Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered many times before but......
I was in need of some screen wash today, but unfortunately I was some way from a VW dealers (I do usually use the 'proper' stuff, it's cheap and smells nice), so I popped into the nearby SEAT dealers thinking that they would have the same stuff.? But SEAT do their own brand of products and not the generic VAG stuff, so I asked whether it was the same and if it was OK with the fan-jets, they just looked at me blankly and didn't know what I was on about!
Does anyone know if it's the same or do I have to make a special trip to VW?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If its VAG stuff it should be the same. The stuff VW retailers sell actually has the Seat, Skoda, Audi and VW logos on the label so its not unique to VW!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I am part of the any old stuff will do brigade. No probalems for me and I always have a clean windscreen.
we use this because it will not block heated fan jets and is cheap. If you use 'any old stuff' and the jets block you will get even less help than usual from your retailer, warranty or not.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought all of the VAG group would sell the same stuff, but this was in a red SEAT bottle and had no mention that it was suitable for fan-jets.? It seems SEAT are removing the VAG products and replacing them with their own branded items, I didn't want to assume it was the same screenwash (it didn't smell of lemons!).
I take it that the newer SEATs are using the same fan-jets as the Golfs so they should require the same standard of screenwash.?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I am part of the any old stuff will do brigade. No probalems for me and I always have a clean windscreen.
we use this because it will not block heated fan jets and is cheap. If you use 'any old stuff' and the jets block you will get even less help than usual from your retailer, warranty or not.
Not so.

I go through gallons of screenwash and have always used any old stuff with no problems at all.

However if the heated fan jets are different to non heated ones you may have a point.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Not so.

I go through gallons of screenwash and have always used any old stuff with no problems at all.

However if the heated fan jets are different to non heated ones you may have a point.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I did not say "If you use non VAG stuff your jets will clog", I was making the point that if they do clog and you are not using the VAG stuff the dealer will attribute the problem to that and may not be very helpful in rectifying it under warranty.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If they did clog its a 2 minute job to un-clip them and run them under a hot tap... Definately

not a dealer job...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
On a car under warranty anything apart from topping up the oil and fuel is a potemtial dealer issue. Many people would not have the first ideal how to remove the jets.

·
Registered
360 Posts
On a car under warranty anything apart from topping up the oil and fuel is a potemtial dealer issue. Many people would not have the first ideal how to remove the jets.
Id agree if someone has zero comon-sense they should take it to a dealer, but Id hope most people would see that its more convenient to do something like this yourself. And for the record Ive always used "any-old" screenwash in my MkV and both previous MkIV's, and only had to flush a jet out once.

Chris

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
VAG Screenwash! No disrespect but isn't that a bit anal?!?

I've always used "any old stuff" no clogged jets, no problems, nice clean screen!

Clogged washer jet! I think you should take it to the dealers and get a new bonnet!!! [:p]

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VAG Screenwash! No disrespect but isn't that a bit anal?!?

I've always used "any old stuff" no clogged jets, no problems, nice clean screen!

Clogged washer jet! I think you should take it to the dealers and get a new bonnet!!! [:p]
'Anal'? - not really, the VAG stuff is cheaper than most other brands and keeps with the recomendations (why should you not use a recomended fluid just because it's screenwash?) I would use it all the time if I didn't have to go well out of my way to visit my nearest VW dealers. This was the point of my OP; my local SEAT dealership was NOT selling the VAG screenwash but their own branded stuff (red bottle) which no one at the dealers could tell me if it was safe to use with fan-jets (there was very little info on the bottle), which I found odd considering the newer SEATs use the same fan-jets as the Golf.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
DO VW actually state that you have to use VW fluid or warranty would not be honoured?  I am sure Watchdog et al would have a field day if they tried that on. 

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
DO VW actually state that you have to use VW fluid or warranty would not be honoured? I am sure Watchdog et al would have a field day if they tried that on.
Don't now about 'use it or the warranty isn't honoured', but I'm pretty sure it says in the handbook to only use the VAG stuff.

It's cheaper than any of the other stuff I've seen anyway (surprisingly!), which is good enough reason for me to use it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think this is a lot simper than people think it is. The screen wash situation is similar (though less important) to the engine oil situation. We all know that VW don't make thier own screen wash, prob the guys who make Halfords screen wash make the VW one. So yes, the fan jets are different and prob clogg easier than normal ones but I think its VW protecting itself from people using really cheapo screen wash which may lead to clogging.

With regards to the above post about it being easy to unblock a line, its usually the rear one on mk iv's that goes. This causes the hose to pop off under pressure.

I think the VW screen wash is very good quite cheap but I don't think using decent Halfords branded screen wash would do any harm.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'm with the 'any old stuff will do' brigade. Always used whatever is the cheapest. I buy in bulk. I think my last purchase was 2.5l of the Car Club stuff from Asda. I slap it in at any concentration I want depending on the season. Never had one single problem on any car. But then again I have never had heated washer jets.

Plus the amount of screenwash I go through, I wouldnt pay silly money to buy silly 250ml VAG stamped containers. I'd rather risk my cominal garden stuff thanks.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I wouldnt pay silly money to buy silly 250ml VAG stamped containers.
Silly money? You are missing a trick - the VAG stuff is ?2.04 a litre! Probably the chepaest product they sell and a good one too - smells lovely.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I still prefer the fresh Vodkaesque smell of the cheap stuff [;)]

Plus the last but one lot of stuff I bought cost me ?2.09 too. Difference is I got a 5 litre container for that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts