Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody notice any differences when using it as its 99 ron and also will it do damage to the engine

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
just today i used it for the first time and i dont know if its my imagination but it definatly felt more responsive afterwards , little bit more eager too

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
When i lived in germany 2 years ago bob they had it there and i thought it was pants to be honest but i was runing it in the 1.6 at the time and over there it was 100 OCTANE

I am off back down to france tomorrow so i will stick a tank in and see what happens.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I use V-Power as my local shell garage doesn't do optimax anymore, i've noticed a difference as V-Power is 99 Ron and it definatly seems to be a bit more responsive

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I saw this at the shell petrol place the other day, whats the difference with optimax and v power?

I stick bp ultimate in mine as its closer but the first time I tried shell optimax I did notice some difference (or maybe my imagination) it pulled much better.

·
Registered
324 Posts
OK guys from the horses mouth, (used to run a garage, V-Power is 99 Ron, so makes the car more responsive and slightly more economical, Unleaded is harsh on the engine due to it having no lead, V - Power has a small amount of lead in it to run more smoothly. So unleaded does more damage to the engine..... but don't all start panicking it's only really wear and tear...

Steve

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
They've added lead? Don't think so! That'd be bye bye cat, just for starters.

They increase the octane rating by using chemicals that are a tad friendlier that lead.

Tony

No horse, small mouth!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Trl, It's true, they add a very small amount, admittedly there are other additives, but lead is definitely added, taking the harshness off the engine.

Steve

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
How much is V-Power? i know my local tesco does superunleaded which is 99RON octane, stuck 45quids of the stuff in last night, its 87.9p/L

BTW, is it the same TRL thats into trials?

joN

·
Registered
614 Posts
Had V power in mine and when it ran out i put standard unleaded in.Car feels much slower now [:(]
I have not had a petrol car for a bout 4 years now but my mate had a 16v kjetronic in his jetea and it only run on leaded or 98 ron plus so he got one of these http://www.broquet.co.uk/orderuk.htm and i put one in my colour concept 2.0 8v and you can tell the diffrence but not tride v max of yet

·
Registered
696 Posts
I tend to swap and change when it comes to either Unleaded and Optimax, but i had my revo trial with V power and the car was flying...i then had the full revo install and due to lack petrol pumps in berkshire i used unleaded and dame that was a mistake. I spoke to the guys from BBT and it turns out that ECU gets used to whatever petrol is in the tank and if you confuse it like i have then it makes it very jerky and unpleasant drive. so iv been told to use up all the unleaded in the tank and stick some 99 RON petrol (probably best to use tescos as theres load about), then i have to go back to adjust the remap again to accept high octane again.. im not sure if it effects revo upgrades only in this way but i can imagine there is stil a noticable difference on standards.

veesh

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Had V power in mine and when it ran out i put standard unleaded in.Car feels much slower now [:(]
I have not had a petrol car for a bout 4 years now but my mate had a 16v kjetronic in his jetea and it only run on leaded or 98 ron plus so he got one of these http://www.broquet.co.uk/orderuk.htm and i put one in my colour concept 2.0 8v and you can tell the diffrence but not tride v max of yet
LMFAO, is that crap still around? Jesus they were trying to flog that to the Aircooled scene when I was in it. I haven't heard the name for years.

For your information that is a classic example of how to sell snake oil. Tell people it increases power and increases economy and they snap it up. All for putting a pack of lead shot in your fuel line.

You'd think people would have more sense. If it was so great why don't the car manufacturers use it?

V-power on the other hand is great stuff. I use it continously. Do a search, there are proven results on this forum.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
hey!

i started off with just your regular unleaded, cheaper and my mum likes the clubcard points.

then i put BP Ultimate in it, seemed a bit better, not that much impressed.

did 2 tanks of that, the guy at the BP counter said i should use V Power.

next tank was tesco's super, not that much impressed. figured whats the point, may as well save money and get my mum some clubcard points.

then i put in V power, after hear lots of recommendation about it. seemed a little better.

now after only 2 tanks of the stuff, its like a reawaking of the car.

it flies now!

so basically, i'm stickin with V Power for good! my AUM 1.8T LOVES IT! therefore I LOVE IT!

V POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehe,

jammy

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
hey!

i started off with just your regular unleaded, cheaper and my mum likes the clubcard points.

then i put BP Ultimate in it, seemed a bit better, not that much impressed.

did 2 tanks of that, the guy at the BP counter said i should use V Power.

next tank was tesco's super, not that much impressed. figured whats the point, may as well save money and get my mum some clubcard points.

then i put in V power, after hear lots of recommendation about it. seemed a little better.

now after only 2 tanks of the stuff, its like a reawaking of the car.

it flies now!

so basically, i'm stickin with V Power for good! my AUM 1.8T LOVES IT! therefore I LOVE IT!

V POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehe,

jammy
Tesco's super is 99RON also! been tested over on Pistonheads.com and they all really rated it....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts