Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At around 3000rpm when the turbo kicks in, the engine just revs right up really fast but doesn't actually power the car, as if i've pushed the clutch in. Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm going to book it in at the garage but was hoping someone may know what's up with it. It's a 2000 remapped 1.8T.

Cheers

Ryan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure it must have something to do with the turbo - it drives fine (and the clutch functions fine) until you accelerate over 3000rpm, then it just revs right up by itself and doesn't pull the car. Thanks for your input btw Fli-Gti! Anyone else with an opinion of what the problem is?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm assuming whatever it is, it's not going to be a DIY job! Thanks for the replies, guys, please keep them coming!

·
Registered
10 Posts
think if a hose has come off or split you can hear a whooshing sound....if that helps

and you would lose a shed load of power if one has split/cracked or come loose

ps hose's are a diy job

·
Registered
69 Posts
What you would be experiencing is a DEAD CLUTCH!!!!!!

In 1st 2nd and 3rd it'll be ok or slip a bit then in 4th and 5th it'll just slip the clutch and rev it's tits off!!!!.
It's down to the torque reguired to drive the wheel's around.
If the turbo was faulty then it simply wouldn't fly up after 3k and struggle to get to 3k!!

Have I read correctly that your running more power than standard, if so then the clutch can't handle the power ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What you would be experiencing is a DEAD CLUTCH!!!!!!

In 1st 2nd and 3rd it'll be ok or slip a bit then in 4th and 5th it'll just slip the clutch and rev it's tits off!!!!.
It's down to the torque reguired to drive the wheel's around.
If the turbo was faulty then it simply wouldn't fly up after 3k and struggle to get to 3k!!

Have I read correctly that your running more power than standard, if so then the clutch can't handle the power ;)
Basssound, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same in every gear, gear change etc is fine but past the 3000rpm mark and it revs up and doesn't accelerate anymore! ie on the motorway i was doing roughly 80 (in 5th, obviously) and put my foot down a little more and the revs took off but didn't pull the car any faster.

I hope you're right as this seems a 'not - so - expensive' job but I'm just not sure. And yes, the cars been mapped to around 190. What do u think?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well been a mechanic and in my previouse experieces, you've certainly got a dead clutch.

I had this last week in my bog standard Golf GTI 1.8t, got the clutch too hot after 3 hours of
heavy traffic traffic, went off like a scalded cat and it went slip!!!!
I've got away with, also with the hydraulic clutches, slip is easy when the fluid boils!!!

Also this isn't a cheap reapir, bet you looking down the barrel of ?500 - ?600!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What just for a new clutch? omg! i hate cars sometimes! so after all I've described would you say this was almost certainly the problem. The only reason I'm not so convinced is because I was driving it quite hard the other day and when it hit 5k it just didn't rev anymore - the rev counter was stuck on 5k and the car didn't accererate further

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone else who thinks will be the clutch? Or perhaps you've experienced the same problem and may be able to advise me?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Well been a mechanic and in my previouse experieces, you've certainly got a dead clutch.

I had this last week in my bog standard Golf GTI 1.8t, got the clutch too hot after 3 hours of
heavy traffic traffic, went off like a scalded cat and it went slip!!!!
I've got away with, also with the hydraulic clutches, slip is easy when the fluid boils!!!

Also this isn't a cheap reapir, bet you looking down the barrel of ?500 - ?600!!!
omg, I was quoted ?900-1000 for a new clutch + dual mass fly wheel, fitted on my R32.

just the dual mass flywheel is ?450+vat!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
LOL [:cool:]

Its the clutch, As the torque starts to peak the
clutch starts to slip, keep the car off boost and build up the power
slowly and it will be fine, If you try and load it up too fast i.e
accelrating in 5th on the motorway it will slip. (if its dead)

Needs swapping out, Would have thought it would be ?300 or so at Mr clutch or similar.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL [:cool:]

Its the clutch, As the torque starts to peak the clutch starts to slip, keep the car off boost and build up the power slowly and it will be fine, If you try and load it up too fast i.e accelrating in 5th on the motorway it will slip. (if its dead)

Needs swapping out, Would have thought it would be ?300 or so at Mr clutch or similar.
Hi there, I've found this sports clutch on ebay, what's your opinion of it? Will this have everything I need for a replacement & (hopefully [:D]) solve the problem? Not too clued up on the clutch scene...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Usually you will get a kit.

i.e the clutch plate itself, Pressure plate and a clutch release bearing.

If your only runing 190bhp cant you just fit a clutch from a 180 turbo golf? Some of the sports clutches are good but the actuation is really heavy.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
180 turbo's use the 6 speed o2m gearbox rather than 5 spd 02j gear box, you could fit a sinle mass flywheel from the likes of jbs etc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts