Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking on vw.co.uk and when you s elect SE from the list on the golf page you dont get a choice of engines, the SE on the bar then changes to Match. Why are they messing around with specs again??! Now I have a car thats no longer in production [:(]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Me too. Nevermind though, still the same engines and the differences are minor.

I do like the USB/ipod prep and body coloured bump strips.

Have a look at the exterior paint colours, not many to choose from at the moment.

On the mk4 the match came out just over a year before we got the mk5.

I wonder if the life of the mk5 is progressing faster than the mk4's with all these model revisions. Leading to a mk5.5 or mk6 sooner than we think.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think the differences are a bit more than minor - you get the body coloured side mouldings and door handles etc (black plastic ones made the SE look naff), plus they are throwing in an alarm, auto lights, auto wipers, centre arm rest, ipod prep, cruise control, highline computer and mult-function wheel.

Prices start at £14,995 RRP for the 1.6FSI (5-door).

Downsides: alloys are only 15", you pay extra for dual zone climate (as usual) but apart from that, a smart looking, well equipped Golf for the money.

See http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/match

·
Registered
37 Posts
To me the changes are minor. We are not talking of a new engine here. Body coloured mouldings can easily be changed in place of the black plastic ones.

Also, the SE has an alarm, auto lights and wipers, cruise control, etc. An arm rest and ipod/usb prep is also not a big difference.

Nevertheless, I agree the spec is better than the old SE.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I think the differences are a bit more than minor - you get the body coloured side mouldings and door handles etc (black plastic ones made the SE look naff), plus they are throwing in an alarm, auto lights, auto wipers, centre arm rest, ipod prep, cruise control, highline computer and mult-function wheel.

Prices start at £14,995 RRP for the 1.6FSI (5-door).

Downsides: alloys are only 15", you pay extra for dual zone climate (as usual) but apart from that, a smart looking, well equipped Golf for the money.

See http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/match
Sounds a good price, although you've got to add the price of metallic paint and I'd, of course, want a sunroof which would add another £400 or thereabouts. However all the other extras that I would have liked, but never got, are now standard fit - at least at the moment!!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have just ordered an SE & now I don't know whether I'll be getting that or a Match. Hope I don't have to pay the extra.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When they brought out the Mark IV Golf Match it was near the end of the production run. Does this mean the Mark VI is imminent?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have the MK IV version of the Match and I really like it a had a great spec for the price ( Alarm, Air Con, 15" Avus alloys Illuminated Sun visors).  Looking at this match spec is even better Alarm, Alloys, Colour coding plus even the arm rest is standard.  Bit more costly but the increased spec make up for it.  I would buy one.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here is the full spec here what a great spec

12V socket in luggage compartment
Additional storage compartment in the roof console
Alarm with interior protection
Alloy wheels, four 6 1/2J x 15 'Canberra' with 195/65 R15 tyres and anti-theft wheel bolts
Automatic coming/leaving home lighting function
Bag hooks in luggage compartment, x 2
Body-colored side bump strips and door handles
Body-coloured bumper strips
Body-coloured door mirrors with integrated indicators
Cruise Control
Dusk sensor, automatic driving lights
Electric windows, rear
Front centre armrest
Front comfort seats with height and lumbar adjustment
Front footwell illumination
Front seat back storage pockets
iPod preparation by Individual including front centre armrest, two rear air vents and cup holders
Load-through provision
Multifunction steering wheel including highline computer, leather gear knob and handbrake grip
Radio/CD player with 8 speakers
Rain sensor and automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror
Reading lights, chrome surrounds, independent front and rear
Two-tone horn
Upholstery - 'Opera' loop-velour
Vanity mirrors - illuminated

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have the MK IV version of the Match and I really like it a had a great spec for the price
Me too (until I got the Mk V anyway). It was a good spec but I agree this is better. I bought my Mk IV in January 2004, new, from a main dealer as one of the last of the Mk IV's (the Mk V was just arriving in the showroom). I think it was £11,000 after discount (for a 1.6). This new Mk V car could be purchased with 10% off at £13,500 so I think it represents good value for money with the extra spec items that add to the enjoyment of the ownership experience.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rang the dealer & changed the order to a Match. I'm over the moon [:D] even with an 8 week wait. Sold my MKIV Match already so will have to borrow my wife's Corsa.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Rang the dealer & changed the order to a Match
Good for you - its a good specification and the result will be a car thats just a bit better looking than it might have been. You will appreciate the multi-function wheel, highline computer and armrest every time you drive the car and externally, having less black plastic trim, it will look just a bit nicer, particularly in the paler colours.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Rang the dealer & changed the order to a Match
Good for you - its a good specification and the result will be a car thats just a bit better looking than it might have been. You will appreciate the multi-function wheel, highline computer and armrest every time you drive the car and externally, having less black plastic trim, it will look just a bit nicer, particularly in the paler colours.
I agree 100% Mark.

Anyone know what the price difference is between retail for what was the SE and the new Match?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The SE 1.6 was £15,375 & the Match is £14,995
That sounds like a great deal then compared with the SE.

Personally, I would prefer if they left the SE designation. To me, MATCH reminds me of the ridiculous Polo with multi-coloured body panels!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
To me, MATCH reminds me of the ridiculous Polo with multi-coloured body panels!
Was that called the 'Harlequin' or something like that Ken? I remember seeing it for the first time at the London Motor Show - unbelievable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts