Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 door MKIV GTi 1.8T 180PS in diamond black which will be three years old in November (52 reg) and has done 30,000 miles. I have a MKV GTi on order from my local dealer and am trying to sell my MKIV privately. It is currently on the Autotrader website for ?9750 ono which seems to be a pretty competetive price.

The dealer has offered me the fallback of being able to trade my car in for an agreed price of ?8500 if I can't sell it. This seems like a complete rip off to me, and yet as time goes on it's looking more likely that I may have to take it.

Is the market slow or am I just not having any luck? I have probably got another 3 weeks or so to sell it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did have it on ths site but it got taken off as I don't have enough posts to advertise yet. I'm working on that one. I've tried the clubgti.com site but you have to be a paid up member to post an advert. What other sites are worth trying do you think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
there are a few i know im looking for 1 but unfortuantely yours is out of my price range!!!!

Have you looked at Pistonheads ( i believe thats free) possibly Turbosport (more fords but worth a try) just search google for golf sites most have a section for classifieds!!!!

Volkswagen Golf Hatchback
1.8 T GTi (180ps) 3d 2002/52
Insurance Group 16 (get a quote)
Average mileage: 30,000 miles
Cost New ('02) ? 17535
Franchised Dealer ? 10500
Independent Dealer ? 9970
Private Good ? 9345
Private Poor ? 7655
Part Exchange ? 8365

Judging from the Parkers site you should be looking to get about ?9345 for a private sale assuming its in good condition!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sounds a nice car; interesting that Parkers price for same age 150TDI is ?10605. I think the hype around the MKV GTI is pushing down prices for 1.8T MkIV, I've noticed GTI/180s have dropped alot at dealers since I was last looking at petrol GTIs back in Dec/Jan.  

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The diesel variants do seem to hold their value a lot better than their petrol counterparts. I guess it's all down to personal preference in the end. Not sure about the MKV affecting MKIV GTI used values - I've seen a few locally the same age as mine in the 11-12K range on dealers forecourts. 

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Matt, I've got a 2000 GTI Turbo with 17000 miles that is proving harder to sell than I expected as well. People do seem to have forgotten how good the mkIV is now the mkV is getting such good reviews. Whenever I mention my one being up for sale, everyone starts going on about the mkV.

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dan,

I guess there must be someone out there looking for a MKIV GTI who would jump at the chance to get their hands on a good one. I've had a few e-mails since I put mine on this site but nobody has been to see it yet. I suppose things can change quickly, so I'm going to remain hopeful!!

What are you going to get next?

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a year old BMW 3-series compact that's got 6k on the clock which I'm really happy with. I'm up for changing it for a 3-series coupe when the new one comes out. I've been really tempted by a mkV GTI myself, but the price of the options has put me off. By the time you've added the DSG box everyone's raving about, & 18" wheels, & 6 disc, & cruise, & leather etc, etc the price is over ?25k! Lovely car though. Only other thing I wasn't sure about on the new Golf was the colours. What colour have you gone for Matt?

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Golfs have always looked good in black. When I was thinking of getting a mkV, Euroimports only had met black ones coming in. I thought Laser Blue would be nice, but when I saw one at a dealer I was a bit disappointed, didn't look as nice as I thought it would. They look pretty good in white, but I think buying one could be residual suicide! A guy emailed me about buying my mkIV at the weekend, saying he was looking for a black one but if I dropped the price on mine to low enough he "might be swayed". Cheek! I could email him back your car's details if you like (although he sounds like he might be a bit of a chancer!).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always think that any German car looks good in black. A guy I know has a black M3 convertible which looks the business imo. I've seen pictures of the new MKV in white and though it looks good I think you're right about the residual value. I guess it's all down to personal taste in the end.

Feel free to e-mail the details of my car to this guy if that's ok with you. I have a bit of scope for negotiation!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've emailed that bloke the details of your car Matt. His name is Des Green so with any luck he will give you a ring.

I've posted my car on the classifieds on this site, but I've had trouble uploading a photo as the file size is too big. I'll get there in the end!

Post a pic of your new one when you get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.