Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah I know your all prolly gonna gimme a ribbin.. but I don't care.. call me Delia if you must [:p]

Sat here reading through all these threads about food and feeling fairly hungry, so I decided to create a recipes thread.. anything you like, share it, anything you think we should all be eatin', then share it here !

I'll add two that we have at home all the time:

Dead easy and quick these, but well tasty and filling..

Tuna Pasta

One can of tuna (large size not the small ones)

Two tubs of creme fraiche

One can of pesto

Pasta to feed two.

Boil pasta.. etc.. mix tuna, creme fraiche and maybe half the pesto (dependent on how you like it to taste) in a saucepan and gently heat it til the creme fraiche goes a bit runnier, stirring all the time.. then when it's pretty warm, pur it over the steaming hot pasta and serve.. deeeelish ! ten mins at most and pretty tasty, imo anyway !

Prawn Pasta

Pasta to feed two (obv !)

Jar of "seafood sauce" (some times called thousand island or marie rose)

Jar of sun dried tomatoes

Spring onions

Prawns

Boil Pasta etc

Cut up the spring onions and the tomatoes into small chunks - prolly only half the jar but just use your common sense here !

Mix the sauce, prawns, tomatoes and spring onions and gently warm on the hob in a saucepan.. pour over the pasta.. eh voila ! very tasty [:)]

Both of them take ten mins at the most and are dead cheap.

Jamie Oliver is going to bed now [:p]

·
Registered
162 Posts
OK this is gonna make me hungry!

Thai Tuna steaks with thai salad (10 mins prep, 10 mins cooking)

You will need 1 decent sized tuna steak per person (its quite meaty so dont get a slab!)

to marinade it you will need

2 fresh squeezed limes

5 tablespoons of soy sauce

2 tablespoons of sesame oil

10 lugs of olive oil

2 chopped fresh chillis

a tablespoon of chopped ginger

a chopped clove of garlic

Its best to prepare this an hour or so before you cook it. Put the tuna in a tray lined with tin foil with high sides that can be put under a grill, Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and then pur them over the tuna making sure all the chilli etc is sitting on the tuna steaks. Cover this with cling film and leave on the side for an hour or so.

Now for the salad...

You will need:

an iceburg lettuce, or cabbage, or chinese leaf

bean sprouts

cashew nuts crushed

yellow/red peppers

maybe noodles if you like but fresh egg ones that can be eaten cold!

Now to make it... Chop lettuce, peppers and mix with lots of bean sprouts in a big bowl keep it nice and crispy. If you want the noodles mix them in. Then top this off with the cashews. (a good dressing for the salad is mix another batch of the marinade above but with less olive oil and its lovely)

Ok an hour later the tuna is ready and now you can switch the grill on (dont turn it up to "nuke the food" but put it on medium settng) then grill each side of the tuna for 3-4 mins or until cooked through. Dont overcook as it will be chewy.

Then serve....

Adaptations: Rics is also nice with this dish. Or if you dont like tuna replace with chicken and add mango to the salad too.

Good recipe to impress the girlfriend guys.

OK last one I promise much easier

Home made potatoe skins (These are the best in the world no joke!)

You will need:

Potatoes of a decent size that are recommended for boiling or baking (around the sixe of a tennis ball)

Cheese (mozzerella makes a nice change but cheddar si lovely still)

Sour cream

Sweet chilli sauce

Bacon (or lardons which are already chopped bacon)

Now preheat the oven to 200 degrees C, then chop up your bacon and fry it up nice and crispy! Then boil the potaotes for 20 mins, cut them in half and scoop some of the middle out. Rub them in olive oil as this helps them to crisp. Put in oven for 15-20 mins and then take out add bacon and cheese or just cheese, put in for a further 2 mins and voila! Add sour cream and sweet chilli and they are soooo nice much better than frozen ones!

Hope you all like

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
1, Get in car.

2, Drive to Bab [1] van

3, Exchange money for Bab [1]

4, Drive home

5, Eat

Notes:

[1] above can be substituted for for anything of your choice.

[2] For those posters above and ceretainly more to come below, you need a good woman to cook you your dinner.

[3] For those female members on here, call me old fashioned if you will, cos I am and anyway shouldn't you be doing the ironing or cooking dinner anyway instead of reading this ?

[4] The opinions and views expressed in this post are totally fictional and may not neccessarily be those of the writer...in fact they are a load of sexist rubbish and in fact the metrosexuality of those male members who contribute recipes has to be admired and I can't wait for a male makeup thread to start as I have a few questions on what is the best foundation to use for concealing dark circles under my eyes as the one I'm using at the moment simply doesn't seem to last all day?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
yeah... not impressed with u mister lol...

Little tip for u, if u r looking to get a hot lady and i meant hot without beer goggles, follow my recipe.................................
Don't need to fella, got one already and she's at home right now doing the Ironing and probably thinking about what she can cook me for dinner.

Note:

If she knew I'd said that, I'd be dead upon arival at home.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Okay, I can't remember any of my recipes, I'll look some out tonight but for the mean time here is a simple sauce/jus I do to liven up a nice steak.

I like my steak pretty bloody so when I'm happy with it I take it out to rest and deglaze the pan with some red wine. Throw in a few splashes of worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, add a sprig of rosemary and some crushed black pepper. reduce it down, add a handful of chopped parsley and thats it. Adjust the quantities to taste. I change it nearly every time, sometimes I'll add some cream, sometimes fry some chopped onions in or maybe add some cornflour to thicken it up, or make the whole thing with white wine?

So there you go, thats my piece.

Hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Oh, hold on, one more tip.

If you're having carrots with your dinner, boil the sticks/rounds in fresh orange juice instead of water, or 80% orange 20% water!

Adds a totally different dimesion, well tasty!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Fried Fluffy Herb Potatoes... Simple, but slightly different to Roasts - and quicker!

- As many potatoes as you like.

Boil as normal till nearly soft all the way through (Part Boil), Strain them in a strainer, but really whizz them around whilst drainaing water to give them a fluffy outside. Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan on a medium to low heat, add potatoes, let them turn golden brown on the outside until all sides are done. Serve with a sprinkling of herbs over to taste. Lovely!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Spicy Noodles..... Chopped chillies mixed with boiled noodles, and a cheap chillie sauce

Marmite and Dairy Lea Baguette

Curry

Cardimon pods, coriander leaf, ginger, ground salt, pepper, turmeric, whole coriander... grind up in a pecil and mortar chcuk in a pan with fresh chicken/lamb and fry till brown

add a fair whack of yogurt onions and lime or lemon rind and even peppers or jalepenos then add some water and boil for 20-60 minutes.....

then serve on a bed of rice

PASTA

tin of peeled plum tomatoes, onions chopped chunky, peppers, crushed garlic, red or white wine, ground pepper, splash of balsamic vinegar

Then cook for 20 minutes and add some salt and a bit of sugar to taste... serev on a bed of tagliatelle with loads fo grated parmazan

Balsamic vinegar chicken salad

get a roast chicken, (cold) scrape the chicken off with a forke ALA crispy duck style, then soak it in bowl with a small amount of balsamic vinegar, the chicken soaks it up... then serve this on a bed of slad preferably rocket with homemade croutons or or crushed dry toast.... then put on scrapings of a dry cheese such as parmezan

Tangy tomato soup

Add tabasco to normal heinz tomato soup

Cheesy Nachos

get a big bag of plain nachos or doritos, put in and oven proof bowl, cover in a salsa dip and some chopped onions, then cover in grated cheese, bake for 5 to 10 minutes........

one big bag will feed three Ideal for when you have mates around.. I have fed 6 people for a £7 with this and its cheap and easy

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I SWEAR to you that this is the best chocolate brownie recipe you'll ever make - just try it!

Ingredients:

550g plain choc (Tesco plain chocolate - 25p for 100g)

225g butter, cut into pieces

3 eggs

225g caster sugar

75g self-raising flour

1/2 level teaspoon of salt

1tsp vanilla essence

Recipe:

Grease and line with greaseproof paper a baking tin 22 x 29cm.

Roughly chop 225g chocolate and put aside.

Break the remaining chocolate into small pieces and melt with the butter (using a bowl over hot water).

Leave to cool for about 10min.

Mix the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl then beat the choc mixture into it.

Fold in the flour, vanilla essence, salt and the 225g of chopped chocolate you put aside earlier.

Pour into baking tin.

Bake in the oven at 190 degrees c or gas mark 5 for 45 mins - check after 30min though - the middle should be really soft and look like there's a sort of skin of chocolate on top - like the skin you get when milk boils.

Take it ot of the oven and leave it for at least an hour as it will lose its shape if take out of the baking tin immediately.

Leave it overnight and eat the next day.

It's very rich, so a small bit is enough. It tastes so good!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Desserts are my thing

This one is pretty popular

Posted Image

Meringue Mille Feuille

Serves 6. Prep 20 mins. Cook 1½ hrs plus cooling.

Cost per portion 91p. Clas per portion 466. Fat per portion 38g. Carbs per portion 28g.

(but worth it ;))

3 large egg whites

175g unrefined caster sugar

1tsp cornflour

1tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice

2 x 284ml cartons double or whipping cream

Crème de cassis to taste (optional)

450g mixed summer berries, large ones chopped

1. Preheat oven to gas mark 4 / 180°C (170°C in a fan oven). Mark out
three rectangles about 12cm x 24cm on nonstick baking paper and place
on baking sheets. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites till stiff peaks
form, then whisk in ½ sugar, a little at a time, till stiff and shiny.
Fold in remaining sugar* along with the cornflour and vinegar or lemon
juice

* Don't be too fussy about this as any little sugar clumps will form delicious crispy caramelised bits!

2. Divide meringue between rectangles and smooth down. Place in oven
and cook for 5 minutes, then lower temperature to gas mark ½ / 130°C
(120°C in a fan oven) for 1-1½ hrs, till the meringues peel off the
paper easily. Turn off oven and leave meringues in there to cool
completely.

3. In a large bowl, whip cream till soft peaks form, then whisk in a
good drizzle of crème de cassis if using. Now spread over the three
meringues*. Add a drizzle of cassis to the berries and divide between
the meringues. Then layer the rectangles on top of each other on a
serving plate.

* I would recommend taking meringues off trays and paper first, and
placing them on thin chopping boards so they are easier to slide on top
of each other without breaking.

Enjoy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.