Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been quite a bit of talk on here about shampoo the last few days/weeks...........

So my question/thread is about "what is a good shampoo"???

They all clean the car, they all get rinsed off, and all leave the paint beneath revealed (as in its the paint that shines, not the shampoo making it shine).....so surely the quality of the shine on your car before it got dirty is what makes it shine afte it has been shampoo'd, and not indeed the shampoo itself.......else, why do we spend o long waxing and polishing, if all a car needed to make it shine was a decent shampoo?

get my drift?

so, why are some shampoo's better than others.??

·
Registered
233 Posts
There has been quite a bit of talk on here about shampoo the last few days/weeks...........

So my question/thread is about "what is a good shampoo"???

They all clean the car, they all get rinsed off, and all leave the paint beneath revealed (as in its the paint that shines, not the shampoo making it shine).....so surely the quality of the shine on your car before it got dirty is what makes it shine afte it has been shampoo'd, and not indeed the shampoo itself.......else, why do we spend o long waxing and polishing, if all a car needed to make it shine was a decent shampoo?

get my drift?

so, why are some shampoo's better than others.??
I would say a good shampoo is one that safely removes dirt from the vehicle, rinses away easily and requires minimum fuss and leaves a pleasing finish .

(Or perhaps that is what I am looking for in a shampoo)

I do not wax most of the time I wash the car and during the winter I want to just wash and go, so I am seeking an effective fuss free solution.

In the past (yrs ago) I used TW Zip, AG was for the posh people, then when I got my MK4 I decided to try the AG and was pleased with the results & to be honest I cannot see why there is a downer on AG products, folk at work had commented on the appearance of my most recent 2 cars, then one of the girls at work got a black 206, she asked where she could get it valeted, by now I was aware of other products and Megs was raved about, so I offered to give her car the once over so long as she paid for the Megs, once again the results were pleasing but no more and prolly less so than the AG. I tried the Zymol autowash which also gives a pleasing result but requires much more rinsing than AG.

I would like to try some of the Megs Soft gel but suspect it will be similar to Zymol which is a good thing cos it 3 quid cheaper, but as the shampoos last so long it is hard to try plenty without wasting money , with several products on the garage shelf then the proper Zymol etc seems excellent value for money.

So far I have tried AG, Zymol (cheaper stuff) , TW Extreme, Megs GC, TW power wash and for me I'd say the AG would be my final winner,

However haven't tried the baby shampoo route and suspect I could get ample results from supermarket car shampoo brands and at 88p per litre wow!

I hope we can see some more pictures of just/only washed cars ....

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think the shampoo does make a difference, they're not just about lifting off crud but most of the better ones contain protective gloss plating agents. I use AG shampoo for washing/rinsing my glasses and they really sparkle compared to rinsing with liquid hand soap (don't use washing up liquid as this would attack the paint on the frame). I sometimes think my car looks shinier after washing than it does immediately after polishing and glazing [:|] That might be due to a greater difference from dirty to clean though (A/B comparison and all that).

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I hope we can see some more pictures of just/only washed cars ....
Whenever my brother washes hes car (sonnys_sdi) he only uses the zymol
shampoo, and has never waxed his car after, and 99% of the time the car
just looks clean and shiny with that.

Heres a quick pic of what he done a week back ago going from this

Posted Image

Posted Image

to this

Posted Image

Posted Image

with just a wash with zymol and a chamois down, but the rear end took two attempts to make it clean.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Personally speaking I would rate shampoo's in the following:

Zymol concentrate

Johnson's baby shampoo

TripleWax

Autoglym

Meguiars Gold Class

I've found Zymol the most satisfying to use. It bubbles up
nicely, and shifts dirt well, and also leaves the paintwork very glossy
feeling when rinsed off. I've found that it also preserves
waxed surfaces longer, which is a good thing too.

Johnson's baby shampoo is just a godsend. It's cheap and it does pretty much the same as Zymol.

Megauirs Gold Class to me is just pants. I bought a bottle of
this stuff and really didn't rate it at all. It doesnt bubble up
all that well, and neither does it shift dirt all that well. Plus
it's relatively expensive. Brand name without delivering
BRand results..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've said it before and I say it again: Sonax Gloss. You get enough suds (but not too much) and as you wash it on you can feel it sort of "lubricating" the surface of the paint. Your wash mitt really slides across it. Also, it's a piece of wee to rinse off (the benefit of not too many suds). I can tell it's not stripped of the previous wax or sealer because the water is still beading during washing and rinsing.

Also, on black cars it doesn't leave any streaking (my mate was well impressed with the results on his flat black Celica)(he was even more impressed after I'd Klassed and Pinnacled it[Y])

I agree, it's down to the preparation of the paintwork before washing but good shampoo also goes along way in preserving this prep and adding some shine.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Mine always looks like this after a wash, which in these pics is just after a polish and glaze. I think if anything there is a far greater difference in the feel rather than the look, if I've not polished/waxed for a long time (you all know that heavenly smooth feel...). Oh, and if I've only washed and not polished/waxed and buffed, if I look closely enough then of course there are spots and streaks due to the hard water.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
233 Posts
My car has been dirtier than this (Sonny's car) at the rear, and both zymol and ag have cleared to my liking in 1 foul swoop, the zymol does have a slight different appearance to the ag.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but surely the resultant shine is down to the condition of the paint prior to it getting dirty......not the shampoo?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I would say largely it is, but most shampoos are not just full of cleaning agents, but also wax-renewing and other optical enhancement and protective barrier ingredients. Fundamentally the paint must be in good condition, this is probably 99.5% of it, and any differences between shampoos isn't going to be night and day in terms of final finish. Ditto with cleaning power, the sponge being physically dragged across the dirt will clean off crud whether you're using shampoo or plain water in most cases, it forms a bigger part of the equation than the shampoo.

·
Registered
398 Posts
but surely the resultant shine is down to the condition of the paint prior to it getting dirty......not the shampoo?
Totally agree Essex....you could have the best most expensive shampoo in the world...but if the paintwork on the car is Sh#t in the first place it aint gonna happen!!!! [:p]

"Shampoo makes your wax and hours of graft look good"......"Wax makes the shampoo work and cuts down your hours of graft"..

Simple as that.....[:D] said this before.....and will stick by it 110%.........

Zymol + JJ Baby Shampoo 50/50 mix [;)][;)]... (a cap full of each)....job done....there is NO better.....[au][au]

Nick

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Good Topic [Y]

I like to try new stuff & for me my current favourite is SONAX Gloss shampoo, you can pick this up at your local Vauxhall dealer, I paid ?3.00 for a 700ml bottle.

I washed her yesterday & these show before & after ..............(I also used AG Autogloss Rinse)....

Last time I waxed her was early december

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Good Topic [Y]

I like to try new stuff & for me my current favourite is SONAX Gloss shampoo, you can pick this up at your local Vauxhall dealer, I paid ?3.00 for a 700ml bottle.

I washed her yesterday & these show before & after ..............(I also used AG Autogloss Rinse)....

Last time I waxed her was early december

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Looks good J. I hear good things about that Sonax stuff. Might have to dash to "the den of iniquity" = "the poxhall dealer" [:p] [:#] to get some then..

·
Registered
126 Posts
nice one Jace looks the job we love Black!and in this weather you do not want to be outside waxing etc.

I washed mine last week with IZ Perls which I used for the firdt time and was mighty impressed-howver the price is the downside.

I must try Sonax Gloss but the Vauxhall dealer here is such a pain to park--I know I had 3 from him in the past!

What about that VW Wash and Wax have you ever tried that?

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice one Jace looks the job we love Black!and in this weather you do not want to be outside waxing etc.

I washed mine last week with IZ Perls which I used for the firdt time and was mighty impressed-howver the price is the downside.

I must try Sonax Gloss but the Vauxhall dealer here is such a pain to park--I know I had 3 from him in the past!

What about that VW Wash and Wax have you ever tried that?
Elsewhere there is mention that the VW stuff is Sonax!

Can someone confirm if the Zymol is actually made by turtle wax or just bottled?

·
Registered
521 Posts
 stuff that you get in Halfords has the same address as the Turtle Wax factory....., so it is probably similar stuff, just with a different scent and colouring as other Turtle Wax items......

·
Registered
233 Posts
stuff that you get in Halfords has the same address as the Turtle Wax factory....., so it is probably similar stuff, just with a different scent and colouring as other Turtle Wax items......
I already called TW who kindly returned the call and confirmed that the Zymol is made under licence by themselves at the factory up north.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts