Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im selling my car in the near future, its a Y reg 90bhp black 5 door with just under 140k on the clock. The exterior is in great condition for its age, also the front and rear bumpers have been resprayed (due to the previous lady owner scuffing them on the edges) plus the front near side wing has been repaired and sprayed due to the common rust problem and lastly the offside quater has also reparied and sprayed (due to the previous owner dinting it!). Im a keen detailer too so its washed each week religiously and has been clayed once, buffed once and waxed numerous times. The interior isnt too bad either considering the age and mileage. There are no rips or tears and the rear and passenger seats look like brand new. Its obvious the previous owners didnt have kids.

Since owning the car from October 2009 iv fitted coilovers and had the 18" rs4 reps (which come on the car) refurbed in gun metal. Iv also painted my f+r badges black and aero wipers fitted f+r too. During this time iv also bought some colourcoded rear strips and door strips, although the sides have since been carbon wrapped to a high standard. The only mods i have done to the interior are carbon wrapping the centre console and non textured gear surround, door handles, rear view mirror and rear ashtray,again to a high standard plus iv also scotch padded by door triggers to look r32's.

So basically my plan to sell was to sell the car as standard sort of. So re-fitting the standard suspension, remove all the carbon wrap from door rubstrips, and buy new chrome badges f+r. In doing this i assume it wll sell for a higher price?? compared to what i would get price wise in the modified state lowered on coilovers (with the idea that with cosmetic mods only it hasent been ragged - not that is has, but thats how buyers will see it) However is it worth it, is there much differance in the selling price for a standard golf and slightly, tastefully modified version??

Opinions please.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think you're keeping your potential market bigger the closer to standard your car is. So the price it might fetch isn't really the factor - more that some people might shy away from even ringing up to view a car because it's been modified.

I don't see that the mods would make a massive difference to the value of the car as they're not that extensive. The wheels are OEM looking, and you could raise up the coilies to make it look and feel a little less 'hardcore'. You could put the stock springs and shocks back on if you think the coilies are any good and worth selling on, same goes for the wheels. But I don't think value is the main variable with or without mods, like I said.

If it was me I'd get it back to stock. You'll never recoup what you paid on the mods if you sell them on the car, and more people want standard cars than anything that's been 'messed with'.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats some helpful feedback mate, an quick too haha. As you mention the closer to standard it is the easier it will be to sell due to it appealing to a broader market.

Any ideas on what i should be asking for it? i was thinking just under £2000. I bought it for £1800 but the bodywork and wheels were in terrible condition, along with a few other minor faults such as a temp gauge not working.

In terms of maintenance since its been in my posession its had:

Front Pads and discs / offside wheel bearings / alternator / battery / track rods / front wishbones / tie rods / driveshafts / temp gauge / Diagnostic tested x2 / full service in september / and bodywork. It owes my close to a £1000! i thought id found a bargian at the time...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Wouldn't want to guess at what it's worth mate, it was over 2 years ago when I was in the market for a mk4, and haven't kept an eye on what they fetch since then. Hopefully somebody with a bit more know could give you a fair idea what to ask for it.

Sounds like you've kept it healthy. If it's all in good fettle and priced right it should sell quickly. Unfortunately you won't get that grand back along with the value of the car...!

I've spent a silly amount on getting mine running right, and that's apart from money I've spent on modifying it. So mine owes me a good few years of low-hassle motoring before I sell up! I think I want to get as much out of it time-wise as I've put in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok fair point. Iv got a fairly good price bracket to aim at for sellin anyway. Cheers for the help much appreciated. Now one last question... do you know were i can get cheap insurance? Im only 18 with a year and a halfs driving under my belt with no accidents or any claims, Im currently on my mums policy on the golf as a named driver supposedly earning no claims. On the other hand my twin brother has crashed his car 3 times (a 1.4 petrol golf thats since been sold haha) ! an hes not even been driving a year! [facepalm] We plan on sharing a Mk5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.