Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic instrument cover has lots of scratches on it. What suggestions or products will make it look better or even completely remove them?

I was thinking of getting some plastX - would this help? What about using AG Glass polish? It really annoys me as it makes the interior look dirty, even though the plastics and carpets are clean. [:(]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'd be interested in this too. Goodness know what the previous owner used to clean/store on the instrument cover on mine (he only had the car for >2 years and 20k) - there are loads of scratches at the bottom of the cluster (probably stored pens there or something).

I've heard before that brasso is supposed to help as it is mildly abrasive.Does anyone else know?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
may sound daft but mine had lots of minor scratches all over and everytime i polished the car i just gave the screen a polish and its made a great differance lol...i used megs stage2 polish [;)]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd be interested in this too. Goodness know what the previous owner used to clean/store on the instrument cover on mine (he only had the car for >2 years and 20k) - there are loads of scratches at the bottom of the cluster (probably stored pens there or something).

I've heard before that brasso is supposed to help as it is mildly abrasive.Does anyone else know?
The two products I use for cleaning up scratches as you mention are Meguiar's PlastX can be found in Halfords, or the other and my personal favourite is the Wolfgang plastic lens kit available from MotorGeek (http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/wolfgang-plastic-lens-p-139.html) this is expensive but really the best i've found anywhere, a little goes a very long way

·
Registered
423 Posts
Displex is incredible. I bought some of ebay last week for the instrument plastic face and it is as new now. Used it on my mobile then and it got rid of the marks on that as well

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you only have to apply it once, or does the product fill the scratches only slowly wear-off itself?

I have used a CD restorer polish, used for removing scratches on CDs, and this helped, but seemed to not last and now all the scratches are back :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
I couldnt answer that really as I only applied it about two weeks ago. Its is very strange stuff though, white, very tough and sticky and really needs to be rubbed in hard and buffs up clear. Id say it is like a clear kind of filler.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I tried Displex on my mobile phone display and it got rid of all the fine scratches completely.  I think it's a mircopolish rather than a filler.  I say that because it's much more effective when rubbed in with a bit of pressure.  Haven't tried it on the Golf but there's no reason why it wouldn't work equally well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thanks for the info peeps - found displex on ebay, so I thought I'd give this a try first as it is cheaper than the Wolfgang product, but I'll make sure I test it on my mobile before it goes anywhere near the car!!!

I'll let you know how I get on...

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Displex rocks [y] I used it on a 3-4" long surface scratch on my dials about a year ago and it never reappeared. It makes it look like there's actually no plastic there, can't recommend it enough

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the info peeps - found displex on ebay, so I thought I'd give this a try first as it is cheaper than the Wolfgang product, but I'll make sure I test it on my mobile before it goes anywhere near the car!!!

I'll let you know how I get on...
I would suggest a soft micro fibre cloth to buff it up with if you purchased the displex with free cloth. It doesnt really remove enough of the residue Really good stuff though.

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Toothpaste!!

Used it when my dad got his Polo, you could hardly see the display for scratches (looked like it had been cleaned with a scourer). Went to work with the toothpaste (used Aquafresh for reference!) working it in. Its hard to polish off, but after about 4 goes with it, you can't see any scratches now.

I was amazed. Try this first before buying some special stuff.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thanks jrw - i can well believe it - I've heard of people using toothpaste on their windscreens before to help reduce smearing, etc!!

i had a go with the displex on saturday - it's really sticky, and didn't seem to dry, but made a definite improvement on the scratches. I'm going to have another go as it did seem to remove and reduce the fine scratches - there are just a few deeper ones left in the corner of the cluster that need a bit more attention.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did anyone have any success with the toothpaste or Displex?

On a side note, has anyone managed to get the dust out of the cluster, without removing the whole thing?

·
Registered
123 Posts
T cut works well to remove scratches on plastic.
I wouldn't reccomend that on interior plastics at all. It's far to abrasive and could cause a right mess. You need a really fine polish such as PlastX and a very soft microfibre contamination free cloth otherwise you can easily make things worse.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have a sample of plastX which I used the other day in a range rover on a piece of wood trim, about a 6 inch scratch the was in your face and my eyes would go to it everytime I got in the car, so I attacked it and most of it has come out. But its certainly an improvement and unless you tilt you head and see it in a certain light you wouldnt know it was there. Good stuff IMO.

Samples from www.elitecarcare.co.uk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts