Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am trying to find a way of being alerted by phone call or text message whenever there is a problem with one of my companys Servers. We run around 16 Windows 2003 Servers with Domino 6.5.4 on them and I'm trying to find out if I can be alerted both when the Domino Server crashes or the entire Server crashes.

Has anyone done similar or can anyone point me in a direction.
I'd rather not have to buy a 3rd party application but if their is a good one out their I would consider.

Cheers.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GreenBeast,

From the Windows side I was looking at the possiblility of having the Servers checking each other if you see what I mean, and alerting me if one has dropped.

From the Domino side, I know Domino has a setting where you can specify a file which you want the Server to run in the event of the Domino Server crashing. eg a Batch file, an exe file. I was wondering if it was possible to create a file which calls my mobile when it is ran.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Give me your mobile number and pay me ?50K a year, I'll sit there and watch them and give you a bell when one goes belly up [Y][:D]

·
Registered
906 Posts
Give me your mobile number and pay me ?50K a year, I'll sit there and watch them and give you a bell when one goes belly up [Y][:D]
thats just what i was thinking but for a bit less money!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
We use WhatsUp Pro
, quite easy to setup and has a web interface which allows you to
manage remote links aswell and add custom monitors/actions. I get the
alerts straight through to my Blackberry.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi All,

I am trying to find a way of being alerted by phone call or text message whenever there is a problem with one of my companys Servers. We run around 16 Windows 2003 Servers with Domino 6.5.4 on them and I'm trying to find out if I can be alerted both when the Domino Server crashes or the entire Server crashes.

Has anyone done similar or can anyone point me in a direction.
I'd rather not have to buy a 3rd party application but if their is a good one out their I would consider.

Cheers.
There are a number of ways to do this. Also depends on what servers you are running as to what integrated software they come with. If you are using HP you can monitor the SNMP traps from a central management machine with HP Insight Manager (only needs to be a basic pc) this has the ability to email and page (there are companies on the internet who provide paging services so you have an email sent to them and they send you a txt, basiclly you just buy credits) If you really want to push the boat out then we use Orion Solar winds network monitoring which is fantastic and does everything and more.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys, I'll have a look at these, keep them coming if you think of any more. I'll let you know what I go with.

Thanks again.

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,030 Posts
I use the Orion Sollar Winds network performance monitor at work to monitor the servers, switches, routers etc. (anything with snmp traps)
I have it set to email our tech support email group as an error alert but you can set up paging direct from the application using a plug in available (at extra cost) from the manufacturer.
If you need in depth reporting and monitoring then this app is the dogs dangly bits but it is a bit on the expensive side.

Neil

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Big Brother is what you need http://www.bb4.org/
also has a nice Http interface., its free and there are plenty of freeware modules out there, such as soiftware to send SMS out via Nokia phones so you are not reliable on your net link....

If it was me I would purchase a second ADSL line or cable (whichever your company DOESNT use ATM) and put the monitoring on that line along with a gateway for maintenance, if the main line goes down... I would also set up 2 linux boxes running BB with identical configs but with failover... and with a phone on each but on different networks so monitoring is not reliant on one phone network.
All of this should be doable for less than a ?100 knowing that most IT rooms have abundabnt old PCS capable of running linux and HR have drawers full of old nokias.

It may be worth setting up to impress your boss on your ingenuity!!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If you have a spare bit of hardware, the resource kit and a few days...

Write a batch file that does a few checks like,

Ping each server in turn.
Uses netsvc to check the state of each service you want to check*.
(that sort of thing)
Then uses blat to send an email message. As mentioned, there are email to pager services out there.

If you know exactly what you need to check this can work well, and be very cheap to implement.

Another option is Microsoft Operations Manager, which is a bit of a bargain for the depth it contains.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Here's a chunk of script to get you started.

echo Fetching Service States . . .

c:\backup\servchk\netsvc.exe /query \\servername "service" > "path and filename"

echo OK.
echo.

:: Check through the service states, looking for the "stopped" text string.

echo Checking . . .
findstr /c:stopped "path and filename"
if errorlevel 1 goto <next thing tio check>
if errorlevel 0 goto <whatever action you want taken, maybe call another batch>

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers shtu,

Even some code to get me started, what a guy! [:D]

Take note people, when I ask for advice I really want someone else to do it for me and hand me it on a silver platter! [;)][:D]

Seriously though, thanks for the help, I'll have a look at some of the lower cost options and I'll post up what I went for.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Lucky for you, I've just been re-using a script I wrote years ago to check a list of services, and do a stop-start on the lot if one was down. :)

It's astounding what can be done even now with a couple of days messing about with a batch file or spot of VB, and neither is rocket science.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
We use WhatsUp Pro , quite easy to setup and has a web interface which allows you to manage remote links aswell and add custom monitors/actions. I get the alerts straight through to my Blackberry.
we use whats up gold at work, brilliant bit of kit

also, you can try shareware networkview

netiq also do similar

1 - 19 of 19 Posts