Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toying with the idea of a Seat Toledo instead of another mk4 Golf, as funds are a little limited at the mo.

Anyone had any experiences of them. The write ups seem good, and it seems alot of decent car for not alot of money.

Only thing that concerns me is trying to sell one when the time came?

Any thoughts? (BTW I am refering to the one just before the brand new shape, ie 1998 onwards)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had a 1999 V5 - black with beige interior

Really nice cars and very very cheap now - and I think they look good as well.

I never had any problems with mine and would definitely recommend you have a look at one!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything seems to be in favour. Seat badge, VAG build, cheap, reliable, well built, newish, well specced etc.

Only thing that concerns me is a poor demand when it comes to selling it? I don't want a car that is going to be a pig to sell (I dont plan to keep it for more than 6-9 months as usual)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also drive a seat Toledo V5.

Its an awesome car, has a great spec, lovely soundign engine and goes like a stabbed rat if you push it!

The resale value isnt an issue for me as I intend to keep it for some time. I do however think that you will struggle to sell it on unless you sell it within the motoring community. A big engined small saloon is a funny car to sell as families wont buy one and not many boy racers would have one.

Mart

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, definately in for a shout.

I'll get the house purchase out the way and my shit sorted then time for a serious think...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Sorry - Just saw this just now.

I have the 20VT Sport model and last November when it was under 1.5 years old with 11k on the clock and FSH and remainder of warranty, good nick etc etc, I paid £6,400 for it in a private sale.

It is exactly like the Leon Cupra, which means it shares all the same mechanical parts as the Golf GTi 1.8T 180bhp. The differences are interior, body shell and not much else. Almost as nice inside as a Golf mk4 and the only real let down is no VW blue dashboard in all honesty. Switches, handles etc are all the same.

The other models are also well priced, but the pick of the bunch would be the 150PD in my opinion. A quick look on autotrader finds a 2004 150PD for £7k odd.

I am unsure how things will fair on the resale front, but you are buying it cheaper for a reason. The car is no different or lesser than a Golf, and people know this, so as long as the price is right for the buyer when you sell it, I am sure it will go with no problem.

Just remember that for £5k you would get a very early 1998/99 Golf 1.8T GTi with mega miles and loads of owners. You could on the other hand get a 2003 1.8T Toledo with the AUQ 180bhp engine and 6 speed box, 312mm brakes, 4 airbags, cd player, climate, remote locking etc just out of warranty with less than 30k miles. I have had no problems with mine other than a bust radiator which was not the cars fault and a OEM DV (prone to failure on 1.8T engines) and the temp sensor on the left side of the engine £30.

I think you would sell a 3/4 year old car with low miles a lot more easily than a mega-mile 1.8T Golf.

My car has 243bhp and I know someone who would buy it off me if I was to sell it as they can see past the badge and the saloon car image. It can see off R32's in a straight line and has been pretty reliable and faultless.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys

Well, I am seriously having a think.

TBH, I am really looking about £3k tops at the mo, as I have just bought a house. It seems 3k will still buy me a sensible mile well specced one in good nick on a 99/00 plate. This does however rule out a later 1.8T or a TDi. Only reason I am looking at another V5 is you seem to get the spec with them and they are, like V5 Golfs it seems, a good model to buy in terms of VFM. I was also looking at maybe a 20v non turbo, as performance isnt a great concern at the mo, just a nice comfy well built reliable ride, newish ride. Insurance isnt a concern anymore, neither are running costs as I do less than 100 miles a week and work at a dealer who can service/fix the car at trade prices.

I am keeping an eye out, I am in no rush as I have wheels so if the right car comes about locally...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
As Chris said, stay away from the Stealers when buying as the mark up seems to be more than other main stealers.

Only my opinion, but the 20v non-turbo engine is not that great as it is neither punchy (powerful) or great on fuel.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont worry, I always stay away from the stealers (except for about 50 hours a week when they pay my wages...)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Definately go for the V5 and not the standard 20v lump.

With the V5 you will get Half/Full leather, electric seats, multi changer, rear blind (maybe) maybe even sat nav. Loads of extras on the V5. With the standard 1.8 20v lump, you'll get a basic car that does the same mpg without any of the extras and extra oomph!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking the V5, purely to get the spec. I did like the oomph of my old Golf V5.

Is the MPG really that similar?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts