Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Not normal, it only gets like that if the previous owner didn't do regular oil changes... get an engine flush, chuck it in the oil fill and follow the instructions on the can/bottle.... than drain the lot and put in cheap oil run it for a few weeks and replace it with good oil... you will notice the difference soon enough.

Not only will it look cleaner down the filler the engine will run smoother/quieter and will respond better to the gaspedal.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it is because previous owner. Because I change oil once a year and my yearly mileage isn't high.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Dude I don't drive that much anymore and I replace oil twice a year... and with every 2nd replacement it gets an oil flush... Needless to say my engine is clean on the inside, and that is with the egr still active.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Be careful with engine flushes/rinsing oils...
and why is that? the engines aren't like they were in the 70-ties or 80-ties for that matter meaning not one of the engines nowadays has a problem with the flushing oils you can get over the counter at car-parts stores.. they won't destroy seals, they'll just break down sludge, and caked on oil deposits. And no they won't block the oil passages(channels) as they aren't the gritty type.. so they won't do any harm. But if there are underlying problems (such as to much space between the pistons and the piston rings) you'll notice that soon after you've done the engine flush... and the best solution is to address the problem instead of chucking in a thicker oil.

with otherwords, the engine flushes are save but if there are engine problems it might highlight it, but 9 out of 10 times nothing weird happens, and this here is the reason why i flush my engine yearly... as i found out that the cleaner the engine and oil are, the better it runs.

·
Registered
2002 Golf S 1.6/16v BCB
72 Posts
Dude I don't drive that much anymore and I replace.oil twice a year... and with every 2nd replacement it gets an oil flush... Needless to say my engine is clean on the inside, and that is with the egr still active.
And probably perfectly fine on a car that's used to being treated in such a way buddy but on a higher mileage car that's probably never seen an engine flush in 15/20yrs, I'd be very wary !...

I've known folk to run a rinsing oil through their motor in an attempt to clear out the oil ports when they're clogged with condensated oil only for the arse end to drop out of the motor 3 months down the line...

Things may be different these days what with modern technology/chemicals n'all that but from experience it's not something I'd be doing to an older/higher mileage motor...

Revising the intervals between oil changes would be a far more desirable and less risk'e method... 👍

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Nah not anymore actually was the same like you now I don't care if I get a car to sortout and the engine looks like that the owner gets told it will be flushed and he'll have to change his oil soon afterwards again...

My neighbour bought an astra '02 wirh a 1.4 16 valve petrol it felt quick to him, I drove it and although it was kinda quick I noticed it wasn't the same as I remembered them...

I did a big service on his car and flushed the engine. Put in the right oil and the thing is a lot more aggressive than it was before, it actually is a car that can spin the wheels in the first 3 gears now. Before that it was only in the first gear. Also I did this months ago and he still can't stop talking about how much faster the car is now.

So yeah next time you do an oil change, try it you will be surprised if you have to deal with a car that was unloved and had to work with treacle instead of oil.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My engine have 240.000 km mileage. During last oil change i used flush. I also using 5w40 full synyhetic oil + ceratec. I will try to flush engine once again and change oile two times after few days. This photo below was send by my friend. He's engine is very clean compared to mine. Maybe during timing belt replace I will disassembly upper part of the motor and clean it manually.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Tire Bumper

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Dude do a flush run the car for a month or so and than replace both oil and oil filter again.. 2 days is just a complete and utter waste of that oil... be a cheap oil or not. It also gives the oil a chance to remove those deposits as one of the functions of oil is to clean the engine internals.

Unless you want to take the engine apart and clean it by hand, but that is a lot of work.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Nah mate I've done a few cars now that looked red on the inside... 2 flushes and they now look fine... but yeah that cover on the engine is making it look worse than it might be... maybe he should take it off and clean it by hand after he has done a flush and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference down that filler and that cover... the golf mk1 1.8gti 8 valve engines used to have the same cover under the filler, always thought it was a bit of a weird design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts