Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows the rules and such for making your own service stamp
I am a fully qualified BMW technician and just wanted to know if I'm allowed to make my own stamp for side jobs?
Didnt know if it was ligit to do that??

Cheers. Lee

·
Registered
927 Posts
has google not been any help?

i think it may depend on what the stamp actually has on it

i dont think it's right (even morally) to have a business type stamp if its not directly connected to a business

if you carry out work on a car as a side job, what kind of legitimate warranty can you give? anyone having work done will have your stamp as proof of work carried out

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Google didn't help, I don't want it to look like a business just want it to say my name and my number
As proof a car has been serviced by someone who has the qualification to do so? I don't need to supply any kind of warranties of work
carried out unless I specify a warranty surely?

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
You can have a stamp made up by all means I would've thought. Just the same as you can fill in the service book with pen (or crayon if you're a Seat technician from what used to be Penmans in Darlo [:p] ) but it's not something that carries any weight really. What it will do is leave proof of your activity for whoever checks the service book next, and that may lead to someone checking with the tax man about where your earnings come from. It depends how much attention you want to draw to yourself.

If you declare all your earnings, have liability insurance, and are using the stamp as a means of advertising or creating a good impression for the customer then it's always a good idea. If you just want to make a few quid and keep it quiet, then I'd use a pen. Or a Crayon.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I dont think this is about the owner making money, more saving it. If ive read between the lines correctly he wants a stamp so he can maintain his golfs service history in the manual, even though hes servicing it himself. I think when it comes to selling it on people will automatically be comforted and reassured by the fact theres a stamp in the service book, not no stamp and oh I just did it myself.

Is that right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again I'm not a business, but being a qualified mechanic surely it holds alot more weight
than if someone who isn't qualified to repair cars fills out your service book? All I'm thinking Is if someone was to check my credentials they would see that I'm qualified? I'm not doing jobs for random people and posing as a business, just for friends and family?

·
Registered
488 Posts
interesting question,

I serviced mine on xmas day and fitted new intercooler seals, i've got all the invoices and i've written out the milage and date in the service book but without a stamp it doesnt look complete.

Ironicly its the only service the car has had which i 100% know has been done properly, regardless of the fact its have full VW service history until now.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
If it's not being serviced by a registered garage, then I would suggest there should not be a stamp in the book, really.

It's not knocking your skills in the least - I do all my own servicing work too and keep all supporting receipts, only I handwrite into the book to say serviced at home, see sheet in history folder...

Wigster.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Again, as far as the tax man goes if you're taking payment for doing the work, and not declaring it then you don't really want to leave a signature for someone to find. You can do if you want by all means. I'm just pointing out that the cash in your pocket is fine, but if the wheel comes off and you get caught then the consequences are a full tax investigation for the last seven years. And you don't want that, do you.

Have you considered setting up a small business and doing it legit? There's a good many ways of actually saving tax I should think, as you'll be able to claim tax back for all sorts of stuff. If you're happy in your work doing what you are with BMW at the moment, and the extra cash at weekends is nice then stay that way, but don't advertise or someone will shop you I reckon.

Ultimately, as we all know a stamp in the service book means nothing. I reckon a good few second hand cars are sold with full service history which is nothing more than some bloke had a rubber stamp made up and does the service books as the cars come in, and uses a different pen for each signature to try and hide the deceit.

I understand that it's only family and friends that you're doing the work for, but if you fall out with one of your friends because (god forbid) the sump plug falls out 10 miles after you service it then they could well just dob you in to the tax man. And the sump plug could quite well have been knocked out on a speed bump or something and not be your fault.

My advice would be either fully legit or keep it quiet. No in betweens.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I see what your saying mate, thanks for all your help people, I'll keep the stamp for my own car only, because then I haven't taken a payment on my own car! Lol
Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts