Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, just interested what the official SDi figures were and what owners were getting on a day to day basis

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Oooh the interest in SDis is overwhelming [:)]
About 52mpg, pretty much the same as the TDI's.

Would reccomend a TDI over an SDI though, SDI's are hard work to get going. I've driven a caddy van with the SDI engine, hard work!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A mate had an SDi Polo as a courtesy car and it was quite possibly the slowest thing I have ever travelled in, and compares with the 1.2 4x4 Panda I drove last year lol (and that was painfully slow!)

Just wondering if their fuel consumption was much better than say a 1.9TDI 90. Obviously not, hence I can see why they never sold en mass. The fact that you have to work them hard to get anywhere probably would put them on par with a TDI which has some midrange punch.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
A mate had an SDi Polo as a courtesy car and it was quite possibly the slowest thing I have ever travelled in, and compares with the 1.2 4x4 Panda I drove last year lol (and that was painfully slow!)

Just wondering if their fuel consumption was much better than say a 1.9TDI 90. Obviously not, hence I can see why they never sold en mass. The fact that you have to work them hard to get anywhere probably would put them on par with a TDI which has some midrange punch.
On the plus side though, they are one of the most reliable engines ever built. Most of the Octavia Taxi's and such have the SDI engines. Seen them with 350k plus on the clock and still selling well!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

On the plus side though, they are one of the most reliable engines ever built. Most of the Octavia Taxi's and such have the SDI engines. Seen them with 350k plus on the clock and still selling well!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very true, but would you want to be driving 8 plus hours a day/night in an SDI...

I can see their appeal as frugal and reliable workhorses, but if I was doing taxi driver mileage, I would want something a little more stimulating maybe?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Combined fuel economy of 55.4mpg, top speed 99mph, 0-60 in 17.2sec - Jesus, that's slow. In reality, you'd get the same as a TDI as their combined figures are about 53, though my TDI 90 has an official rating of 57.6mpg, top speed of 112, 0-60 in 12.6. Though the re-map's sorted that out now! (And the clutch [:S])

There was a T reg octavia with 348000on the clock on ebay a few weeks ago that went for £795 or £895!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
They are painfully slow lol.. my brothe had one before.. and there was no point trying to race it lol so just drove it as a cruising car... and fuel consumption wasn't great iirc.. as to get it moving you had to semi rag it..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
372 Posts
My brother drives a company 2003 Golf SDI and he gets 50mpg. It is very hard work to get going to and get anywhere quickly you have to kill it. Reliability suffers as a consequence. And as mentioned above, they are indeed very very slow.

Click here to watch a 2003 Golf SDI do 0-100mph
It starts of sort of OK but really struggles from 60 onward!

It was like my TDI 130 when the turbo shut down a couple of months ago - back to SDI power (or lack of)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I was getting around 52 mpg and even calculated 56mpg on a long run with my old SDi, a lot better than my current TDi. Very rarely get 50 mpg now, if I get 46 mpg I'm doing well. They are quite slow like most guys say, but it is fine for motorway cruising.

Allan, has Neil still got his SDi, I mind how he hated it when I bought his old interior from him.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Was it you that bought Neils GTi interior? Thats a while ago now! He had a 1.6S Jazz Blue MK4 Golf and had to sell it run the SDi.

He still has the SDi and despises it but just gets on with it now. Motorway cruising is OK on anything other than a hill [:S]

He reckons he will be due a new car by the end of the year though and is hoping it will not be a MK5 Golf SDi as they are supposed to be much the same!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Was it you that bought Neils GTi interior? Thats a while ago now! He had a 1.6S Jazz Blue MK4 Golf and had to sell it run the SDi.

He still has the SDi and despises it but just gets on with it now. Motorway cruising is OK on anything other than a hill [:S]

He reckons he will be due a new car by the end of the year though and is hoping it will not be a MK5 Golf SDi as they are supposed to be much the same
Yeah that was me that bought it some time last year. Still loving it - so much better than the standard Bora SE seats I had. He said he hoped he was getting a TDi cos of all the driving he was doing up north on wee roads, that he needed some power for overtaking. Was gonna say to his boss that it was dangerous due to its lack of power lol. Hope he gets someting nice for his new car.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Being an SDI owner myself I have to say its def not one of the
best models out there, - its slow, very basic, and sound like a ford
transit when stationery ! lol

But since having it for more than a year you sort of get used to all of it and it does give me around 45mpg.

I manily cruise about in it rather than having to rag it all the
time but sometimes thats the only way it actually moves anywhere[:)]

0-60 takes bloody ages ! and with 68bhp its hardly quick of the mark ..

But def going to upgrade to a 1.8T next year [:D]

And its not like the insurance on it is cheap... oh well, you live and learn...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Diesels run very lean compared to petrol. So they need a turbo to give more air to allow for a reasonable fuel mix. Not sure how that effects economy.

TDi 115 upwards they really fly!! 130 and 150 models are very rapid for diesels and fun to drive, often forgetting its a tractor!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts