Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I still can't make my mind up about Optimax / Ultimate. Check out the official link ... the 'Experts Opinion' is Schumacher - what does he know about chemical engineering? There are no raw facts or figures, just liberal use of the term Shell's unique Friction Modification Technology (FMT). But I can invent my own accronyms too - Biomechanical Advanced Light Lubrication System (BALLS)...why is there never any data anywhere to demonstrate the benefits? If you dig, the site does talk about pinking and increasing octane to overcome it...but no examples of its affect on a range of common cars? I suppose they sell more if they keep it mysterious, but I would like to see some data.

I'll certainly give it a shot, but what is interesting is how people in 1.4s and 1.6s on one forum proclaim huge improvements, but on another many M3 an 911 drivers don't bother...

Hrmph.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I know for sure it's helped my 1.6 16V run smoother than ever before - when I first bought her I knew naff all about cars and ran on 95 RON stuff, now I'm very familiar with my car's behaviour to notice lots of small details, even the change in behaviour with different spark plugs.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Right, just been out. All my local Shell stations have magically covered their Optimax signs with V-Power stickers. The one I usually go to was mid-conversion, some dude on the forecourt putting up the stickers, had a chat with him, he said the price would be 101.9p (Optimax price was still showing, 100.9p). The guy on the counter had V-Power flyers and posters out - and still wearing an Optimax T-shirt, ribbed him about that [;)]

Decided to go on a joyride, met up with rfsteel for some extra weight then did some very uneconomical driving - more so than usual, to burn some of my half tank of Optimax (mixed with STP multi-valve cleaner). I remember doing similar when Optimax was launched and I read about it on the web, I had a full tank of Esso 97 RON, so went on a rag to burn it off, by the time I got rid of a tank all my local Shell stations had closed for the night, d'oh!

Managed to burn 7 litres tonight, as time was limited. Filled the rest with V-Power [:)]

Give it a few more tankfuls to flush out the old stuff...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i have noticed this too! no pick up on mpg but certainly she runs smoother! just seem to pull nicer especially when u change at 2.5k revs

·
Registered
627 Posts
Find mine runs best on Sainsbury's Super unleaded at a mere 97RON :) This is handy as it's cheaper and I get Nectar points!

It seems to like the 98 Optimax, but doesn't run as smoothly as it does on the supermarket muck.. but then again the engine's Brazilian, so it's allowed to be different! It gets one tank of Optimax forced down it's neck in every 4, just to make sure it stays clean.

Will have to try the new stuff though, maybe it'll love it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was out of petrol anyway and normally use optimax so i popped down to my local shell to find the optimax stickers magically covered over like shiuming said [:D] It was 100.99p so same price as optimax. Car seems to be a bit quicker and pulls better further up the rev guage. Then again i think it is, not sure if it's just me imagining it or not.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've been using BP Ultimate since all of the Shell garages within a 20 mile radius of my home shut down[:mad:]. My car runs like a bag of poo now[:(]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
My car pinks under loads when I don't use optimax, when I do, there is no pinking at all and it pulls smoother with less fuss.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I filled the tank with some V-Power last night, I did notice that the fuel vapors smelt sweeter than optimax.

One question I do have is, do you reckon Shell has sent two tankers to each station, one to flush the current tanks out with Optimax and another to refill with V-Power? or have then just stuck an additive in the tank to increase the RON, or a mentioned above is this all just marketing hype ?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
filled up wifey's Beemer yesterday with Optimax - 102.9 [:O] - ouch - went down the road to Tesco and their 99RON Superunleaded was 96.9 - I know where I'll be going next time ( and its not Shell ).

The car doesn't perform any differently on Optimax or Tesco 99RON.

Shell round here are about 4p/litre more expensive than anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Few weeks ago, I paid 105.9 p/litre! [:O] Shocking!

But i'll vouch for optimax, always run it, smoother, more responsive, quicker. Bit like the difference you feel when its 10 degC and 25 degC. Your car is noticably more responsive when it's cold.

Only not put it in once, I was really low so I put £10 of your standard 95 Ron from esso or summit and the car ran like sh|t!! (Theres a chance it could be a figment of my imagination - but I'm 85% sure it helps)

I'll defo be trying this new 99 stuff.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Find mine runs best on Sainsbury's Super unleaded at a mere 97RON :) This is handy as it's cheaper and I get Nectar points!

It seems to like the 98 Optimax, but doesn't run as smoothly as it does on the supermarket muck.. but then again the engine's Brazilian, so it's allowed to be different! It gets one tank of Optimax forced down it's neck in every 4, just to make sure it stays clean.

Will have to try the new stuff though, maybe it'll love it!
My car runs best (it seems) on Sainsbury's 97ron. I know the trip computer isn't that acurate, however using that as a gauge I get around 325 to a tank with Super(97ron) and on the way up the road with sensible driving got 40MPG on the clock. that soon changed though. That aside, seems to run smoother. Plus its not as expensive as Optimax was.

·
Registered
674 Posts
While I was in France I was filling up using the 99Ron and 101 Ron fuels at the garages. Even with the car fully loaded (holiday) it pulled like a steam train. Then in a moment of madness I decided to fill her up with some Elf normal 95 ron thinking that as I was cruising at 80-90 I didnt really need the extra "umph".....What a mistake - the car pinked and didnt have the power up some of the hills. I couldnt wait to get two more tanks full of 99Ron again after that.

Usually I use Sainsburys Super, or my local Tesco now has 99Ron, currently around the 94p per litre. Being that the local Shell garage wanted 102p for optimax, Ive never noticed much difference between Sainsburys, Tesco or Optimax so havent put any Optimax in for ages.

But, I'll try a couple of tanks out - I seem to really notice the difference - if the wife fills the car up with the cheap crap, I can tell within seconds of driving it - And I have a right go at her as it takes another 2 tanks to get the pull back between the gears and for the car to run smoother.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I filled the tank with some V-Power last night, I did notice that the fuel vapors smelt sweeter than optimax.
LOL! [:D]

Interestingly, V-Power is not the same RON everywhere. When I saw it in Germany years ago it was 100 RON, in some other countries (just do a Google for V-Power) it's as low as 95 RON [:S]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts