Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Reacro interior on my 1.8T Gti, and the drivers seat has started making a knocking noise from what appears to be the runner at the front, the Stealers say that it is just play caused by gradual Wear but my car is only on 54k so this seems a little premature - has anyone ever had this problem and do you have a fix?

Many thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I reckon it's just a loose bolt or the slider has worn down a bit.

Most likely the frame under the seat has just shook loose.

Disconnect the battery and take the seat out and turn it upside down and make sure the front slider is tight and check the bolts around the edges of the base.

Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem on my 1.8T. I have just bought the Golf which has Recaro interior and is on 84k. The passenger seat is knocking when rocked back and forth or under normal driving conditions. Any help would be great. Gonna have a look at it this week in work so will report back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
same problem here, mine is on 100k so I would expect a little play - any ideas would be appreciated, its possibly just some bolts gone loose?

TIA

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is not a bolt problem but the pressed joints.If you take the seat out and turn it over you will see a series of pins with a flared end.What you need to do is get a heavy hammer and hit the end of the pins whilst holding something hard against the other end of the pin.This will tighten up the pin and resolve your knocking and rocking issues.I have done three sets upto now all with positive results.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is not a bolt problem but the pressed joints.If you take the seat out and turn it over you will see a series of pins with a flared end.What you need to do is get a heavy hammer and hit the end of the pins whilst holding something hard against the other end of the pin.This will tighten up the pin and resolve your knocking and rocking issues.I have done three sets upto now all with positive results.
Excellent - thanks for the advice, ok silly question, I have the early model Recaro seats with Airbags - any precautions that I should take?

TIA

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you reckon it would it be possible to tighten them by getting under them with a huge great pair of slipjoint pliers. Are the runners/pins accessible this way?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
is it the 2 pins one above the other? with small legs coming off them if you know what i mean? iv hit them got a hammer and screw driver to it and it still clunks. but i didnt put nothing on the other side when hit it.so i dont think it is tight.gona try again tomoz i think.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The pins you hit run down the centre of the seat frame.I think we are talking about the same ones.If you post a pic I can show you which ones,

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
so they run from the front of the seat to the rear underneath? are they on a runner type thing or just a pin holding 2 pieces tagether? just need a good idea as im gona try it tomoz and wanna hurry with it cus it sooooo cold. cheers for the info mate really is helping. and wanna get it fixed cus it sound crap lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just crawled under my seats.In the pic the circled bit is one of the parts that causes the knocking you will see the other pin above it once the seat is removed.They seemed to be a pressed joint with no adjustment.With the wear and tear of daily use they get a little worn and with having no bushes they knock.What you need to do is give it a good bash with a small heavy hammer whilst holding something against the other side of the pin.I used a bar and wedged it against the garage.This way all your energy goes into compressing the pin.Trust me it works but dont be limp wristed with the hammer[:p]

Once complete spray a bit of lube or grease onto the joints just to keep them smooth.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
ok im gona drag my car into the garage in a min after this cup of tea ;) and have a go.ill let you know how i get on...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
ok just done it the RIGHT WAY now using something to support it on the other side as you hit them. last time i just hit them so it was pointless...

its worked and its sooo easy for anyone who hasnt done thins just go do it. it only taken 35mins.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
**** B you're a legend! This must be the first time I've ever seen a definitive fix for this problem [:D][y]

I'll try it on my passenger seat sometime soon, thanks! Pat

·
Registered
403 Posts
**** B you're a legend! This must be the first time I've ever seen a definitive fix for this problem [:D][y]

I'll try it on my passenger seat sometime soon, thanks! Pat
Well thank you Pat lol.

I test all options before the stealers come into my head.I am just glad someone used the info and got a result[Y]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts