Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a bag of tools at moment but there are in no sort of order, bits of this and parts of that, I bet some of you have the same problem.

So I am lookin to buy a small roller bearing chest(probably 3-5 drawers) and some half descent tools to put in it. Now I dont want to spend big bucks and go down the snapon route but also want to avoid thoes nasty lesser know names and there are plenty of them about.

Have a good britool ratchet/s so am looking for some sockets short/deep some alan key/torx sockets and srewdriver bits. ?200 roughly.

Suggestions please

Cheers [8]BALL

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Laugh all you like but I've got a half decent set of Halfords tools (circa ?80) just replace the few naff tools and there you go! In reality a nice set open top and 2 draws with shadow board style tool mountings

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Was going to say the same as most of the rest. Halfords Professional stuff is hard to beat at the price. I've yet to try out the "lifetime" guarantee, (never managed to break anything!) but it's there, so it must mean something.

Worth watching for their 3 for 2 offers on tools - they usually have one around this time of year.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
yep, halfords have got a great name for once, and their lifetime guarantee works too! a few people i know have broken their kit and have taken it back for replacements no questions asked.

other than that, machine mart do half decent roller bearing drawers and my draper expert 1/2" ratchet set has lasted me years of loyal and brutal service on my old beetle.

old faithful that kit!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also was at my local Euro car parts store today and seen they had a renge of Sealy multi coloured spanners and sockets at around ?20, have any of you had any experience with this make??

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
got some of the first halfords pro stuff nearly 12 years ago when I was karting and it is still going strong today, (this set has built many karts and several 205,s and now my golf) plus when you lose a bit you can just pop down the road and replace it, I also have a hand me down sealey roller bearing tool chest

make sure you get deep reach socketc they are invaluable

have a look at your local halfords aswell as they are having a clearance on sykes pickayvant tools got myself a caliper winde back toll and other bits for next to nothing

·
Registered
154 Posts
As has been said already the Halfords professional stuff really is good. Its actually made by sykes pickavant and they will honour the lifetime guarantee. The Halfords tool chests are very good too, particularly thier black industrial ones, but the red stuff is very good. I have got halfords tool chests, (one black, and one Red) and really can't fult them. Other brands mentioned that I rate are Britool, King Richard, Facom and Teng. I think Snap-on are very over rated. I am a bit obsessive about my tools (I have a lot!) and would defiantly recomend the Halfords Pro sockets and spanners...

or try here and look at thier special offers pages - facom, britool etc at reasonable prices.

Sealy stuff is OK, and is on a par with the Draper Expert type stuff ie a lot of it is chinese import, but OK.

I will stop now... [:p]

Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts