Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps, Done 4,500 miles now and this morning the warning flashed up saying service needed in 2,000 miles, is this right? I thought the first service was 10,000 or 12 months. if its wrong, is it a common fault ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your car is most likely on the variable servicing schedule so could be anything up to 2 years. The car monitors oil condition and how the car is driven. If you have been doing lots of stop start motoring then I believe that it will reduce the service intervals. You don't say how old the car is or when it was last serviced, so it's difficult to say why the indicator might have come on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That reminds me. I had the inspection warning, serviced the car myself; changed oil etc etc. One thing I couldn't do was turn the inspection warning off. Every time I start teh car it keeps warning me. I followed the instructions from the haines manual, but couldn't get it to work. Do you need a service cable and software to disable this warning?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I could do with the answer to the above question too.

Everytime I start my car it flashed up SERVICE NOW. However it has recently been serviced. A friend who does all my vag.com stuff is not aware of how to reset the service warning. He did mention that it can be done manually via the dash pod buttons. Is this true?

Has anyone any ideas of how I reset this service warning??

2001 V5 170. No idea if it is on fixed or variable servicing. I just have it serviced every 3-4k regardless like I do all my cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if this works but from what i understand this is how you do it via the dash:

With ignition switched off press and hold the trip reset button.
Switch ignition on and release the reset button. Turn the knob to
reset the minutes on the clock to the right and the display should
return to normal.

Please note i have heard this messes up cars that are on variable service thingy? i could be wrong but use at your own risk.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Stellaman,

I think that you should ask the stealers as it does seem a little early
for a service, but it may be something to do with the kind of motoring
you are doing, such as a lot of short trips.

I think if the car is set to variable service and you reset the service
indicator using the trip reset button then the car reverts to fixed
intervals. i.e. 12 months or 10,000 miles. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If anyone could confirm the above method for reseting the service now indicator that would be much appreciated; dont want to go breaking anything!

Even if my car is on variable servicing, I dont mind changing it to fixed servicing as long as it wont bugger anything up. I service the car every 3-4k anyway on top of the annual services I have done at work to keep the FSH up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it did revert to fixed servicing you would have to change the oil type etc...

Seems alot of hastle, probably easier to get the dealer to reset it.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
And without sounding like a tightwad, I begrudge paying a dealer to reset a light that will probably take 3 minutes to do or can be done yourself, and probably be lightened of half an hour labour at full dealer rate for the privilege....

Surely there is an easier way???

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It's possible to reset the service indicator but you need VAG COM to do it and as far as I know there is no easy way to do this from the dash.

If you follow a fixed mileage services, then the method above is ok.

If the original poster's car is asking for service after 4.5k - has he put some non-approved oil in? You will get the same effect.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
With the ignition off, turn the right hand button on the clocks to the right, turn on the ignition and hold it there for 10sec, then release and push the other button once.

This should reset the service indicator.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Haynes book only gives the instructions for reseting the service display which shows up in the mileometer. If your Golf is like mine and has the service indicator on the red centre display (and counts down in intervals of 100 miles!) then the procedure is slightly different.

Turn off ignition, press and hold mileage reset, turn on ignition then release mileage reset, now press the small reset button on your right hand column stalk - the one that resets your average mpg etc. This resets your service display.

Its in the owners manual and worked for me yesterday!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Mine indicator is the one that appears on the red centre display, but I cant see any countdown or didnt notice anything before (like when you turn some cars on ie Minis it shows -4350 or whatever)

Mine just beeps and flashes 'Service Now' everytime I start it, then after a few seconds reverts back to the usual temp display.

The car does not need a service as it has been done twice now in the last 7000 miles, so I presume my car is on fixed servcing ie every 12k/12 months, and one of the two has gone over the time and the car thinks it needs a service?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thats what mine was doing but prior to that is counted down from about 2000 miles. It would say on start up 'Service due in 1900 miles' etc but no beep. The beep only started when the 'Service Now' message came up. You can only reset the fixed interval display, if you are on variable life servicing the dealer has to do it.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Never noticed any countdown, just one day it beeped and flashed 'Service Now' on startup, and its been doing it ever since. Do people think mine is on fixed or variable?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts