Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant decide between the following

a) Keep my mk4 which has a few problems but could be solved relatively cheaply <?1k ( i reckon )

b) Go for the car Ive always wanted....Honda Civic Jordan! Its a bit chavvy but i think it looks nice!

So....A)

Posted Image

or B)

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Those Civics are fast as hell, but would you want to live with it forever? How much are they at the moment/mileage? Can you buy the civic and keep it for a bit of fun and also keep your Golf?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
do some engine mods and get a remap.

that'll breathe life back into the golf and put off any jordan dreams for a while!

jammy

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If I were to have a crash (touch would never) then I would rather be in the Golf mate.
I've test driven the 1.6 VTI and 1.8 VTi (rover shell), the 1.6 is sweeter to drive and the V-Tec is great, but its a little cramped in there. If you really want to go for one then there is the CTR (of that gen) or better still Integra Type R - revs to almost 9K, fantastic recaros, amazing grip, 6 strut braces. But as its based on an old gen Civic not very safe!

Good point mate about the safety! I saw an old top gear about NCAP, thought I'd look up what my MK IV got, to my surprise its got 4 stars. I doubt that civic would have a good score.

I've not got a downer on Jap cars, I prefer German ones. But I would hold out for the just gone CTR, great car and also safer than the mkiv (if slightly one trick pony for my tastes)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do some engine mods and get a remap.

that'll breathe life back into the golf and put off any jordan dreams for a while!

jammy
Yeah thats the thing, ive remapped it already and spent a small fortune on it. Problems are:

Clutch slipping due to remap

Some little git thought santa bought me lots of money this xmas and BOOTED my rear door hence massive dent then scratched along two doors!

Front bumper needs replacing due to stone chips

*** burn on passenger seat (thanks dad)

The civic would definately be fun to drive but as most of you have mentioned it would be a bit dated on the interior and safety would be an issue. I really like my golf interior and its a lovely car for long drives. Theres no way i can keep both cars....insurance would put a stop to that immediately!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would say Golf just spend the money & get it soughted you will get fed up with the Civic very quickly I think.

e.g: Noise, Comfort

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You will end up having to do the bodywork before you sell it, to get a decent price, so you might as well carry on

The civic being NA will cost a lot more if you start tuning it and will not show such huge gains[N]

Decent Honda tuning kit like Spoon cost a fortune

·
Registered
842 Posts
deffo the golf!! everytime!!

got a mate that has a 2002 civic type R nice and quick but not as refined and comfortable as a golf (also it looks like a bread van)... the golf is far better looking and understated!

get the bits done to the golf and the money you have left over, take a holiday.

you will regret it after a month or so.

·
Registered
79 Posts

a) Keep my mk4 which has a few problems but could be solved relatively cheaply <?1k ( i reckon )
I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago my 1.8T wanted about a 1k spending so I traded it for........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Go jap and you wont look back..........

·
Registered
406 Posts
get rid of the golf, jap cars wont give you half as much problems as the golfs seem to....

nice subz by the way, my mate has one similar ,he's done a WR1 conversion to an STI, fast as F*K

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
ur gonna get to know the people at the local petrol station a lot better with a Scoob as you'll be there every week LOL

?300 a month on petrol was 1 reason I just couldn't keep mine any longer.

Damn good fun tho in the time I had it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
yeah theres a big difference between a scooby and a civic jordan, plus you drive a diesel which has been remapped so theres plenty of torque , the civic will feel pathetic as its no low end torque , im not saying itl be slower but youl certainly miss the pull of the oil burner , my mate has the same shape civic and the interior is very poor compared to the mk iv , just my 2p worth

·
Registered
32 Posts

b) Go for the car Ive always wanted....Honda Civic Jordan! Its a bit chavvy but i think it looks nice!

So....A)

Posted Image

or B)

Posted Image
Just look at the pictures. Keep looking.

I think that answers your question!

I've got a friend who has a very similar looking Honda - and it is a company car with the NHS. Ok, it costs him a fortune in monthly payments and tax implications, but some fat old matron may burn you off the road in one.

Worth thinking about for sure!

·
Registered
32 Posts

So....A)

Posted Image

or B)

Posted Image

I've got a friend who has a very similar looking Honda - and it is a company car with the NHS. Ok, it costs him a fortune in monthly payments and tax implications, but some fat old matron may burn you off the road in one.

·
Registered
32 Posts

So....A)

Posted Image

or B)

Posted Image

·
Registered
32 Posts

So....A)

Posted Image

or B)

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 46 Posts