Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AG is almost finished and I am about 2/3 through another brand.

I have used megs GC on a friends black car and not convinced the megs GC route.

Anyone here have experience of any of the following?

Turtlewax clearvue

Megs Soft gel

Amour all

Simoniz

Zymol autowash

On the whole I wan't to just wash and go, ocassionally I use a pressure washer, any experiences welcome, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
The GoldClass isnt that great on Black, it leaves a iridescent kind of streak if its not hosed off enough, IMO.

The NXT is very good & the bottle lasts quite a long time.

Out of what you have listed I'd suggested either the Zymol or soft wash, having used these two myself.

2p [au]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've got Zymol and NXT

Both very good, both smell lovely, but I would say the NXT is slightly better

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i use megs soft gel......excellent stuff.

good foam, good cleansing properties, and leaves a nice shine, and a good base to wax on. and the cos its mega concentrated, it lasts AGES!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Only stuff I use now is Sonax Gloss Shampoo. Comes in an orange 1/2 litre bottle and costs about ?7 from a shop on flea bay. Works like a dream with a proper lambs wool mit and your rinse water beads straight of it.

Brilliant stuff. Can't recommend it more.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Only stuff I use now is Sonax Gloss Shampoo. Comes in an orange 1/2 litre bottle and costs about ?7 from a shop on flea bay. Works like a dream with a proper lambs wool mit and your rinse water beads straight of it.

mate, i think you can get it at a vauxhall dealer for about ?3 according to Jace......

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IZ Perls used first time yesterday no suds but great "just waxed" finish,top job.
Folk complain about AG not sudding but the blurb suggests that it is not supposed to , the Zymol does foam and perhaps I am using too much but once off the car the suds is still there floating down the drain....

·
Registered
165 Posts

mate, i think you can get it at a vauxhall dealer for about ?3 according to Jace......
Hmmm. A mate at work bought some Sonax, again from flea-bay, from a place called "White Rose Vauxhall" . Same price but for a litre. TBH it looked like identical stuff but they don't have it anymore. They just do these piddling little 'one-shot' bottles.

Are you saying that I could go to the Vauxhall dealer in Norwich and get a bottle??

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I did use Zymol and loved it. It gave a great finish and a good clean.

However, after reading on here about Johnsons Baby Shampoo i now use this. Why pay upwards of ?8 for car shampoo when Johnsons works just as well, gives a great shine and doesn't strip wax off? It wouldn't work so well on really dirty cars but i wash mine every week and usually wax it too so it doesn't have to work so hard.
At ?1.50 odd a bottle and recommended by concours detailers i'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

However, after reading on here about Johnsons Baby Shampoo i now use this. Why pay upwards of ?8 for car shampoo when Johnsons works just as well, gives a great shine and doesn't strip wax off? It wouldn't work so well on really dirty cars but i wash mine every week and usually wax it too so it doesn't have to work so hard.
At ?1.50 odd a bottle and recommended by concours detailers i'm very happy with it.
I wash mine weekly or more, I have read with interest the J&J experience, would it be fair to say any baby shampoo would suffice?

As asda have their own brand for just 32p for 500ml

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I don't see why there would be any difference - if it is gentle enough for a baby's skin it isn't gonna affect paint!
You could always mix it with Zymol or the like too if you have to shift road salt or lots of grime. I haven't had to yet though. It hasn't failed to clean anything yet.
Plus, its good for cleaning up bird poo as it doesn't take the wax off.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Hmmm. A mate at work bought some Sonax, again from flea-bay, from a place called "White Rose Vauxhall" . Same price but for a litre. TBH it looked like identical stuff but they don't have it anymore. They just do these piddling little 'one-shot' bottles.

Are you saying that I could go to the Vauxhall dealer in Norwich and get a bottle??
[Y]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

once my soft gel has gone, i'm going to try this j&j stuff......sounds really good and the new people that test it keep saying its good.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Second that.....used to use just Zymol....but now mix it 50/50 with baby shampoo...only need a capfull of each....(blokes at work thought I was crazy...till they saw the finish!!!!) makes my mates Mitsi Warrior gleam...[:D][:D]

You can get the BIG bottles for ?2.90ish...(Boots or Asda)....loads of bubbles and TOTALLY harmless to ya Wax......[Y][Y]

Nick

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Second that.....used to use just Zymol....but now mix it 50/50 with baby shampoo...only need a capfull of each....(blokes at work thought I was crazy...till they saw the finish!!!!) makes my mates Mitsi Warrior gleam...[:D][:D]

You can get the BIG bottles for ?2.90ish...(Boots or Asda)....loads of bubbles and TOTALLY harmless to ya Wax......[Y][Y]

Nick
good hint with the 50/50 stuff there.....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Correct ! I paid ?3.00 for a 700ml bottle from a Vauxhall dealer.....[:D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts