Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Recently, I've tried using Shell Optimax instead of bog standard fuel. Just wanted to gather a few thoughts on what you all think of it and if it's made any difference. On my first full fill up, it cost me about ?5 more than normal fuel, but it returned 365miles (I have a non-modified 2.0 GTi) averaging 32.7mpg (I was doing quite a bit of motorways miles). The most I've had was 325miles doing about the same kinda mpg, so that's already 40miles up [:)]

On my 2nd fill up, I got 315miles but that was mostly city driving with the air con on all the time and averaging 28mpg. I would've normally got about 285 miles from that. I'm now on my 3rd fill up, so will see how that gets on.

I've not really seen much improvement in performance though. If anything, there might seem to be a slight flatter spot than before between 2-3k rpm. Not sure though.

Has anyone else had good/bad/no results from using Optimax?

Franky...

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Funnily enough just put some in for the first time tonight,first time I've ever paid over ?1/litre as well.
If it does make any difference to the performance,it's marginal to say the least at the moment,I was averaging about 33MPG before (and very oddly about 38MPG with air con on all the time on a 300 mile journey),I'll let you know ahow I get on.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Tesco Super has a higher RON rating again, so releasing more power / better mpg apparently.

OPTIMAX can quickly go 'off' I've read, okay though if you get through a TANK in a week.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used it in my scoob a few times and found no real differance, I also had it rolling roaded with Optimax and went another time with Sainsburys SUL and there was no change in power output.

I also used to find that it had the efffect of " I,ve got more power so I,ll use the power" , which meant the fuel consumption was rarely any better

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funnily enough just put some in for the first time tonight,first time I've ever paid over ?1/litre as well.
If it does make any difference to the performance,it's marginal to say the least at the moment,I was averaging about 33MPG before (and very oddly about 38MPG with air con on all the time on a 300 mile journey),I'll let you know ahow I get on.
Must be because you were taking it easier and not getting so hot under the collar.

I used optimax on my last fill up and mpg seems to be pretty good on this tank. I normally fill up with Tesco's 99RON but thats almost the same price as Optimax round near me now. 101.9 for Tescos, 102.9 for Optimax

·
Registered
102 Posts
Auto Express Magazine did a product group test a week or two ago.

They tested:-

• Optimax
  • Tesco Super Unleaded
  • BP Ultimate
  • Standard Unleaded Petrol

They came out with some interesting results. It explained which cars would benefit, and which wouldn't (depends on if ECU will adjust to increase power due to higher RON or not).

Results came out with Optimax 1st, followed by Tesco's Super-Un.

The BP Ultimate was claimed to be a bad batch, which returned the same figures as the standard unleaded petrol.

A mate of mine works for BP in Birmingham. He told me, that all the BP petrol is ALL the same, and the differences between grades just depends on how much of a special additive they add in or not.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've always run optimax in the Golf from new so can't compare. However when I had a Merc E280 about 4 years ago I did a long term (6 month/20000 mile) test and found that I averaged about 5-6% more MPG on optimax and the car felt more responsive.

Please bear in mind that the ECU often needs to cover a few miles before it adapts the the higher RON fuels....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a tuned 1.8 n/a gti and have done 'tests' usnig optimax against regular unleaded, and I definitly noticed a difference in the responsiveness and a very slight increase in MPG

·
Registered
548 Posts
i have been using optimax for a good 1/2 year now, and car runs better, as sometimes when skint i go back to normal unleaded and when i put the foot down it doesn't feel as quick on the response, but recently i have moved to tesco super as optimax is 100.07p where as tesco is 96.9p, used the tesco higher ron on 1/4 mile track day but didn't notice a difference, but think i will have to use it more to tell.  

·
Registered
341 Posts
i have a 1.8 T which i swapped over to optimax about 18 months ago. it took about 2 tanks before i noticed any difference but it had a small effect on mpg and felt more responsive.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I originally asked the same question here 3 years ago and was told to try Optimax over 2 - 3 tankfulls. It's around 5p per litre more expensive here so around 98ppl.

In the 51 plate 4mo, it took a couple of tankfulls, but with the later 53 plate filling it from near empty to full, the difference was electric. Yes you do get more mpg in certain cars, also more power in certain cars. My attutude is that i'm willing to shell ([;)]) out an extra ?2.50 per tankfull to get my car behaving like it was designed to.

Same comment for BP Ultimate Diesel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
since revo map only used optimax or tesco 99 ron

more perky with these fuels and mpg better i have found,

however esso super unleaded makes it all sluggish and poo

stick to optimax me thinks

·
Registered
187 Posts
i tried it a few times when i first bought the 1.8t

but i have heard that you are ment to reset the ecu if you are changing from 95 - 98+ ron otherwise it will not make much difference

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Possibly the same effect as running it for two tankfulls but more instant? You are talking about disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it aren't you?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi again.

Well, I've just filled up again after my 3rd tankful of Optimax now. I got 385 miles from a full tank!! Mpg has improved by about 2-3mpg and range has increased by about 60miles!!

That's about 20% increase in range for 10% increase in what I pay for a full tank (about ?5 more).

I think I might run Optimax for a bit longer now as it's actually proving to be cheaper than standard fuel [Y]

Franky...

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Hi there

ive always used optimax as my car does not like anything else did once put that 95 ron in and it didnt like it one bit

so its optimax everytime for me

Good .....Mpg ................[:D]

Good .....Performance ....[:D]

Only bad thing is the price ..........102.9 .....[:(]

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I guess I should have given the Optimax a bit longer,but I wanted to try Tescos 99RON as soon as possible,so I put some in Saturday,and now my fuel consumption has dropped to about 25MPG,with no noticeable gain in performance.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Is this the latest trend in one-upmanship between the big oil companies?Seeing who can sell the highest octane rating petrol,Avgas from Esso next anyone?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Auto Express Magazine did a product group test a week or two ago.

They tested:-

• Optimax
  • Tesco Super Unleaded
  • BP Ultimate
  • Standard Unleaded Petrol

They came out with some interesting results. It explained which cars would benefit, and which wouldn't (depends on if ECU will adjust to increase power due to higher RON or not).

Results came out with Optimax 1st, followed by Tesco's Super-Un.
I've been using a mix of Sainsburys SUL and Tesco 99 RON and both are returning 4-6mpg more on a normal drive, and they give a bit more responsiveness, more so when engine is warm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts