Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove home from my girlfriends house, and pulled out of her road, and the car started acting strange. It is seriously hesitating, as though maybe it the MAF, but then when i got home and listened to it, the exhaust seems to be chugging (?!). instead of being a smooth sounding engine like it normally is, it seems to be making the same sort of noise as a steam train does (chug chug chug). Lifted the bonnet and the engine seems to be shaking like mad as well.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I use the car everyday to get to work, so need it sorted fairly quickly [:'(]

ta

·
Registered
221 Posts
maybe one of ur engine mount ssnapped? happened to a mates golf, engine was shaking, and lower down. Not too sure about sound though

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quite response.

Maybe it is that. i think i will have to call in sick tomorrow and get it looked at, i dont know if i want to drive almost 30 miles with it like that

·
Registered
51 Posts
Similar thing happened in my Bora - engine was vibrating like hell and running very rough. Turns out it was running rich - had a Lambda probe replaced, and all was back to normal. Thing that gave it away for me was holding a piece of paper at the exhaust exits - mine was spraying petrol all over it! Might be worth checking.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if the lambda probe has gone, it will spray petrol out the end of the exhuast?

Its really strange though as i drove to work and back today (55miles total), and it was fine, it wasnt until i left my GFs house, that it started

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup, that's what happened with me. Ran fine when moving (did loads of miles), then when idling the whole car was shaking like crazy. I assume it was petrol, was definitely wet and had picked up a load of soot from the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It jsut seems to be shaky whether i am moving or still.

I was sat on the forcourt of the petrol station, and it was shaking terribly.it felt like.... going uphill being pulled by the chain on a rollercoaster. that is the only way i can describe it really

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, jsut been and checked, the little b**ch (sorry for the language) doesnt seemt o be spitting fuel at all, but she did seem as though she was trying to suck air in [^o)] not loads, but enough to make me get 2 black soo rings on the peice of paper...

I hate cars. [:(]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had this but with my brake vacum servo hose which had split, causing the braking to harder also showing the symptoms of a miss fire idle (shakey). Check to hear for any hissing or escaping sound near the Vacum servo hose follow the hose from the vacum servo all the way along the back to the inlet. if there is even a tiny leak it will result in bad idle or rough running and also cause braking issues.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
taken the car to the garage my uncle works at this morning, They seem to think that one of the coil packs is the cause. The stupid thing is though, that as soon as i got there, it started working again and was ok. no huge shake, not going down to about 600rpm when i stop, nothing.

Hopefully it will work as it is suppose to now though, and i wont have to buy a new coil pack. Does anyone know how much these are if i were to need one?

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, i thought they would ahve been really expensive! was getting really worried

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
This sounds very similar to an intermittent problem i've had for a while now. Especially the chugging sound from the exhaust ! I found the way to sort it (albeit not sure if it's permanent or not but it's worked twice now!) is to undo all the contacts to the coilpacks and the ignition amplifier module (on the back of the airbox if your an agu; not so much an amplifier but I think it's more of a modern day distributor) then clean them and re connect them and make sure they have a good connection.

I thought it was my coilpacks too, but on inspection they are fine and as soon as the connections are reseated, it's fine again.

The shaking is quite worrying isn't it ! The coilpacks are about ?25-?30 new and the ignition amp module is the thick end of ?200 when I last checked ! [:'(] I'll try and find some more links that i've found on here to this problem..

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ta mate, mine seems to be a bit tempermmental at the moment. It works ok most of the time, but then.like this mornings, it plays up again. but them after a bit of a rev in neutal, and driving a bit more, its ok again.

The car does seem as though it is lacking a bit of power still at the moment, even when its behaving, so i might see if i can get a VAG COM soon. Its due an MOT next month as well, so i hope it works properly then!

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really? Posting spam on a mod's post? Don't you think they'll be deleted?

We could always just ban you from the classifieds if that's all you're doing?

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Really? Posting spam on a mod's post? Don't you think they'll be deleted?

We could always just ban you from the classifieds if that's all you're doing?
daftest thing ive seen in a while dude. it did make me laugh.

i actually read the thread and thought you had problems. then i was like hang on dervs dont have spark plugs. and paul has a derv last time i checked. i then started typoing a reply then saw his daft bumping and cottoned on lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts