Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
i got mine from main dealers,about a ?10 i think it was 04 onwards.i also took mine apart and color coded it.sorry no pics as i dont know how to post them.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys been a great help. i ll pick one up from the dealers at the weekend. Whats the best kinda paint to use for colour coding it.

bigalvw - does the badge come apart then yeah, did you use a paint pen to do it?

Thanks again.

Carl

·
Registered
267 Posts
tbh its a bit of a pig to take apart,you have to drill the ends off.i used normal spray cans no problems.then just glued it back together.[Y]

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Here's mine colour coded:

Posted Image

As bigalvw said, the front chrome bit of the badge has some plastic pins on the back of it, these go through the black plastic back bit of the badge and then are kind of rivetted over. What you need to do is peel the sticky off the back of the badge, find these rivetted pins and remove the burred over part of them. This can either be done with a drill or with a Stanley knife (which is what I used).

The badge can then be split into two bits, the chrome VW logo part and the black plastic backing. Prep and spray the black bit up (much better than touch up pen), then when dry, you can push the chrome VW logo back into the freshly color coded bit. I used a few drips of superglue over the ends of the pins to hold it all in place.

Then put some new double sided sticky on the back (the thin foam tape is best) and stick it on to your car and admire .

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers fellas been a massive help. I ll buy the badge this weekend but its me b day on monday so i dont think it ll be a good idea to tackle this at the weekend!! [:p][:p]

Garfie - when you say prep the backing what you mean mate, aint had any exp with spraying.

Cheers again.

Carl [:D]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Spraying is really easy,

First of all I would just wash it down with soapy water, let it dry, then use some Wet and Dry sandlike paper from Halfords or somewhere similar(think Homebase do basic stuff) Start off using maybe 600 to give it a rub down, using water with the wet and dry paper.
I would then primer it with plastic primer, I got some from Halfords, pretty cheap stuff. That will make it grey...then wet and dry it again with 800/1200 grain paper then wash down again...let it dry and then spray with the colour of your car. Then you can 1200 grain paper it again after about 3 coats of colour matched paint to make a non glossy finish, then finish off with 2 coats of lacquer which will give it a kinda shiny top layer!
I just clicked mine back together then stuck it back on the car with double sided sticky foam by sellotape. (Homebase again!)

There are a few guides in the how-to area how to paint things, they will help, but on a relatively small job like this its pretty straightforward!

Andy

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Could anyone with a sharan badge on their car do me a favour and measure the width of it? I want to know how big it is, so that I can work out whether it will fit the recess on another VW. It will save me wasting my money if it is too small.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
may be a silly question but how does the original vw badge come off?? its got like a rubber seal round it? cheers fellas

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Could anyone with a sharan badge on their car do me a favour and measure the width of it? I want to know how big it is, so that I can work out whether it will fit the recess on another VW. It will save me wasting my money if it is too small.

Thanks in advance.
02 Bora, the Sharan badge measures 90mm across it (diameter)

AaronD, the badge is held on with good strong double sided sticky. The rubber seal around the edge just stops the water getting behind it as far as I know. Several methods of removing the badge include using fishing line and kind of cheese wiring it off or work it off with a plastic ruler (as I did). Once you can get your fingers behind it its a lot easier and will pull off.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
the Sharan badge measures 90mm across it (diameter)
Cheers Garfie, thankyou for taking the time and effort to measure it for me.

For info and anyone wanting to order one, the Sharan badge is part number 7M3 853 630 AFDY

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi All,

A couple of you have said you used double sided sticky foam to stick the badge back on the car. Have you had any problems with this? I mean, has the badge started to peel off the car or water get behind it? Was just wondering if its gonna be strong enough thats all.

Might try some epoxy or somethin.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i bought mine from the dealers for 12.95 and it already had the sticky foam on it.

Took the old one off with a piece of cotton, cleaned the paint work aligned the new one and stuck it on

Bobs your uncle! No leaks nothing [:D]

·
Registered
874 Posts
When I took my old badge off, the sticky foam backing stayed on the car.

I had already taken the Sharan one apart to colour code it and in the process destroyed the sticky pad it came with.

As luck would have it the pad from the original badge is smaller than the Sharan badge so I just stuck the Sharan badge to the original sticky stuff.

It's been there for two years with no signs of falling off![:D]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts