Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after some advice to what happened on the way home from tesco earlier today. jumped in the car after shopping, drove out the car pak and stopped at the roundabout. went to pull off and the car didnt pick up at all and juddered off, thought i was in 3rd but turns out i was on 1st. changed up into 2nd and the judgering contuined and also in 3rd, 4th and 5th. the harder i pushed down the accelerator the harder the whole car schook so i ended up free wheeling home most the way in neutral.

the twist is when no one was around i dipped the clutch and reved it upto 5k and then put it in gear and drove off fine, there was no judgering and car pulled as it used to. makes me thing there was maybe a block in the fuel line? any comments appreciated what would cose this or sounds like to anyone

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hhhmmm its starting to bug me, since getting home i parked up for a few hours. drove a couple of miles down the road and alls fine untill it started spluttering again, shown this to my dad and he seems to think its misfireing. changed all the spark plugs, topped up the oil and its still doing it. any idea of what it might be?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
hmmm, is this only occurring when the car is warm? If so, it could be the temp sender. Otherwise it could be an issue with the coil packs, or something ive read on another thread regarding the ignition. Hopegully someone else can expand on that or offer some better advice. [:$]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think its when its warm it only does it, il try running it to work tomorrow and see how it goes, the car is comming upto 70k and everything under the bonnet is standard and probably original (apart from the revo) thinking of getting vag com on to do a fault code test. just hope it isnt expensive :eek:(

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
getting it scanned first would be your best bet! [Y]

Although, if the problem is only occurring when the car is warm, it could be down to the temp sender. They are only around £25 from the stealers, which is not breaking the bank, and literally takes 5 minutes to replace! Check it out tomorrow and see how it goes. Hopefully aint nothing major! *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where is the temp sensor? is it in the pipe comming off the air box? its just wierd how it started all of a sudden and out of the blue

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the top link, will check it out tomrrow when its a bit lighter outside. hopefully it will be just this sensor, will let you all know what the vag com comes up with.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just been for a half an hour run and it still juders from cold and when warm, serious lack of power and i think its misfiring but aint sure because it started when driving all of a sudden which makes me wonder how and why this has happened

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
My car was doing the same thing a while ago, misfiring, would only get up to 4.5/5k struggle then eventually go up the revs.

I had the coilpacks and sparkplugs changed and it sorted it out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it gets worse!

my friend done a vag com scan on the car today and the only faults it found was the central locking (it always finds that) and the air flow sensor. after buying a new coil from euro car parts i replaced this and the same faul is still there. then when the engine was running i uncliped each coil in turn and three made a difference, kinda like a little drop in revs. but cylinder 1 (looking down on the engine, left hand side) didnt make any difference. so changed the coils around with the new one and still nothing would work on cylinder one.

its either not getting petrol to that cylinder or an electrical fault isnt getting power to that coil. im not sure which route to go down but its defo not a coil and it is missfireing after a few people said the same thing. red a previous post it sounds like the ignition amp, does this sound like the cause to anyone else? if so where is it on the car??

im open to ideas please as i have been running around on 3 clyinders :eek:(

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
finally a result.

the judgering was a misfire which was caused by a faulty ignition amp. replaced this (5minute job) and works fine

cheers for your advice

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
How much was the ignition amp? When you drove the car, did it feel like it was misfiring under 2k revs, but was ok anything over that? [:$]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the ignition amp was £90 from euro car parts. it was misfireing on tick over and when in gear it was ruff but even rougher the hard the accelarator was pressed. had to give it some juice but did race an astra van on three cylinders pulling onto the by pass and still had enough beans to beat him [;)]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts