Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

sharan/passat rear badge or smooth off?

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  hz2921 
#1 ·
Hi Guys , just in a dilemma, went to get some prices for my bodywork that i need done, but am in two minds as to whether to smooth the back badge off or to fit the sharan badge , what do you think?, ive ordered the sharan badge and it will go on for at least two months, looking at mattys black v5 makes me think i,ll keep it, but i dont know, so i,ll have a bit of time to think, i will also be removing the rear wiper arm and motor, filling up the hole in the glass., any piccys you could post would be welcome.

Zak

#4 ·
Quote: posted by hz2921 on 12/01/2005 16:46:20

Hi Guys , just in a dilemma, went to get some prices for my bodywork that i need done, but am in two minds as to whether to smooth the back badge off or to fit the sharan badge , what do you think?, ive ordered the sharan badge and it will go on for at least two months, looking at mattys black v5 makes me think i,ll keep it, but i dont know, so i,ll have a bit of time to think, i will also be removing the rear wiper arm and motor, filling up the hole in the glass., any piccys you could post would be welcome.

Zak

Mate IMO the golf looks too smooth with no badge at back. dehandle all the way!!(Solenoid boot) but u need to keep a badge of sorts!! [:D]

#5 ·
Is the Sharan badge flatter than the passat one?

I'm trying to find out as the passat one I've got is curved and the middle sits slightly proud of the surround.

I'm trying to investigate the differences between the saloon and estate versions to see if they're the same.

#7 ·
Ive ordered the sharan badge, and should pick it up today, and fit it, ive been advised that it is flatter then the passat badge, with has to be beefed up in the central area to make it stick, it also sits within the second lip of the recess, so lokks like its the same size as the passat badge

#13 ·
Quote: posted by Richard W on 13/01/2005 15:04:15

Both, if you drop the V from the part number they're identical - 3B5 is the code for the passat and is the same as the one I bought (3B5 853 630 FDY) which is curved.

Mate its deffo NOT the same, its flat backed. sticks straight on, I have one, and have seen the passat badge too.[:D]

#15 ·
Quote: posted by Carlos on 13/01/2005 17:55:02

I'd go smooth..not a fan of the smaller badges....as they don'y look "perfect". Maybe smooth then put a smaller badge over the top, that would look geat IMO.

Very very true, that is my ideal too, and will probably be done becasue i am going to be de handling.... in fact I am thinking of using the Bora boot lock mechanism (The badge with lock in) to do the job, so as I have a form of manual release if the locking fails.

However smoothing the badge out is veeeery expensive to do on its own, and im happy to make do with the tiny lip for the sake of many pounds spent!! plus Zak's car is black, so lip is hardly noticeable.[:D]

#19 ·
Quote: posted by hz2921 on 13/01/2005 18:35:28

Cage, did you take the rear wiper off?, if so what did you use to fill up the hole, would a ketchup bottle cap fit?[;)]

At 1st I got a rubber grommet from another forum member who had them made, but that got stolen @ Ace Cafe, so I replaced with a cover from Cult Society from Eurotek. I preferred the grommet though.

#20 ·
Quote: posted by cage on 13/01/2005 18:37:18

Quote: posted by hz2921 on 13/01/2005 18:35:28

Cage, did you take the rear wiper off?, if so what did you use to fill up the hole, would a ketchup bottle cap fit?[;)]

At 1st I got a rubber grommet from another forum member who had them made, but that got stolen @ Ace Cafe, so I replaced with a cover from Cult Society from Eurotek. I preferred the grommet though.

yup, grommet is the way ahead. Cage your car was/is lovely but for personal preferenace I just cant stand that eysore handle... god only knows why they chose that uneven massive item for the mk4. Just think doing it the other way round ie leave badge and remove handle looks a bit more natural. Only IMO!![:I] Thats why im gonna try to rig up this bora rear badgelock when I do it, so still got that safety of a manual release.[:D]

#24 ·
Quote: posted by hz2921 on 14/01/2005 00:01:22

Mark is this what youre talking about?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awww man somones made my car already!!!! looks nice but needs a small badge to break the expanse of metal!!!

Will be using a coded 4motion rear valance too... bloody same lights as me aswell!!![V]

#25 ·
Quote: posted by GaryM on 13/01/2005 21:53:01

Quote: posted by evilhomer on 13/01/2005 17:47:31

Mate its deffo NOT the same, its flat backed. sticks straight on, I have one, and have seen the passat badge too.[:D]

Can you confirm that V3B5 853 630 FDY is definatly the p/n for the Sharan badge?

I'm pretty sure thats not it- I'm sure it ends in AFDY.

Don't have the number with me at work though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.