Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the nth tail light failure last night I looked on my spreadsheet to see how long the previous set lasted (I replaced both even though only one was blown, the remaining working bulb looked knackered as well anyway).

7-Aug-2005 31741 Nearside tail lamp
10-Aug-2005 31831 Offside tail lamp

18-Jan-2006 35426 Offside tail lamp - replaced both
Mileage in bold. Four months! This is crazy, I'm sick of it. I use Bosch 245S. Halfords' bulbs failed even quicker (only tried them once, that was enough). The factory Osrams lasted three years but can't find anywhere that sells Osram - dealers just sell generic stuff and say they're all the same. These lights are on no more than 10 minutes a day, as I work not far away and only use them on the way home, maybe in the morning if visibility is poor.

[:(]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I also have a similar problem with my V5's rear bulbs, where the one of the brake bulbs will blow or the side light will become dimmer than the other side.

It's got to the stage, where I started buying the bulbs in bulk from the motor factors, ie a box of 10 bulbs, 5 brake 5 side light.

Admittitly I would only change the side effected, though I have started to replace them in pairs.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do replace them in pairs, as I hate that lop-sided bright/dim look [:|]

The tail bulbs were both black/silver after just 4 months, similar to what happens when you get grease on a halogen bulb. Dealers and some Halfords sales people swear blind that it doesn't matter and that you can touch the glass on these bulbs with bare hands (Halfords' own brand doesn't say you can or can't), but the Bosch packaging explicitly says not to touch the bulb glass. So I fit them using a brand new polythene bag as a "glove" to keep the glass clean.

One of my mates reckons it's because my suspension is so stiff that is causing it due to more vibration.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you have a sub kicking in the back this causes bulbs to fail as ive noticed, not just in golf but in a few cars.. due to the vibration might be same effect with suspension but i cant imagine your suspension being that hard...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I looked on my spreadsheet to..
Oh my god you have a spreasheet for when you've changed your tail lights!! That is very....erm....dedicated [:$] Only joking [:p]

However i know what you mean, i swear i change my rear side lights once a month! Group buy anyone?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Few weeks ago my one break light went, so i replaced it.
Then few days later the other break went and so did one of the other tail lights.
Went in the house turned the toilet light on and then that went!

Very strange day.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shiuming, do u ever have ur headlights (or sidelights/parking lights) switched on whilst starting the engine? starting the engine causes a power surge which can blow bulbs much quicker or atleast shorten the life of the bulb!
just a thought
Never - I always start engine before turning on any other functions, and it's only the tail lights that fail so soon. I'll try to rig up a multimeter to measure the voltage. Gonna get some isopropyl alcohol soon and really clean up the next set I install and then see how long they last.

I don't got no sub in the boot either so it can't be that. To be honest I'm perfectly happy to replace them, it's just that the rear clusters were designed by some numpty and the bulb holder on the driver side is a total pain to remove. I can do it with all the bulbs in place, just, but then I can't remember how I did it and spend another 30 minutes trying to put it back in!

·
Registered
200 Posts
So this is a reasonably common problem then... interesting.

I've faffed around in the boot of my car changing the rear bulbs about 3 times since i've had the car now.. most recent time I just bought brand new pairs of brake and tail lights from the stealer hoping that a completely new set would do the job. So far so good but I guess its only a matter of time before one pops.

Wonder what causes it...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Shiuming, do u ever have ur headlights (or sidelights/parking lights) switched on whilst starting the engine? starting the engine causes a power surge which can blow bulbs much quicker or atleast shorten the life of the bulb!
just a thought
Never - I always start engine before turning on any other functions, and it's only the tail lights that fail so soon. I'll try to rig up a multimeter to measure the voltage. Gonna get some isopropyl alcohol soon and really clean up the next set I install and then see how long they last.

I don't got no sub in the boot either so it can't be that. To be honest I'm perfectly happy to replace them, it's just that the rear clusters were designed by some numpty and the bulb holder on the driver side is a total pain to remove. I can do it with all the bulbs in place, just, but then I can't remember how I did it and spend another 30 minutes trying to put it back in!
Right ive just had to replace ANOTHER REAR SIDE LIGHT!!! This is sooo annoying...its the 3rd one ive put in, in just over a month!!! And guess what, just like Shuiming said, the driver side it a bitch to get out and get back in, so when i replaced the bulb and was putting it back in...i broke the reverse light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So i fixed one, then broke another!! This is sooo annoying!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just come inside (from a freezing Arctic gale) having just replaced the offside tail lamp. I was going to open a thread but am pleased to say I've been beaten to it.

I buy stop lamps and brake lamps in bulk (Lucas 10-packs) from my local auto factor. No problem for the first two years of the car's life; now I seem to be changing bulbs more times than you can poke a stick - so to speak. Glad it's not just me (selfish but true).

·
Registered
64 Posts
have any of you's tried replacing the bulb holders for the rear lights? i had the same problem but it was sorted by changing the holders, they tend to corrode easily. they arent that dear from a dealer, i think around ?7 each. possible group buy for you's if they are needed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd be down for that! Tired of changing those bulbs. Had mine about 7 months and I've changed both brake lights a couple of times now an tails at least once.

Does anyone have the Phillips vision plus? http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=658 and are they any good?

Don't wanna pay ?11 a pair unless they're gonna last.

I can't seem to find a decent tail light bulb anywhere. I'm all ears if anyone else does!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've just had to replace all rear brake and side light bulbs due to them being very dim;

Posted Image
Posted Image

When replacing with new bulbs, some would cloud up straight away, without any current running though them.

As you can see the filiment is fine in each bulb, it's just the fact that they cloud that causes them to become dim.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd be down for that! Tired of changing those bulbs. Had mine about 7 months and I've changed both brake lights a couple of times now an tails at least once.

Does anyone have the Phillips vision plus? http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=658 and are they any good?

Don't wanna pay ?11 a pair unless they're gonna last.
I've got those, they are quality bulbs, very bright and light up quickly. Fitted them for my brake, turn and reverse.

The issue with lasting seems to be more of a problem with the 245S tail lamps though.

I always feel that maintaining your light bulbs really helps keep the car looking fresh and new as possible.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I've been using the Bosch bulbs and though the life seems to be short, they have been going dim really quickly. Beddie noticed mine were dim, and upon checking he glass was "smoked"; and when I took then out to replace then the glass had gone silver, as if the bulb was a silver indicator type. Whats caused them to look silver?

These ones have been in for about three weeks and the nearside is going dim again! boo!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts