Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just got in my car and the bloody service warning came on!

It says service due in 2000 miles but I thought a service is due every 10K, so it really should be due over 3.5K!

Is this correct, or is something wrong for it to come on early?

Cheers

Ps how much is a 50K service?

·
Registered
131 Posts
presume u r on fixed 10k services?...if so gotta be something up...on VSI longlife u should be able to get 12-25k outta these ..mines motorways only and still hasnt gone off yet at 18700..but should soon surely myself i begin to wonder ..whats right from wrong ?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
mine does the same,counter runs out before it's due.

dealer even wrote on a sticker inside top drivers side of glass when it was due but counter still ran out about 1000 miles early.

i just reset it myself and got it done at 10,000 mile interval.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by J111ASE on 01/02/2005 14:59:44

mine does the same,counter runs out before it's due.

dealer even wrote on a sticker inside top drivers side of glass when it was due but counter still ran out about 1000 miles early.

i just reset it myself and got it done at 10,000 mile interval.

So i can just ignore the warning? I suppose the service stamp will be proof I'm getting my car serviced every 10K as when I take my car in in will be nearly 2K over the due warning! Or shall I call my dealers as I don't want to be stitched up when I need warranty work!?

J111ase, how do you reset the service warning?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Hope I'm not barging in, but:

(with ignition on)

1. Push and hold the odometerbutton.

2. Turn on ignition.

3. Turn digital clock button clockwise, and choose service to reset.

4. Turn off ignition.

Your Service indicator should now have been reset.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
i'm not saying you can ignor it .im just saying i ignored it till it had done the full 10,000.

with ignition off!

1. Push and hold the mile trip reset button.

2. Turn on ignition.

release button.

3. Turn digital clock button clockwise, and hold for 5 seconds.

service indicator will go.

4. Turn off ignition.

when you turn ignition back on all should be well.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
10,000 miles or a year.....

Did you get it done 10-11 months ago or so? It pings up the 2000 with either 2000 miles to go or so many weeks / a month....mine counted down from 2000 in 100 miles steps for 3 weeks (did about 400 miles in 3 weeks) then in the 4th week it jumped to SERVICE NOW message.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by UK Paul on 02/02/2005 07:36:45

10,000 miles or a year.....

Did you get it done 10-11 months ago or so? It pings up the 2000 with either 2000 miles to go or so many weeks / a month....mine counted down from 2000 in 100 miles steps for 3 weeks (did about 400 miles in 3 weeks) then in the 4th week it jumped to SERVICE NOW message.

Last service 3-4 months ago! [:O]

I'm gonna give the dealers a call to see what is going on!

Ps thanks for the instructions to reset it tho! [;)]

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by RichieDan on 02/02/2005 11:43:14

I believe that even on fixed interval servicing, if you still cane it, it will bring the service forward.

Didn't think I have been............. well not everyday [:D]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Don't worry mate, it's just a reminder, it's not telling you to actually get a service. Mine always goes off about 1000miles too early as well.

Your service histoty is good as long as you have it done every 10k miles. The reminder on the car has nothing to do with it- which is just as well 'cos it's not uncommon for VW dealers to forget to reset them!

Don't think the caning thing is true either- you're either on fixed service interval where you take it in every 10k miles or variable where the engine oil is monitored and lets you know when you need a service. Not a mixture. Especially one where it can make your intervals shorter but not longer!

·
Registered
92 Posts
When my dealer changed my service over to VSI (without asking, I might add), they made a right mess of resetting the service counters, so I had the reminder come on after about 6 weeks. To sort it out properly, rather than just reset the service indicator, I had to work out how many miles the car had done and how many days it had been since the last service, and use a diagnostic tool to change a couple of adaptation values in the instrument panel control unit. I bet the dealer would have just reset the service indicator had I taken the car back and complained about getting the reminder.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, just spoke to my dealer and told them the situation about the warning!

She went and spoke to a collegue and said "the car knows when it needs a service"! So it's best to get done when the 2k is up!

WTF, the service is due every 10K not when the car decides it's time!

So she says to get it done, but I'n going to wait until the 10K is up not "8 and a bit K"!

Would this effect my warranty?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like VW didnt reset the service indicator at the last service (normal failing of VW as if the service message is not on they wont bother to reset it with the diagnostic set aka VAG-COM) Best thing is to reset it your self as mentioned above and then get your service done at the 10000 miles. Or find someone nearby with VAG-COM who can reset it to the correct ammount so it will call for a sevice at the 10000 mile time

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
they would tell you to get it done at 8000, because after 5 years the

car will have had 1 extra service and the dealer will have had 1 extra load off you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hi jammy, my cars doing the same thing with the service interval fingy on the dash, my car was serviced at 64.000, and now its on 68.000 and service in 1700 miles in on at startup, according to the haynes book, the car will still adjust the service interval due to types of driving u do, town, motorway, thrashing, etc and even how many times the bonnet is opened! and of course as sum hav said already bout vw not resettin ecu etc...

·
Registered
92 Posts
The VSI programme still specifies a maximum of 30000km (18000 miles) or 24 months between services, and then only if you use longlife oil.

What the Ross Tech site doesn't tell you is that there are a couple of other adaptation channels in the instruments panel that allow you to modify distance since last service and time (in days) since last service. Of course, when I checked, they were reflected the service before the last. Once I'd set them properly to reflect the service I'd just had, the reminder disappeared.

I'll check to see which channels I changed (think they were in the low 40s) and post here, so anyone with VAG-COM can get the reminders to come on when they should.

I'm still waiting to see whether VSI will be any good for me, given the relatively small distances I have to travel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does the VSI only use distance to calculate the sevice time? I thought it took into account of 'driving style' - like how often you hit the limiter!

Mine comes on a lot sooner than I would like, but I'm out of warranty now, so I just ignore it until 10K is up...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not sure whether it takes driving style into account.

The adaptation channels that I had to change were 40 and 41 in the Instruments control unit. Unfortunately, I can't quite remember what the values mean!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts