doctor has most probably said they are fit to drive.
The doctor won't assess their ability to drive unless he has a need to ie. if they have an accident. For all we know the driver might not have been to the doctors for 20 years.

This definitely goes to show that there should be reassessments of driving ability after a certain age.
Agreed. In future, report the car there and then as she may well have been intoxicated. Old people drink too.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts