Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a rather loud screeching noise from my steering when turning the wheel whilst the car is stationary but it's not noticeable during normal driving.

Just checked the power steering fluid and that seems ok.

Any ideas of what to check next, sounds like it could be an expensive one to fix [:'(]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not too bad - there's not too much room to see the aux. belt, as it's buried at the front of the engine. There's two possibilities,

Belt worn out and slipping = new belt.

Aux belt tensioner failed = belt slack, new tensioner.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just spoke to a friend of mine at Audi, he reckons the belt is slipping and to add some more tension to it as a temporary fix but the belt probably does need replacing.

The question is, how do I add tension to the belt?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not sure that's possible, as the tensioner is self-adjusting.

Guess you *could* try putting a spanner onto the lug normally used to remove the tension (to swap belt), and try and move the tensioner into a slightly "tighter" position?

Doubt it will work, myself.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

Fitted a new belt which cured the screeching noise but the steering then started to make a 'gurgling' sound when turning the wheel (whilst the car was stationary.)

Bought a new tensioner and fitted it this evening, problem gone! [:D]

The old tensioner must have been completely shot because it was vibrating like crazy! There's only minimal vibration with the new one [Y]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Just found out that my problem is not related to the belt slipping

Last night i got the all too familiar knocking noise, looks like new bearings, struts etc for me

That would be the 5th time now

Hafizur

·
Registered
918 Posts
You should avoid turning the steering whilst the car is stationary because it puts huge loads on the system - hence the belt slipage only when turning the steering whilst stationary.

It's not that hard to break this habit.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, i'm aware of that.

I was also experiencing this noise whilst the car was moving slowly - i.e. reverse parking, 3 point turns etc.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have this same problem and I know I need to replace the tensioner, are they easy to change yourself? I'd prefer to to save the hard earned [:)]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dead easy mate, it's held on by 3 13mm bolts.

The hardest part is getting the belt back on lol [:$]

·
Registered
824 Posts
I know I'm dragging up an ageing post again, but gave the changing of the tensioner a go earlier, first time I've tried anything like this. Now, I got the old one off no problem, got the new one on and bolted up but the belot was slack due to the metal rod in the way. I took the tensioner back off again, removed the metal rod, now I can't get the tensioner to line up as it's too stiff on the belt. I tried putting the old tensioner back in and I can only get one of the 3 bolts to line up again, the belt doesn't slip too much,but I'm not sure it's safe to drive etc. How did you get the belt back on and the tensioner in place, or have I messed it up?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need to remove the belt, then fit the tensioner.

Ensure the safety pin has been removed from the tensioner before fitting it.

Then get a 13mm spanner and place it over the lug on the tensioner, pull the tensioner all the way forward.

Fit the belt and then gently release the tensioner (i.e. move it back with the spanner).

It's easier if you get someone else to hold the tensioner forward while you place the belt in the correct position.

HTH.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks for that Sem, i'll give it a go this evening. But, I'm not sure I'll be able to move the tensioner at all as it's really strong, I never tried with the lug, but pushed it everywhere else possible with no movement at all! But I'll give it a go all the same, cheers!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You definately need to move it with a spanner on the lug otherwise you have absolutely no chance getting the belt back on!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Right,that's filled me with a little more confidence after my hour of grazing hands and stress last night, hopefully all will be sorted. Cheers Sem!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts