Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Should I get a Superbike?

5K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  mmuuzzyy 
#1 ·
Basically I'm toying with the idea of getting a Kawasaki ZX6R 2005 instead of getting the turbo kit for my 1.8T.

I have never ridden a road bike before, but I have done motocross since I was 10, so I'm confident I'll be able to ride it safely. The only thing I'm worried about is some mug pulling out in front of me!

Are there any other forum members (Poss bikers?) that could steer me in the right direction about how safe bikes are? Close calls? Idiot drivers? Fun factor? etc.

Thanks guys

#6 ·
I have never ridden a road bike before, but I have done motocross since I was 10
That's a relatively controlled environment though, and everyone is going the same direction as well?
Yeah, and no. Everyone is going in the same direction, but you will have bikes going in the opposite direction running along side you. (A bit like a motorway) but instead of a central reservation to stop you going through there is tape/rope which does sweet F A, so its still common to go through and hit a bike. Also you can get landed on very easily, it's a whole different ball park and anything can happen! I have been landed on, landed on people, run over, run people over, knocked off even punched off my bike (Ok, was my fault I knocked him off first!), the lot!! Lol

But the point I was trying to get across is I am familiar with bikes and their controls, sense of balance etc. Obviously Moto-x is very different from Superbike ridding but I'm sure my MX background will help. Also I had a scooter for a year so I'm used to riding on the road as well, and believe I picked up a bit of that bikers instinct

To who asked the question about license.... I don't have it yet, but once I turn 21 I can do an intensive course and if I pass that I can then go on to ride any bike. Please shed some light if that is not true though!

#7 ·
Having recently found myself wedged under the back end of a honda civic along my bike from pulling the front brake on wet tarmac, i'd say........................ get the bike!!! Just save it for summer [:D]
Hahaaa! What bike do you ride mate?

I'd never ride in the wet, but I'm keen on the idea of those cold Sunday morning blasts! As long as there is no ice that is!

#8 ·
I cant make a decision on any of those options. I drove a bike once, and the rush was immense! But i love the golf and a big turbo would put a smile on your face. Its an even trade of for me I'm afraid.

I spose i could slide slightly towards the golf as it is in my opinion a safer option.
Yeah I know what you mean, I can't imagine the rush of being launced from 0-60 in just over 3seconds! Must be amazing!

But then when I first got Revo I was amazed, and that could happen all over if I got that shinny new turbo!

Flip a coin? lol

#9 ·
It was only a speedfight 100. Bought it just to get to work and back in the summer as a bit of a laugh. Coming home from work and the rain was hammering it down, the rest is history! slid a good few yards before my helmet got wedged between the exhaust of the blokes car and tarmac, then the bike joined me! [:S]

#10 ·
It was only a speedfight 100. Bought it just to get to work and back in the summer as a bit of a laugh. Coming home from work and the rain was hammering it down, the rest is history! slid a good few yards before my helmet got wedged between the exhaust of the blokes car and tarmac, then the bike joined me! [:S]
Sorry to hear that man? Was that much damage? I had a speedfight 50 haha and I even got knocked of that. Some prat pulled out in front of me, he had no insurance and was so convinced it was my fault!

#11 ·
Sorry to hear that man? Was that much damage? I had a speedfight 50 haha and I even got knocked of that. Some prat pulled out in front of me, he had no insurance and was so convinced it was my fault!

#12 ·
I'm leaving the biking world after 10 years or so of accident-free mayhem [:D]

I've had some near misses but no accidents, but a close friend of mine recently hit a telegraph pole at 140mph and despite surviving, his life has turned upside down [:(]

My beloved Speed Triple is up for sale (will probably go next spring) and I've bought my S60R which with a few mods will provide enough of a thrill for me hopefully.

#13 ·
Should you get a bike???

my answer would be, Do want to be a Donor or in a Wheel Chair?

Seriously nothing against bikes, but I have seen many many people |I know severly affected by bike accidents, not because of bikes per se because of there vulnerability and idiotic car drivers.

#14 ·
Should you get a bike???

my answer would be, Do want to be a Donor or in a Wheel Chair?

Seriously nothing against bikes, but I have seen many many people |I know severly affected by bike accidents, not because of bikes per se because of there vulnerability and idiotic car drivers.
This is the only thing put me off! My life is at risk becuase of some idiot not checking their mirror. From what would be a minor 'Fender Bender' in a car could end up my life on my bike.

I'm just trying to find some hands on expirence of bikers and their own close calls I guess!

In my bright green leathers, lights blaring and superloud exhaust that's hope everyone sees me coming! Hehe

#15 ·
To who asked the question about license.... I don't have it yet, but once I turn 21 I can do an intensive course and if I pass that I can then go on to ride any bike. Please shed some light if that is not true though!
It true at the mo, but the government are thinking of upping it, so hurry up!

An MXer is quite different to the kwacka, especially if yours was a two-stroke, but the balance and handling skills you have learned will be of great benefit.

I say go for the bike, don't worry about the rain if you're used to riding on loose surfaces and mud, watch out for patches of diesel and always assume other drivers haven't seen you. You'll be fine!

Off topic a bit; 350bhp Golf or Superbike and not yet 21 - who does your insurance????!!??

#16 ·
It true at the mo, but the government are thinking of upping it, so hurry up!

An MXer is quite different to the kwacka, especially if yours was a two-stroke, but the balance and handling skills you have learned will be of great benefit.

I say go for the bike, don't worry about the rain if you're used to riding on loose surfaces and mud, watch out for patches of diesel and always assume other drivers haven't seen you. You'll be fine!

Off topic a bit; 350bhp Golf or Superbike and not yet 21 - who does your insurance????!!??
Currenltly riding a KX250F which is a four stroke. Only have a couple years expirence on them! Damn I miss the 2stroke though!

No way?! When are they thinking of changing this mate?

Lol, the isurance. Well I'm paying £1,800 fully comp at the mo, with Elephant. That's no points and two years no claims, and some silly amount of excess. Wheels, induction kit and chip are listed also, havn't told them about the exhaut, will do when it runs out later this year!

I have run a few quotes against a bike for a new bike lisence holder with no claims and my ages for a Zx6R and H&R insurance quoted me just over £1,000. Not bad eh?!

#17 ·

I've had some near misses but no accidents, but a close friend of mine recently hit a telegraph pole at 140mph and despite surviving, his life has turned upside down [:(]

My beloved Speed Triple is up for sale (will probably go next spring) and I've bought my S60R which with a few mods will provide enough of a thrill for me hopefully.
Glad to hear you stayed sfae! Sorry to hear about your friend though! Very nice choice in car too! How come you decided to leave the bike scene?

Just to clarify this I would only be using the bike at weekends, and not on the morning commute! So hopefully contact with idiot drivers will be at a low.

#18 ·
Dont know, You dice with your own life if you push the limits.

A friend recently had his arm severed in a crash after being hit head-on by another (Uninsured, Unlisenced) biker on the wrong side of the road going at a ridiculous speed, I have no doubts my friend was probably speeding just as much as the guy that hit him.

I personally wont ever ride my bike again, Thats not to say cars aren't just as dangerous though.

#19 ·
#20 ·

Glad to hear you stayed sfae! Sorry to hear about your friend though! Very nice choice in car too! How come you decided to leave the bike scene?
I've had 10 years and survived without a scratch - I've had a good run and got it out of my system, and don't really fancy losing a limb etc [N]

#21 ·
My opinion is don't get the bike. Why?

Well, you put yourself at the mercy of other road users. We all know the amount of appauling driving on the roads, coupled with people who don't use their mirrors, cannot judge speeds and distances etc. One lapse of concentration from one person and bang, you could be dead or injured.

At least in a car, you stand a chance for someone elses mistake, or your own. Plus you can use a car safely in the wet, without fear of diesel spills, manhole covers, potholes and loss of visability.

Just my 2p. I have seen bikers come off, one seriously, and seen the injuries, especially those who wear tracksuit bottoms instead of leathers...

My old man also has false teeth, a 12" scar on his abdomen and an iffy knee through motorbike accidents...

#22 ·
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.articles.articleCategory.article&resourceId=1668536&articleCategory=NEWS_OTHER-NEWS

EU raising it to 24, but I dont know if they've continued with this. Knowing them it's probably years away so you should be fine.

Top work on the insurance fella - I take it you don't live in an area like mine!!

Try getting a quote with the turbo conversion - it might help you make up your mind overall.
24?! Damn! Yeah, if I decied to go for the bike, hopefully I will be covered!

Yeah, I had to search quite a while to find a quote mate lol! I'm hopeing once I'm 21 with 3 years NCB under my belt insurance shouldn't be over £2,500 for a 300-380bhp golf... fingers crossed! Where abouts do you live mate?

At the end of the day I think it boils down to luck... if you're unlucky you can be killed simply by crossing the road.

#23 ·
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.articles.articleCategory.article&resourceId=1668536&articleCategory=NEWS_OTHER-NEWS

EU raising it to 24, but I dont know if they've continued with this. Knowing them it's probably years away so you should be fine.

Top work on the insurance fella - I take it you don't live in an area like mine!!

Try getting a quote with the turbo conversion - it might help you make up your mind overall.

Yeah, I had to search quite a while to find a quote mate lol! I'm hopeing once I'm 21 with 3 years NCB under my belt insurance shouldn't be over £2,500 for a 300-380bhp golf... fingers crossed! Where abouts do you live mate?

At the end of the day I think it boils down to luck... if you're unlucky you can be killed simply by crossing the road.

#24 ·

#25 ·
My opinion is don't get the bike. Why?

Well, you put yourself at the mercy of other road users. We all know the amount of appauling driving on the roads, coupled with people who don't use their mirrors, cannot judge speeds and distances etc. One lapse of concentration from one person and bang, you could be dead or injured.

At least in a car, you stand a chance for someone elses mistake, or your own. Plus you can use a car safely in the wet, without fear of diesel spills, manhole covers, potholes and loss of visability.

Just my 2p. I have seen bikers come off, one seriously, and seen the injuries, especially those who wear tracksuit bottoms instead of leathers...

My old man also has false teeth, a 12" scar on his abdomen and an iffy knee through motorbike accidents...
I fully understand where you're coming from. As I have said before, this is the only reason I have doubts about having a bike. I don't question my compitence ridding a bike at all, it's other drivers. I got knocked off my moped by a van when coming back from college once.

I wouldn't use the bike in the wet, or even on the way to work. Purely just a Sunday toy, so minimal contact with other road users. I would NEVER use the bike without leathers etc.

But it all boils down to luck does life. Look at Steve Irwin, years of Croc hunting and then killed by a Stingray!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.