Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fo you guys think of these? Are they prone to the Coil pack failures, what about the current fan problems??

Is the build quaility close to vw?

Your thoughts.............

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'd say these motors were spot on mate, with no difference in quality compared to VW whatsoever. I had one for a very short time before it was half inched from outside my house (and i don't think it could've been much more secure!), so i'd say be careful of getting one if you're not able to garage - having said that it they want it they'll still get it! therefore unable to advise on whether there were any problems with it, all i can say was they're class and very rapid!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Few niggles, like most MK4 based cars. Notably the rear caliper carriers going 'pink'.. i.e. the red paint fading. One or two issues surrounding top mounts on the rear suspension creaking when wet. Coil packs do hit them, but apparantly only the early ones (earliest on a 52 plate).

Great cars, but do stand out, quite aggressive styling. One of the best 'out of the box' hatches the VAG group have come up with.. and can be purchased for good money now, making them incredible bargains. Seen a 52 plate with 32k on it last week for ?9500.

Changed from 210 to 225hp in late 2004, although performance differences are negligable, but with the newer model you get a thicker red trimmed steering wheel akin to the R32.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I know a guy who recently sold a Platinum Grey 03 reg 210bhp car with only 20K for ?9500...I thought it was a bargain at the time. I was very tempted but went for another Golf instead.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just priced up front disc for the 225hp one, 125 from the dealers. 4 pads per side! So not bad when i see them for 40 a box on the shelf at work. (needing 2 boxes of course, 1 per axel)

Does any one know if the Cupra R 225 had the option for leather, sat nav and xenons??

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Just priced up front disc for the 225hp one, 125 from the dealers. 4 pads per side! So not bad when i see them for 40 a box on the shelf at work. (needing 2 boxes of course, 1 per axel)

Does any one know if the Cupra R 225 had the option for leather, sat nav and xenons??
Sat Nav yes, Leather and Xenons no.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I'd say these motors were spot on mate, with no difference in quality compared to VW whatsoever.
I contemplated getting one of these to replace my R32 as I wanted to free up some money for an investment I was considering.

They are decent cars but they are no where near as good build wise as
the mkIv golf. I test drove both the Cupra and Cupra R models and
they both rattled - these where brand new cars. But I did also
drive an 18month old Cupra R with 25K on the clock and it didn't rattle
or squeak any worse than the new ones.

Value for money they are up there!

J.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Id have to agree superb cars but the build quality is nowhere near as good as the VW Golf...fading paint....chips easily on the front nose, doesn't feel as solid or well built as the Golf to drive

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Its all subjective - i had more niggles with the two MK4 Golfs i had (1.6, 1.8T) than ive had in 18 months with my Leon.

Paint fading or chipping?? Well, if we're comparing it to the Golf that would be rather rich, i've never known a car chip so badly on the bonnet and bumper as the MK4 Golf.

The Cupra is considerably sportier to drive and feels more planted than the Anniversary, essentially its sister. The Cupra R is only topped in the entire VAG MK4 stable by the 4wd R32, it handles better than most of the MK4's ive been in with modified suspension, although it will still be shown a clean set of heels by cars with a better setup, i.e. ones without a chassis made of cheese!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt want to start a debate about which has a better build quality. I will probably be looking to get A cupra R in the future. I dont think i will buy another VW, mainly because of the customer service most ppl are getting, nearly as bad as the Halifax! and pathetic is a complement for the halifax. Also i know the service ppl down at Vw Durham and they dont trust VW's, so theres a problem there LOL.

I would'nt buy - french cause there really crap cars, Sewdish is more expensive than Merc, Bmw's are just 2 expensive (and i really dont like the way you have to buy a brake wear indicator every time you buy pads), and mercs are just for ppl who have small D**ks. So i thought i would go for A Seat.

Dont get me wrong i like my Bora, now its on proper suspension! I have never had a problem with it and its done 149K. Its cheap to run and parts are cheap. The Mk5 golf did cross my mind but the plastic dash board sent alarm bells ringing.

Audi - may have a look at them, but they dont do a four door with 225 bhp thats pretty cheap to run.

Thoughs ppl?? What Car???

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A mate has got one and the only prob he had was the coil packs - he's now had 3 yrs and that is all he had go wrong.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just got one myself having owned the TDI leon FR and a MKIV gti 20v....

By far and away the BEST car I've owned as 'standard'. It wont be stayng that way mind as its got great potential. As Chris says it handles very well compared to ANY MKIV.... trim is good and I had no issues with a years ownership of the previous Leon.

Im well chuffed i went back to petrol, and cant wait to remap and exhaust this one 270's is all good and it looks stunnig without any styling, I just want to go lower!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Great cars. I know a guy with a 225 and it has the same Recaro's I've got in my car. It's done about 30k, has no rattles, handles like a dream, and it's rapid.

More worthy of the GTI badge than the mk4.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Funny...why the "rose tinted glasses" comment?
You've obviously completely missed the point of my comment it wasn't intended to be funny...

I said rose tinted glasses because if you read the comments from Seat owners above thier cars are perfect when they are renowned for having faults along with just about every make of car out there.

Just have a look over on the website link I posted and you'll find all the common issues assosciated with them.

Like I said earlier they are good cars for the money and are probably better value than the equivelant Golf but they are cheaper for a reason.

I contemplated one to replace my R32 and test drove a fair few both new and used and they all suffered from squeaks and rattles.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yeah, cheaper because some people can see that buying something with 4 rings on the badge doesn't mean you are getting anything better - merely paying more.

I stated the problems i know of above, but as usual you only pick out what you want to. I'd say people like me and Tim who have lived with cars like the Leon for over a year have a somewhat more valid opinion than someone who's had "a few test drives".... dont you?

Lets put it this way, i have one rattle.... big deal, id rather live with a rattle and feel better knowing i;ve saved over ?2k on the equivalent Golf which looks exactly like the 1.4 with some alloys stuck on.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I love the Cupra R....IMO it's one of the best looking VAG hatches.

I almost bought one before I decided on the S3.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Married, Im not claiming, (and I dont think Chris is for that matter) that the Cupra R is the best car ever or anything?? Ive owned a mkiv GTI T and had it 3 years... the car itself was immaculate and highly modified - I loved it to bits and was gutted to sell it! Sure it the Leon didn't compete in power sense cos my first was a TDI... albeit a 150 remapped to 190's. I missed the petrolness of a car. Having owned the Leon over a year I had NO ISSUES whatsoever. I mean NONE! No rattles, no problems with dealers or parts..

As I say I swapped the TDI for the Cupra R and its every bit as good build quality as the MKIV. Perhaps not quite an Audi standard in terms of level of quality interior. But again thats only the likes of the S line cars... afterall the Leon has the full A3 interior! Ive owned the R now for about 3-4 weeks. Touch wood no problems so far. The car itself is as fast as my modified GTI T, AND comes with brembo's up top a larger and more capable turbo (after remapping), better cooling and superbly understated yet aggressive styling. For me its the best car Ive owned.... sure its not an R32, New Sline A3 or Porsche.... but Like Chris has said would you ever be able to pick one of those up in the current market for sub ?15k???

NOT A CHANCE..... The R offers the potential to be an absolute beast, is still RELATIVELY rare and offers quality, reliability and its versatile engine. for me its a no brainer.... Give me ?20+k and Ill agree I 'd take a BMW or Porsche.... but I dont have that money....

Nothing else of similar age can compete with the all round package for me... Thats my opinion..

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Yeah, cheaper because some people can see that buying something with 4 rings on the badge doesn't mean you are getting anything better - merely paying more.

I stated the problems i know of above, but as usual you only pick out what you want to. I'd say people like me and Tim who have lived with cars like the Leon for over a year have a somewhat more valid opinion than someone who's had "a few test drives".... dont you?

Lets put it this way, i have one rattle.... big deal, id rather live with a rattle and feel better knowing i;ve saved over ?2k on the equivalent Golf which looks exactly like the 1.4 with some alloys stuck on.
Actually what I was trying to point out was these cars are not perfect and do have there faults. But from reading your comments above anyone would think they are perfect.

I was giving an unbiased opinion because I do not own one and do not need to justify having one, good cars yes, perfect? no they have their faults. I also believe that they are cheaper as the materials used on the interior for example is not off the same standard as in the golf.

No I don't think you have a more valid opinion because you own one, your very loyal to seat but I would say you where extremely biased.

Obviously I am extremely pleased for you being so happy with your perfect, reliable car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts