Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you find your car runs better on? Taking into consideration things like smooth running of engine, engine performance, engine noise, sharpness of throttle etc.....

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've not voted as I cant tell a diference, maybe 'Cant tell a difference' should be in the poll?

VW as a company always use Shell 98RON (dont know what its called in Germany) as a minimum spec fuel in all engines they bench test, so its good enough for me, and its usualy a bit cheaper than BP aswell.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've tried using both for several months to compare. As I have to fill up once a week (except this week which has been 4 times[B)]) I think I'm allowed to comment.

I noticed no difference whatsoever with Ultimate. When I switched to Optimax I didn't really notice any great performance increase but do seem to be getting a slightly better mpg.

Optimax is also kinder on the wallet[:)]

·
Registered
685 Posts
Optimax has a cool handle at the pumps! And you know that whoever sees you filling up with it is like...... woah that guys serious! [;)]

·
Banned
774 Posts
When I had my Impreza it was fitted with a knocklink. Run on Optimax it did nothing, a tankfull of BP Ultimate though had it lighting up like Blackpool Illuminations.

On that basis I'd go for Shell just to avoid det on a tuned car.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 30/03/2005 07:31:14

When I had my Impreza it was fitted with a knocklink. Run on Optimax it did nothing, a tankfull of BP Ultimate though had it lighting up like Blackpool Illuminations.

On that basis I'd go for Shell just to avoid det on a tuned car.

I ran my Scoob on Optimax too for similar reasons. However on "normal" cars, I have never been able to see or feel the difference either make except for the fact it costs more at the pump.

These days, I go where I can pay using the automated machine to save me going in to the shop and being tempted by all kinds of sweet/sugary stuff [:D]. Usually Asda or Tesco.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, cheers for the replies. The reason I asked on this poll is that I have been running my car on optimax for a while now and there is a kind of pinking noise that has developed and it always seemed a little too sharp on the throttle - VW found a problem but could not identify it and asked me to try a different fuel for a couple of weeks and if no different, bring it back. Also has not been running very smooth.

I have put in a couple of tanks of Ultimate since and noticed the noise has faded slightly and it feels as sweet as a nut!

Only thing is price!

Any ideas on what this kind of pinking sound is? It happens normally when the engine is upon load accellerating.

Cheers....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've been told that Optimax isn't that good for Turbo cars and the best use is the old fashioned Super Unleaded (If you can find it) I know a few people that have been advised when they've had their car havily modded.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
After reading both leaflets i found that Optimax runs at 98 ron, whereas Ultimate can only say the fuel is usually somewhere over 97 ron.

Which means the Optimax is the better performance petrol for my Revo [;)]

·
Registered
548 Posts
star performance reckon super unleaded,

i am going to give it a try a fookin jet petrol is affecting my performance...the car!

he says mix with octane plus 2* to add a few ponies ??

will give it a go keep you updated

·
Registered
685 Posts
Quote: posted by Wayne on 31/03/2005 15:35:22

Cheers peeps - oh and YOGi - you have a very good point there! lol

Yeah man, you can never be too cool!

On a less serious note certain cars react differently to optimax. For instance some of the guys here running REVO & high boost tend to feel optimax is better for their car, ive got a standard GTI 1.8T (900 bhp [:p]) and i feel since ive been running optimax it has become very smooth. However my brother in law recently expereinced some serious issues when using optimax in his new M3 (04) he also noticed a bad pinking noise which later contributed to the failure of some knock sensors. BMW advised that due to the fact the new standard M3 has been tuned to the max that it could effect it when using higher levels of fuel - e.g. optimax! Dont take this post as concrete becuase the M3 could just be a one off case but what i would say is just keep an eye on how the car is running and adjust the factors (fuel) accordingly. If bp is better then use that, mabey 95 ron would cure it altogether.

Anyway good luck.

YOGi

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just got some more info on the Super unleaded for Turbos topic. There had been a while ago a whole range of problems with Renault 5 Turbos blowing the head gasket while using optimax. There were loads of forums and found out it happened twice to one of my friends before they found out the problem. Think you are right Yogi about the differnt cars it affects.

Just common sense really on this one, try a little in the tank first and gradually build it up until you are comfortable the car can take it. I think a lot of tuning caters for this these days.

Actually saw a petrol station yesterday still selling 4 star at 1.45 per litre!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
For pure poke and a RON of 98.3, Optimax every time- and with a ?3.50 bottle of Millers octane plus does the trick even better - those of you with Revo on a 1.8 20VT can then wack up the timing to suite with an SPS. All good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts