Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my company has hired me loads of cars from EuropCar. I have had a Seat Ibiza 1.4, Seat Altea 1.6 and a Skoda Fabia 1.4.

One of them was brilliant fun and a joy to drive and it was NOT from Spain.

I known the Seats may have been trashed but all 3 cars had nearly the same mileage. That Altea squeeked and rattled like a S.O.B. and handled badly.

The Fabia beat the Ibiza in every department especially driving dynamics

I nearly bought an Altea 140 ps TDi last september GOD I am glad I bought the Golf now.

I know I will get lots of comeback on this but that what I think[!]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The R32 which is the top Golf in MKIV guise anyway has seat issues with leather and the quality...

My GTI seat squeaked like mad and I only had it until 15K miles.

Guess it just depends!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The build quality on the Ibiza that i had for a courtesy car was awful... rattled, shockingly plain and grey, and just a general feeling of cheapness to it.

But, the Leon is a different kettle of fish altogether... i can only comment on the Cupra and the R, as thats all i've driven, but the build quality is much much higher than in the lower end Seats. I've had my own fair share of niggles since i got the car (no less than 10 in 3 months!), but i can't understand some comments that say it's massively below the MK4 Golf, and that's not because i own one, i thought that before i even bought one whilst i had a GTI!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I rang VAG customer service about this and a representative there called Cybil said "I'm sorry, they're from Barcelona...!?"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by simch on 13/02/2005 17:02:38

I rang VAG customer service about this and a representative there called Cybil said "I'm sorry, they're from Barcelona...!?"

Que?

·
Registered
737 Posts
My experience of Seats supports the poor quality theory too. Ibiza Cupra; the brand new car that I drove had several rattles. Every Leon(about 5) I've driven have all had rattles and the interior trim quality is inferior to MKIV Golf/Bora. A mate runs an 03 LCR; great car performance-wise but the build quality seems no better than a Focus. The seats rattle, the trim rattles, the dashboard rattles; get the picture..?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a year old Ibiza that caused no end of problems, engine was great, but electrics were a nightmare, I had about 9 visits to the dealer in the space of 10 months and neither the dealer nor Seat gave a chocolate banana about my complaints....I decided enough was enough and traded it in for a Rover 25....and it was just as bad after 2 years it's got more rattles than Mothercare...it's now being p/x for the golf.

Reason I've gone for a VW is that I keep hearing how solid and reliable they are, but seems that not everyone is convinced that VW are keeping up the high standards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My SEAT Leon is solid as a rock. The build quality is far superior to my golf V5. Its faster, better equiped and cheaper. I had the Ibiza Cupra before I got my golf. I had a MAF and a coil pack problem and that was it. No rattles, no squeeks, nothing wrong with it at all. After owning the golf for 5 months I went back to SEAT as to me they just seem better.

Maybe I had a "bad" golf and have been lucky with the SEAT's.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The R32 which is the top Golf in MKIV guise anyway has seat issues with leather and the quality...

My GTI seat squeaked like mad and I only had it until 15K miles.

Guess it just depends!

[:D] [:D] [:D]

Irish did you mis-read the post, I think its about the brand 'SEAT' rather than where you plonk your behind 'A seat' [:I]

LOL [:D] quality indeed [;)]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
...........hahaahaha missed that!! Are you in the company of an Englishman and a Scotsman, you stereotype you, Irish!![;)][;)] Brilliant!! [:D][}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
338 Posts
I must admit a mate of mine had a SEAT Ibiza Cupra. And had lots of problems with it.

I had a Vauxhall Vectra(don't say a word) at the time on approx same miles, (about 15k) and i can honestly say the Vectra didn't rattle nearly as much as his Ibiza, there were a few bits of trim fallen off, seat, seatbelt cover etc, and the little drawer on the dash wouldn't stay shut.

Also the paint finish was dreadful, and he had a few engine probs aswell.

Could have been a friday afternoon car though.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by unikarl on 13/02/2005 19:16:30

My SEAT Leon is solid as a rock. The build quality is far superior to my golf V5. Its faster, better equiped and cheaper. I had the Ibiza Cupra before I got my golf. I had a MAF and a coil pack problem and that was it. No rattles, no squeeks, nothing wrong with it at all. After owning the golf for 5 months I went back to SEAT as to me they just seem better.

Maybe I had a "bad" golf and have been lucky with the SEAT's.

Gotta agree mate. Whilst im having my niggles with the Leon, most are problems also related to the Golf. People have to remember that the Leon Cupra is a ?15k car, whilst the GTI i had previously was ?17.5k over 5yrs ago. The Leon is quicker, more refined, better brakes, full bodykit, bigger alloys, better looks, and handles umpteen times better... do people expect the very same level of build quality with all those extras for less money, seriously?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Englishman, scotsman and an irishman walk into a garage, the englishman says "I am taking the Audi" pays for it, hops into it and drives off. The scotsman says "Im buying the VW" pays for it, hops in it and drives of. The irishman says Im buying the SEAT, pays for it, picks up the couch and walks off!!!!!!!!!!!

Quality new joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[:I]I think a few people have got the wrong end of the stick with this topic I am not saying do you expect Seat to have Audi/VW build for the money.

When I bought my Golf GT Tdi as opposed to a Audi A3 with similar powertrain it was clear that the Audi was much better screwed together with better quality materials BUT I choose the Golf as it was 5 doors , drive better and was a dam site cheaper.

What I am saying is compare SEAT AND SKODA FOR THE MONEY[8)]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gotta say on a general point though - hire cars are not good to judge a model/maker buy unless they are absolutely brand new. Most people really give hire cars stick and they get very little TLC.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've had four SEATs and none of them gave any problem at all. No rattles, nothing.

I have now moved back to VWs for a change of scenery and I now have flaky interior handles and squeaks and rattles again just like in my previous VWs. Quite happy with my Golf overall but not any better quality than any of my SEATs.

May try a Skoda next time....!

Cue Skoda jokes....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts