Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only realised this morning that the humble Seat Toledo (booted version of the Leon) was made in 150PD TDi guise and that year old examples on 54 plates can be had for around ?10,000 with next to no miles on them.

For that engine, I reckon ?10k is a bargain, and would consider the Toledo as it looks a lot better than the Bora (IMO) but am worried about depreciation.

Opinions?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just can't help thinking the inital price is a good one. The Leon in Cupra/FR 150PD guise is still commanding approx ?12-13k for the same age/mileage of car.

If I kept the car for 3 years and sold it for ?4,000 at that point, that would only be a loss of ?2,000 a year which is no more than say a GT TDi 140 mk5 would lose.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Lovely cars - I had a V5 in metallic black

Depreciation may be a slight issue as people tend not to like them for some strange reason

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt it would be much worse than an equivalent value Bora as they are already out of warranty.

Have seen a Burgundy one real cheap, but guess it is that way because of the colour.....

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think you're right, i very much doubt they'll lose more than a Bora. Some Bora's, notably the V6's lost a shocking amount of money.

Nice cars, obviously i prefer the Leon, but you're right about prices... the Leon Cupra TDI's dont 'alf hang onto their value, much more than the 20VT.

I would also guess they are more generously specced than the Leon too, as the Bora was than the Golf?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found a car even better value than the 150PD now.

Get this - 1.8T 180bhp 6 speed Toledo on an 04 plate with 11,000 miles - Sport Model and all the bits and bobs that go with it. FSH, balance of warranty - ?6,500

Absolute bargain. The Saloon body is fine too as I can keep loads of stuff in it out of sight. The car was approx ?15k new and even if I only get ?2k in 3 years time, it will only lose ?4k. With my employer paying for my fuel to it makes sense and the bike stays!

Organising inspection as we speak.

REVO or equivalent thereafter. Absolute sleeper at the lights too [;)]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have found a car even better value than the 150PD now.

Get this - 1.8T 180bhp 6 speed Toledo on an 04 plate with 11,000
miles - Sport Model and all the bits and bobs that go with it. FSH,
balance of warranty - ?6,500

Absolute bargain. The Saloon body is fine too as I can keep loads of
stuff in it out of sight. The car was approx ?15k new and even if I
only get ?2k in 3 years time, it will only lose ?4k. With my
employer paying for my fuel to it makes sense and the bike stays!

Organising inspection as we speak.

REVO or equivalent thereafter. Absolute sleeper at the lights too [;)]
So basically its a low miles '04 Octavia vRS for ?6.5k

Christ on a bike!!!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Bloody hell!

Thats unreal..... an equivalent Leon would cost you around ?12k!!!

Bargain, im not suprised your interested!

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
There are some really good prices there.

Can I ask where you are looking?

Oh by the way the PD 150 and the 180bhp 1.8T are really good with the remaps.

www.custom-code.co.uk will show you.

My son looking for a Mk4 at the moment.

Would much prefer him to go for the Skoda but at least it was better than the Nissan he was going to go for.

Sarah

·
Registered
639 Posts
Glad I saw this thread. They are REALLY good value, as someone said its just a Leon with a boot, better looking than a Bora with better equipment per pound.

I'd be tempted to go for the PD150. Definately going to look into these! The reviews all seem to say that the only drawback is the depreciation. I can live with that :)

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
If you get them really cheap to start with then it does not matter if they are not worth much at the end of the era with the Toledo.

We have had a Really nice one in not that long ago in red.

With the money he saved he had a good polish and Custom-Code.

He could not be happier.

Good choice ,, very wise.

Sarah

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are some really good prices there.

Can I ask where you are looking?

Oh by the way the PD 150 and the 180bhp 1.8T are really good with the remaps.

www.custom-code.co.uk will show you.

My son looking for a Mk4 at the moment.

Would much prefer him to go for the Skoda but at least it was better than the Nissan he was going to go for.

Sarah
It is a private sale from a lad in Bournemouth who is splitting up with his wife and they need to sell the car. No HPI or noted accidents other than a self confessed small scuff in a car park which was repaired and the receipt is available to proove.

The RAC lad reckons the car is as sweet as a nut with the exception of a few small chips on the bonnet and small scratch on the front left wing and a small chip on the back left door and a small dent on the rear right wing. The drivers door was painted and finished nicely although the colour match is not 100%. Iguess under a light at night you could see it - the biggest problem with bright red cars!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, got the car home. Mine for ?6,400.

Drove to Prestwick on Saturday morning from Fraserburgh on Saturday, 7am, got the Ryanair flight to Bournemouth and the lad met me and my bro at the airport and took me to his house in Christchurch. Checked the car, engine, chassis numbers etc, confirmed insurance then drove all the way back to Prestwick so my bro could get his car, then headed back to Fraserburgh. Almost 700 miles in around 11 hours.

The car showed 39mpg on the computer on the way up the road but I measured 36.6mpg at the pumps. Averaged 70mph including stopping for fuel food etc.

First impresssion of the car was better than I thought from the picture and it was cleaned especially. Throttle response is very good and a lot of turbo torque comes with very little pedal movement. Comfort is great and the dash is good too. The throttle was only touched most of the way up the road and when needed, 6th gear provided adequate accelaration making 5th gear not really that important!

The car has the same AUQ engine as the Leon Cupra and as far as I see is much the same spec throughout. It does not have the multidisc CD the Cupra has, nor the cruise control the Toledo SE does. Neither does it have lumbar adjustment on the seats, lights on the sunvisors (unlike a Golf) and the dash is red rather than blue which while being different is not as nice in my book.

The handling is however better than a Golf's although the ride is also a little harsher, but I don't mind that to be honest.

I am hoping to give the car a little boost in the future in the way or a remap etc and have removed the 20VT badge from the bootlid as it does not look like a car with 180bhp which makes traffic lights fun (tested tonight [:D])

I would recommend one if someone is looking for an A4/Bora/Octavia. A lot of (newish) car for 3 year old Focus money.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Big Hmmmm's from me. An 04 plate for ?6400?

Did you pay cash? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but why was it not snapped up before hand. Even a dealer would have given him a LOT more money for it.

If you have a genuine true bargain, well done, but I would be careful mate. Theres plenty of cut & shuts around etc etc and I have ben caught out myself, only difference was, mine was a 1k fiesta, had to scrap it 6 months later.

If it is a bargain, howcome you seem to get all the bargains!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup - Paid cash. The book price for the car I bought was ?6,435. The only faults were listed above which were;

1. Drivers door re-painted due to car park scratch

2. 3 tiny chips on bonnet

3. One smal scratch on the front wing

4. One small chip on the rear left door.

5. Tiny (and i mean tiny) car park ding (not sharp so will repair) on back right wing

The RAC did a full inspection and those were the only faults. The car is sound, no HPI no insurance claims no accidental damage, not 2 cars cut and shut into one etc etc. All numbers tie up (engine and chassis) and I signed the deal at the lads house.

I get bargains because I am smart! Not many people on this forum would consider a Seat never mind a Toledo. I bet I would be lucky to get a 5 year old GTi 1.8T Golf for that cash.

For sure, the depreciation will be worse, but even if I get ?2k back after 3 years, I will only loose ?4k on the car.

[:D]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts